Garmin Mobile XT V5.00.20 for Symbian S60 3rd Edition

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
toytoy

Re: Garmin Mobile XT for Symbian S60 3rd Ed version 5.00.20

Postby toytoy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:48 pm

edgarchen wrote:
toytoy wrote:This morning in the car i can't get a lock on after waiting for 3 mins, finally rolled down the window and got a weak lock on for 4 sats, closed the window and signal lost after some time.

Is your car stationary during these period of time?

Hi edgar, yes my car was stationary, i left the phone on my dashboard.

@limhkc : I m using E71 :D The gps unit shud be working well. Coz i did a hot/warm start previous night and it locks on quite fast.

UPDATE : Yesterday b4 i went back home i spend around 5-6 mins in my car with window rolled down and try to get signal. It was just like the previous night when i did a cold start. Took long time to lock onto satelllites.

I try to lock on to as many sats as i could be rolling up the window. Finally got to 10 and rolled up the window. Signal was around 3 bars when the phone is near passenger seat window (my gf holding the phone for me :p) and near windscreen. But as soon as the phone is away from the window/windscreen the signal is lost.

I m sure the solar film is affecting the sat signal like bro limhkc said.

But i think as long as i get the phone as near to the windscreen as possible it shud be fine.

What car mount should i get for Nokia E71? I m planning to change the solar film soon and i can't afford those branded ones. Should i do a test on sat reception b4 applying the films? hehe.

ykhean

Postby ykhean » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:43 pm

My experience was to get a lock before you get into the car, then it will be fine. When outdoor, it usually can lock on very quickly, within 2-3 minutes. Then I just leave my phone at the speedometer and so far, no lost of signal. I am on v-kool too and I don't need to have my windows down as well.
New to GPS but eagar to learn more..!!
www.aboutpatiodesigns.com

jans_wkh
Valued Contributor

Postby jans_wkh » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:25 pm

toytoy wrote:
I m sure the solar film is affecting the sat signal like bro limhkc said.

Seems like your tinted film is worst than v-kool. :shock: Mind telling what brand you are using, so members can avoid such film in the future?

toytoy wrote:
What car mount should i get for Nokia E71?

Nowadays, you can get these from the night market which costs less than RM30. Look around for choices, and make sure you get those with adjustable grips and supports because you would need dc connections for your e71 while you drive around. My 1st mount comes with fixed support which is in the way of the dc connection. #-o

toytoy

Postby toytoy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:42 pm

I m not sure what brand it is coz it's already there when i got the car but i m sure it's not branded stuffs.

V-Kool can cause bad signals? The more expensive the film is the lower the signal??

Are there any short mounts that look like the that comes with nuvi? :D

I'll go hunt for one this weekend hehehe.

Thanks for the info.

OlgaC4

Postby OlgaC4 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:37 pm

Yes, V-kool cut my 60csz signal about 60-80%.

limhkc

Postby limhkc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:12 pm

I'm quite sure all solar/tinted films, cheap or expensive, will affect the satellite signal. The best way would be to have the film installer to cut a hole where you are are gonna place the phone/GPSr, but it will probably look ugly if you have in mounted in the middle of the windscreen!
Alternative I can think of, is to mount it somewhere above your IU, and stick something, like the road-tax holder (dunno what that thing is called! :P And hopefully that will help disguise the hole!
-Chris
MobileXT S60 on N95 8Gb

aloexdeloex

Postby aloexdeloex » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:34 am

vash_h wrote:gmxt 5.00.20 works fine on 6110.. but either u buy from garmin or revert to the dark side..

Hi,

thx for your reply, ok lest's go to the dark side of the moon!!

Did you can provide some help for that?

If yes, can you join me on msn, skype, or another chanel please?

Thank you in advance for your help,

@lex from Belgium. ( :mrgreen: very very cold country! :mrgreen: )

yc1437

Postby yc1437 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:29 pm

Talking about the crappy tiny alert field that appear in MXT trigger on speed trap or road camera & also the position cursor lagging issue, i got update from garmin:

Dear YC,

About the problem we discuss before:

1. Position cursor: Our technicians have tuned the performance and it will be fixed in next version.

2. Alert field: It's still under discussion.

Best regards,

Denise Ting
Marketing Dept, GARMIN Corp.
Add: No. 68, Jhangshu 2nd Road, Sijhih, Taipei County 221, Taiwan
Tel: 02-2642-8999 Ext: 6866
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2008 9:23 AM
To: 'YC Ng'
Subject: RE: Garmin MXT 5.00.20 with 10X GPSr Bluetoth Auto On Problem<<Garmin Service Track#20081211_E026E>>

Dear YC,

Thanks for contacting GARMIN corp. Your mail has been forwarded on to us from Garmin International.

1. Our technicians will test the problem and try to tune the performance.

2. I'll pass this message to the related department to see if it's possible to make it larger. Thanks for your suggestion.

Best regards,

Denise Ting
Marketing Dept, GARMIN Corp.
Add: No. 68, Jhangshu 2nd Road, Sijhih, Taipei County 221, Taiwan
Tel: 02-2642-8999 Ext: 6866

时间存在的惟一理由是,如此才不会所有事情同时发生 - 爱因斯坦

GPS: Nuvi 3790

vash_h

Postby vash_h » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:48 pm

wow.. way to go garmin!!
<-My Blog: HaroldChia.com->
<-MFM MAPS + Garmin Nuvi 50LM + Papago Z1 + Garmin Nuvi 205w + Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 ->

rodzthomas

Postby rodzthomas » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:25 pm

Hi Guys! I installed the latest Version of Gxt and it works fine! Just the lag of the map. ie. i reach a traffic light and only 100meters later it will appear on my screen. is that normal?

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”