Short Distance VS Faster Distance

Share general news, ideas and discussions about GPS and GPS navigation

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discuss general GPS and GPS navigation topics only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Guys please check on this

Postby silverbeauty » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:53 pm

I had noticed long time ago the Garmin navigation algorithm sometimes makes the illogical decision. It favors taking small roads vs taking freeways, sometimes favors taking longer routes vs logical shorter routes ...

Had been trying combination of avoidance with same results

Concluded it has to do with fastest time vs shorter route selection and also how the map was coded ie.. # of traffic lights, number of junctions, road speed limits, tolls, school zones etc.......

There was a discussion on this here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1681&start=0

moved to relevant thread

Immortal25

Re: Short Distance VS Faster Distance

Postby Immortal25 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:25 pm

Shorter usually brings me to lots of traffic lights...becomes very slow to reach destination. Wish that in M'Sia we can have live timing of traffic jams.
Anyways I have a question myself, is it not possible to get the GPS to remember a specific route that we the drivers choose? Sometimes we know of shortcuts that even the GPS may not know and am just wondering if it can remember to use that route next time.

al_razi05

Re: Short Distance VS Faster Distance

Postby al_razi05 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:23 pm

my experience.... if in city (below 100km) i suggest to use faster time. if more than 100km is suggest to see the route first. when i want to go back to my hometown, faster time use the longer distance (400km) with 3h50m. for shorter distance (300km) with 4h30m but i manage to arrive at same time of using faster time. dont believe 100% on your nuvi

Return to “General GPS Forum”