Garmin Languages / Voices

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
stratman2
Valued Contributor
Location: P. Jaya with Garmin Nuvi 310, eTrex Vista HCx and HTC Incredible S + PapaGo X5 :-)

Re: Garmin Custom Voices

Postby stratman2 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:03 pm

whitecat wrote:Am using nuvi880 which has voice activation mode.
Preloaded is American accent software. It can't recognise our local accent when we say example, Batu Bakar or Geylang (in spore).
Anyone have idea solving it?? :-? :ko:

I may be wrong, but I don't think there's any way you can get the American TTS voice files to pronounce the Malay vocabulary as it is. A workaround is possible, but it entails having the in-built maps to have the street names changed to "But-too Buck-car" and "Gay-lung" in order to get the TTS voices to pronounce them correctly. :mrgreen:
cheers,

Stratman II

whitecat

Postby whitecat » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:43 am

stratman2 wrote:
whitecat wrote:Am using nuvi880 which has voice activation mode.
Preloaded is American accent software. It can't recognise our local accent when we say example, Batu Bakar or Geylang (in spore).
Anyone have idea solving it?? :-? :ko:

I may be wrong, but I don't think there's any way you can get the American TTS voice files to pronounce the Malay vocabulary as it is. A workaround is possible, but it entails having the in-built maps to have the street names changed to "But-too Buck-car" and "Gay-lung" in order to get the TTS voices to pronounce them correctly. :mrgreen:

Sad, I assumed same, too.
Does it mean local versions (wz TTS) software packs have diff wpm/wav files??
If yes, will copying over their files helps??

imaz

how to install voices? need .sum file

Postby imaz » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:35 am

Hi,

I have downloaded additional voices but only have the .vpm. It seems I also need the 4k .sum file??

jeffserena

Re: how to install voices? need .sum file

Postby jeffserena » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:56 am

hi, where u download the voice?

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:13 am

imaz wrote:Hi,

I have downloaded additional voices but only have the .vpm. It seems I also need the 4k .sum file??

If the voice is compatible with your Nuvi, the VPM voice files should work without the SUM files which are actually checksum files. These checksum files are created by Nuvi periodically to verify the integrity of it's data. However, you can force Nuvi to create/rewrite the SUM files within the diagnostic mode.

At main interface, tap and hold Battery icon for about 7-10 secs to go into diagnostic mode. Then tap Next for next page. Then tap Start Test, wait for Start Test button to dim, and then wait for Stop Test button to dim. When Stop Test button is dimmed, it means the test is complete, and the necessary SUM files have been created. You can also tap More to view the test status. To exit, tap Back > Exit.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

imaz

Postby imaz » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:27 am

jeffserena wrote:hi, where u download the voice?

I downloaded them from here "http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=547" which is on the thread on this forum.

imaz

Postby imaz » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:27 am

dvpro wrote:
imaz wrote:Hi,

If the voice is compatible with your Nuvi, the VPM voice files should work without the SUM files which are actually checksum files. These checksum files are created by Nuvi periodically to verify the integrity of it's data. However, you can force Nuvi to create/rewrite the SUM files within the diagnostic mode.

At main interface, tap and hold Battery icon for about 7-10 secs to go into diagnostic mode. Then tap Next for next page. Then tap Start Test, wait for Start Test button to dim, and then wait for Stop Test button to dim. When Stop Test button is dimmed, it means the test is complete, and the necessary SUM files have been created. You can also tap More to view the test status. To exit, tap Back > Exit.

Thanks!!!

I noticed the voices which are <4MB in size dont pronounce street names.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:09 pm

imaz wrote:Thanks!!!

I noticed the voices which are <4MB in size dont pronounce street names.

You're welcome. The ones that do not speak street names are non Text-To-Speech (TTS) voices, and TTS voice names originally include names of the male/female speaker, ie. English_American_Jill.vpm.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

twinki

Postby twinki » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:52 pm

Help I downloaded the borat vpm file and copied it to the voice folder on my Nuvi255.
My GPS would not start up after that.
What am I doing wrong?

nezloais

Postby nezloais » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:55 pm

I would like to share my experience when downloading these voices.

So I downloaded the Sexy Sedara.vpm , Installation instructions are to move the English_American.vpm to a safe place before installing the new voice. I decided to just rename the file to BackupEnglish_American.vpm and placed inside another directory.

Now when im on the road , The information about the distance given by the voice prompt was completely inaccurate. For example when I have 250 m left for the turn , she will say "200 Kilometers Feet away".

So i got fedup and removed it and put the original voice.

IMHO what sedara says is really cheesy and tasteless. If you ask me.

Oh yea , when I installed the voice , i no longer got alerts when i exceed the speedlimit. :(

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”