Short Distance VS Faster Distance

Share general news, ideas and discussions about GPS and GPS navigation

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discuss general GPS and GPS navigation topics only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
fauzee
Polygon Mapper

Short Distance VS Faster Distance

Postby fauzee » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:40 pm

Hai Members..i just wanna know where is better to setup in my Navigation 200W....because i was use this 2 setting..and nuvis goes many different route...sometimes SHORTER Distance is good...sometimes FASTER is good...when i use shorter, the route goes many junction on road and sometimes wrong road but when use faster, nuvis got long distance and out of main road.. :nutz: ..](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ..are u suggest me to change setting following the situation....or just choose better one!!!!!!!!please help me...
~Lost Is Nothing~
...PLEASE INSTALL THE LATEST MAPS BEFORE DOIN' SOMETHIN'...

edchuang (retired)
Regional Mapper (retired)
Location: Shah Alam (GMXT+i-Blue747 Logger, Holux GPSmile62 Pro)

Re: Short Distance VS Faster Distance

Postby edchuang (retired) » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:23 am

The selection is based on personal preferrence. For me, from 8pm to 6am plus Sunday and public holiday, I use shorter distance -->Save toll money. From 6am to 8pm from Monday to Saturday, I use faster time -->Avoid traffic jammed but :$gone: for toll.

If I driving in KL city area, i always use shorter distance because whatever you select, traffic constantly Jammed!! :x

:tq:

SOSweet

Postby SOSweet » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:23 am

Whether to choose shorter route or faster time is entiry up to individual perference.
In shorter route mode, you go throught all the town areas with lot of traffic lights and congested roads. Distant travelled shorter but time taken to travel might be longer.
In faster time, you travel most of the time on expressway with little or no traffic lights B 4 you reach your destination. Most likely, your milage will be more, and reach you destination faster.
Your choice.
HEALTHY LIVING :
Eat Less - Salt & Sugar
Do More - Exercise & Good Deeds

vash_h

Postby vash_h » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:25 am

this is personal selection.. different ppl has different preferences.

i personally prefer faster route. shorter distance sometimes brings u into residential and lorongs while the main road is jst right there (longer distance but faster cruising speed, with no jams, that is..)
<-My Blog: HaroldChia.com->
<-MFM MAPS + Garmin Nuvi 50LM + Papago Z1 + Garmin Nuvi 205w + Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 ->

mooncake2

Postby mooncake2 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:16 pm

This is very subjective and I agree that the Nuvi doesn't really pick the best route due to unavailability of traffic information. For eg, route A is the main road to office, but it is jammed pack in the morning. If you select "faster route", it'll bring you to this hell route since this is the main road (supposedly fastest way to office).

The solution to this is for Malaysia to provide traffic info and Nuvi able to read it. Is this already available anywhere in M'sia? I know UK has this useful capability.

jeremaze
Polygon Mapper

Postby jeremaze » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:27 pm

I will check the route if I need to go to a unfamiliar destination especially outstation.
I will always follow my own decision if I am in the familiar place, I prefer to set as 'Faster Time'.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/10000-People-Request-Garmin-to-provide-Compiler-to-MFM-Malfreemapscom/256105137738698

ajay

Postby ajay » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:52 pm

i prefer faster time & use highways instead of shorter distance but got too many traffic lights in most cases. but if i were to travel maybe just <10km away, then use shorter distance la
from Garmin Que for Pocket PC to Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile to Nuvi 205W to Papago M9 for Android & now Garmin Nuvi 2576.

yc1437

Postby yc1437 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:04 am

IMO i rather choose faster time than shorter distance. Sometime for shorter distance the gps device just lead you to no-man land shortcut or strange kampung road --> safety concern (well no offence for villagers :mrgreen: )
时间存在的惟一理由是,如此才不会所有事情同时发生 - 爱因斯坦

GPS: Nuvi 3790

fruitplus
Polygon Mapper

Postby fruitplus » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:18 am

very subjective...
depend on you,your place or destination..
cross country or in city area..
sometimes may use your 6th sense
:thumbsup:

:rox:
Past + Present = Future

sharkteef
Valued Contributor

Postby sharkteef » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:24 am

my shorter route brings me through a 10000 traffic lights. (parlimen/masjid jamek/BB)

PJ ----> RHB sg besi.

Return to “General GPS Forum”