Garmin Languages / Voices

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
azlan96

Re: Garmin Languages / Voices

Postby azlan96 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:09 pm

How come city navigator map have better pronunciation than MFM map when it comes to speaking out Malaysian street name?

shakyhand

Postby shakyhand » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:10 pm

Hi everyone,

Years ago when I had my 205W, I downloaded Malay voice with kelantanese slang from this very own MFM forum. Now that I bought a new nuvi 50LM, I would love to put that same Kelantanese slang into my new nuvi. Unfortunately, can't find it. Anyone who knows about it please share..

Regards

neocat

Postby neocat » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:00 pm

Hi, my nuvi 2465 only shows text language for american english, bahasa indonesia, british english, malay and 3 chinese ones by default. Is it possible to enable others e.g. french, spanish or others?

I'd like to try tts voice for other languages which I've downloaded via Webupdate, but couldn't. I found out you'd have to select the appropriate text language first to enable the corresponding tts. I know there's a whole bunch of other languages in /text folder but not sure how they're used. Thanks.

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:28 pm

neocat wrote:Hi, my nuvi 2465 only shows text language for american english, bahasa indonesia, british english, malay and 3 chinese ones by default. Is it possible to enable others e.g. french, spanish or others?

I'd like to try tts voice for other languages which I've downloaded via Webupdate, but couldn't. I found out you'd have to select the appropriate text language first to enable the corresponding tts. I know there's a whole bunch of other languages in /text folder but not sure how they're used. Thanks.

Yes, when the 2465 first came out, you could see plenty of language options available through Webupdater. But several firmware updates later, a lot of the languages are gone. Maybe Garmin Asia thinks Asian customers are not interested in non-Asian languages. I guess the only option is to complain to Garmin.
Garmin nüvi 2575R; Garmin eTrex Vista HCx; Android 5.0.1 Phone

neocat

Postby neocat » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:09 am

Crippled indeed. Here's the reply I got from Garmin :

For your nuvi 2465,GPS,SG/MY, it is Singapore and Malaysia version. So we are sorry it is not allowed to update unit software including adding German TTS voices through WebUpdater which is only for Non Asian models to update.

So for best bang of buck, especially when you need non-local languages then by all means get non-asian models. Buyers beware.

CyberMew

Postby CyberMew » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:59 pm

Shows up for me fine using webupdater or through the my.garmin mydashboard site. Those angmoh voices all have. However those chinese voices don't have!

carlover

Postby carlover » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:26 am

Anyone has TTS voice which can speak the malay streets in Singapore correctly?

I have no issue with my previous Holux as they are using local DJ to pronounce it correctly.
Currently Using : Garmin NUVI 3560LM with Live Traffic FM Receiver

gooseman80

Re: Garmin Custom Voices

Postby gooseman80 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:04 am

dvpro wrote:
edchuang wrote:Any sweet lady voice available? :mrgreen:

Got one sexy girl's voice, she always say "Oooo.... keep going..."

DVPRO,
How do I get the Sexy Girl's voice?
Thanks

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”