How to "SEARCH" using Garmin Mobile XT

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
attahun

How to "SEARCH" using Garmin Mobile XT

Postby attahun » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:06 pm

hi guys,
can anybody explain how does garmin mobile xt "search engine" works?

1. I search under [ where to> points of interest> near > near other> spell city> sunway ] -- the list comes up with a lot of sunways except the one of sunway pyramid. the correct method should have been to search for "bandar sunway"

2. there were other incidents where i search for a road but "none found". does it make any difference between ss2 and ss 2?

3. in terms of map, i notice there are road&polygon options bla bla, does that affect the seaching efficiency?

thanks for anyone who can help to clarify this..

just for info, am using garmin mobile xt ver5.00.40 with E71 and map 091005.
http://attahun.blogspot.com - income tax calculator BE2009

drsec
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

Re: How to "SEARCH" using Garmin Mobile XT

Postby drsec » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:51 pm

attahun wrote:hi guys,

1. I search under [ where to> points of interest> near > near other> spell city> sunway ] -- the list comes up with a lot of sunways except the one of sunway pyramid. the correct method should have been to search for "bandar sunway"

2. there were other incidents where i search for a road but "none found". does it make any difference between ss2 and ss 2?

3. in terms of map, i notice there are road&polygon options bla bla, does that affect the seaching efficiency?

The best answer is self help. I was able to find sunway pyramid on my GMXT.

My suggestion is please include more details like:

1. Software - GMXT
2. Device - ????
3. Map version - ?????

It would help us a lot so that we can help you.

attahun

Postby attahun » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:52 pm

drsec wrote:

1. Software - GMXT
2. Device - ????
3. Map version - ?????

refer my earlier post - "am using garmin mobile xt ver5.00.40 with E71 and map 091005"

by the way, sunway is easy coz i am familiar with the place.. what i meant was how to search for let's say "ajil" or "jerangau" or "kuala ibai" (just examples) when searching shows "none found" but they're actually in the maps.

drsec
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

Postby drsec » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:06 pm

attahun wrote:
drsec wrote:

1. Software - GMXT
2. Device - ????
3. Map version - ?????

refer my earlier post - "am using garmin mobile xt ver5.00.40 with E71 and map 091005"

by the way, sunway is easy coz i am familiar with the place.. what i meant was how to search for let's say "ajil" or "jerangau" or "kuala ibai" (just examples) when searching shows "none found" but they're actually in the maps.

My bad. My apologies.

If it is an attraction or a point of interest, use POIs.
If it is an address use address.

If it is an area, I use the map or I use go to, city search

So to answer your question, is ajil, jerangau or kuala ibai POIs, or addresses or areas.

If I'm looking for Sunway Pyramid (the shopping center), I will use Where To, Points Of Interest, Shopping, and then spell Pyramid because I know Sunway will give me a lot more results.

I found Ajil Hulu Terengganu by using address search all cities.

Jarangau dapat Balai Polis Jegrangau thru POI search
Ibai ade Jalan Ibai Jaya thru address search

attahun

Postby attahun » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:08 pm

no problem.

actually i wanted to know how the search works. is it alphabetical order, is it manually marked when doing the map, or how does it work?

let me re-phrase my problem, i want to search for jalan pjs 8/17 in sunway. when i close up the search to near "sunway", the sunway i want to find is not shown. Only ones shown are sunway alam suria, sunway batu caves bla bla. Only when i search for "bandar sunway" does the place show up which is the sunway area near to sunway pyramid.

then when i search for jalan pjs8/17, none found. but if go to search by address > malaysia > all cities > pjs 8/17, i can find it. Problem is why is it when i search under points of interest, none found.

i get the feeling this has something to do with the map compilation but i was hoping for somebody to be kind enough to explain in brief.

thanx for ur effort though. the above is based on same gps setup but with map 091019

attahun

Postby attahun » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:09 pm

ok i made some progress in understanding this..

firstly it seems new maps no longer supports search for "jalan" and such under POI search, it should be under Address search.

Secondly, search for PJS8/17 is different to PJS 8/17, also same case with SS25/32 and SS 25/32, so have to be careful when searching these addresses..need to understand how the details may be stored inside the maps.

it seems searching for "ss 25/32" shall still direct me to "jalan ss 25/32"..thats ok at least.

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”