Garmin Languages / Voices

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
User avatar
dvpro
Moderator
Posts: 2170
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:09 am
Location: KUL, MY (Handheld, PDA Based)

Re: Garmin Custom Voices

Postby dvpro » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:53 am

Arcanum wrote:Bro, i can't use this on my GMXT leh, i renamed it to english_british and it's either not detected at all or detected but no voice notification.

Are you using latest version of GMXT? Did you rename the file accordingly (note the underscore after the word "british":
dvpro wrote:If the voice is not detected in Settings, rename to original name "English_British_.vpm".

BTW, it works fine in my WM GMXT.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

User avatar
rohimplc
Polygon Mapper
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Kluang, Johor GMXT Garmin 10x + Dopod 818Pro

Re: Garmin Custom Voices

Postby rohimplc » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:47 am

hmmm....
where i can get 'malay' voice ek... [-o<
nomoresesat

User avatar
chee_loong
Contributor
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Bidor/Ipoh/Puchong (nuvi 1350)

Re: Garmin Custom Voices

Postby chee_loong » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:59 am

Axela wrote:No TTS sexy lady voice?? \:D/


Yes... I also wish to download some..
Regards,
Chee Loong (Nuvi 1350)

User avatar
edgarchen
Valued Contributor
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:23 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Garmin Elfred Voice Pack

Postby edgarchen » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:55 am

Garmin has released another voice pack to turn on the mood for Christmas festive seasons.

Elfred Voice Pack

Let Elfred the Elf put you in the holiday spirit with his good humor and great directions. Download Elfred today and make your travels cheery and bright!
* Not compatible with the nüvi 300 series or nüvi 600 series.

http://www8.garmin.com/vehicles/voices/elfred.html
Everyone contribute a bit, eventually we can enjoy and benefit more in our navigation. :thumbsup:

User avatar
chlesoh
Contributor
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: KL ~ eTrex 30, Nuvi 200, Holux M-241

Re: Garmin Custom Voices

Postby chlesoh » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:40 pm

No doubt the voice is sexy but how come all the units, ie KM, meter, miles & feet are all messed up?

I know you guys are exploring alternative fun voices. But can someone care to reload the original british english voice for nuvi 200 as mine is damaged :(

edchuang (retired)
Regional Mapper (retired)
Posts: 752
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:37 am
Location: Shah Alam (GMXT+i-Blue747 Logger, Holux GPSmile62 Pro)

Re: Garmin Custom Voices

Postby edchuang (retired) » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:23 am

chlesoh wrote:No doubt the voice is sexy but how come all the units, ie KM, meter, miles & feet are all messed up?

I know you guys are exploring alternative fun voices. But can someone care to reload the original british english voice for nuvi 200 as mine is damaged :(

You want original british english voice with TTS or without? PM your email address to me or use Garmin Webupdater to load. :D

soulquarianz
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:56 pm

Re: Garmin Custom Voices

Postby soulquarianz » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:45 am

i been playing around with the voice pack by garmin (elfred and dr.nightmare for GMXT and both not working. the only only voice working is the sexy......

what i need was i rename the default sexy voice to other language example portuguese_.vpm. or even american or british.
Kaiser with GMXT

User avatar
stratman2
Valued Contributor
Posts: 366
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:31 am
Location: P. Jaya with Garmin Nuvi 310, eTrex Vista HCx and HTC Incredible S + PapaGo X5 :-)
Contact:

Re: Garmin Custom Voices

Postby stratman2 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:41 am

soulquarianz wrote:i been playing around with the voice pack by garmin (elfred and dr.nightmare for GMXT and both not working. the only only voice working is the sexy......

what i need was i rename the default sexy voice to other language example portuguese_.vpm. or even american or british.



Unfortunately Garmin's festive season voice packs are compatible only with the 200-series Nuvis. By doing this they have sidelined the tens of thousands of 300, 600 and 700-series users. :thumbsdown:

Actually, Garmin voice file names do not have to be, e.g. "English_British_.vpm", "Cantonese_.vpm", "Portugese_.vpm". :nutz:

You can in fact, name them as "A.vpm", "Sexy voice.vpm" or "My favorite voice.vpm" if you want. Those are external Windows file names. What you see displayed on your unit under "Languages" or "Locale" settings are the internal language names. They're the internal language names that are read and recognized by your Nuvi unit, not the external file name.

Internal language file names however, have to comply with Garmin's standard, e.g. "English American", "Catala", "Danish", "Mandarin (China)", etc. There's a utility that can change the internal voice file name (I have it stashed somewhere), but changing to some other alternative language may yield unpredictable voice prompts.
cheers,

Stratman II

User avatar
chee_loong
Contributor
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Bidor/Ipoh/Puchong (nuvi 1350)

Re: Garmin Custom Voices

Postby chee_loong » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:31 am

stratman2 wrote:
You can in fact, name them as "A.vpm", "Sexy voice.vpm" or "My favorite voice.vpm" if you want. Those are external Windows file names. What you see displayed on your unit under "Languages" or "Locale" settings are the internal language names. They're the internal language names that are read and recognized by your Nuvi unit, not the external file name.

Internal language file names however, have to comply with Garmin's standard, e.g. "English American", "Catala", "Danish", "Mandarin (China)", etc. There's a utility that can change the internal voice file name (I have it stashed somewhere), but changing to some other alternative language may yield unpredictable voice prompts.


Hi stratman2,

Not clear what you try to explain on above? Can elaborate more?
Regards,
Chee Loong (Nuvi 1350)

User avatar
stratman2
Valued Contributor
Posts: 366
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:31 am
Location: P. Jaya with Garmin Nuvi 310, eTrex Vista HCx and HTC Incredible S + PapaGo X5 :-)
Contact:

Re: Garmin Custom Voices

Postby stratman2 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:59 pm

chee_loong wrote:
stratman2 wrote:
You can in fact, name them as "A.vpm", "Sexy voice.vpm" or "My favorite voice.vpm" if you want. Those are external Windows file names. What you see displayed on your unit under "Languages" or "Locale" settings are the internal language names. They're the internal language names that are read and recognized by your Nuvi unit, not the external file name.

Internal language file names however, have to comply with Garmin's standard, e.g. "English American", "Catala", "Danish", "Mandarin (China)", etc. There's a utility that can change the internal voice file name (I have it stashed somewhere), but changing to some other alternative language may yield unpredictable voice prompts.


Hi stratman2,

Not clear what you try to explain on above? Can elaborate more?



Hi C.L.,

The language list that shows up in your Garmin unit is not identified from the physical file name, e.g. English_British_.vpm. but rather, the internal language name. If you don't believe me, rename your English_British_.vpm to "Malaysia_.vpm" and guess what...in your language options it still shows up as English_British! You will not find any entry that says "Malaysia" in your list.

What's happening? That's because your GPSr is reading the internal language name, not the physical file name.

To illustrate, these are the contents of my Nuvi 310's language options and the physical file names that I'm using. \:D/
ScreenShot009.jpg


As you can see, I renamed my custom voice files for my easy reference. They need not be American_English.vpm or British_English.vpm, etc. So, if I want my Sponge Bob voice to be my host navigator, I would have to select Mandarin(Taiwan) from the list and if I want the Kitt voice, I'll have to select English_British, etc.

The internal language file names are however, fixed...so I have to use the ones on the list. For the Garmin 2xx-series, Garmin somehow has devised a method to have the language name reflect the true language option.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cheers,

Stratman II


Return to “GPS Software & Apps”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests