Combined MFM and MSM Q&A

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
dvpro

Re: Why after combined MFM and MSM my GPS location out

Postby dvpro » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:41 pm

alyem wrote:You another map file under gmapsupp 1.

What map is this??

Never mind about the one named GMAPSUPP1.IMG, it won't be read by Nuvi anyway, but I'd guess it's MSM Borneo.

BTW, Bro Gannyban, you may use GMapTool to correctly identify each and every IMG map file in Nuvi. You can download GMapTool from here: http://anpo.republika.pl/download.html
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:43 pm

sentry wrote:Noticed that the basemap (gmapbmap.img) is ~ 90M in file size, isn't that abnormal?

Not if it's a Digital Elevation Data (DEM) Basemap.

alyem
Regional Mapper

Postby alyem » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:47 pm

sentry wrote:Noticed that the basemap (gmapbmap.img) is ~ 90M in file size, isn't that abnormal?

That's normal..

Mine also more than 90MB. :mrgreen:
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

gannyban

Postby gannyban » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:49 pm

I also heard about GMapTool but as a GPS beginner, it is hard for me to understand the usage unless there is a step by step instruction(include screen shot) shown/given...;)

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:58 pm

gannyban wrote:I also heard about GMapTool but as a GPS beginner, it is hard for me to understand the usage unless there is a step by step instruction(include screen shot) shown/given...;)

As for identifying the contents of IMG map file, add IMG map file into GMapTool, and the (general) title will be displayed at the Mapset column. If you need more info, click "Info" button...

... and IMG contents will displayed within the logs.

gannyban

Postby gannyban » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:03 pm

I saw there is artical wrote by using GMapTool we can combine maps. So can I use this to combine the MFM and MSM maps??

In case I want to switch back to MSM then I just cut the MFM's .img files out and copy MSM's files in my GPS device, right??

Anyone has experience after converted the GPS from US to SG/MY and the junction view can be view normally? I loaded the MSM's map in and the JV did pop out but there is no picture shown. Any idea what have I did wrong?

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:07 pm

gannyban wrote:I saw there is artical wrote by using GMapTool we can combine maps. So can I use this to combine the MFM and MSM maps?? Yes, but the join method is not straightforward, as some of the Map IDs of both mapsets are using same value.

In case I want to switch back to MSM then I just cut the MFM's .img files out and copy MSM's files in my GPS device, right?? Advisable to use the unjoined GMAPSUPP.IMG instead.

Anyone has experience after converted the GPS from US to SG/MY and the junction view can be view normally? I loaded the MSM's map in but he JV did pop out but there is no picture shown. Any idea what have I did wrong? Which Nuvi model did you flash to Sing/Mal firmware?

gannyban

Postby gannyban » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:12 pm

My Garmin is Nuvi 205W as posted earlier. I followed the steps recommended by http://nuvi255wfirmware.blogspot.com/20 ... w-set.html

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:15 pm

gannyban wrote:My Garmin is Nuvi 205W as posted earlier. I followed the steps recommended by http://nuvi255wfirmware.blogspot.com/20 ... w-set.html

If Nuvi 205W, got to flash to Nuvi2W firmware first, at least that's how I did to a couple of Nuvi205Ws and both are able to display JCV. The flashing steps are Nuvi205W -> Nuvi2W -> Nuvi255W. BTW, it's already been discussed here in the forum, please search for the topic.

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:21 pm

gannyban wrote:By refer to the attached screen shot. Can you please advise me which files are belong to MFM and MSM so that I can cut the correct files out from my GPS device?
As you hesitate to use GmapTool, here is a simple exercise for you to try.

Based on the file sizes, here is my guess of what your maps are.

The Gmapprom1.img paired with the unlock code Gmapprom1.unl are most probably the MSM Garmin compiled NT 2009.3+ or 2009.4. This map is usually installed as Gmapprom1 and not known to have a conflict with MFM maps as their IDs are different. In any case, it is probably several months out of date so your best bet is to move both files to your PC and see if the problem still exists.

Your Gmapsupp.img is probably the MFM map combined with the MFM-SRTM topo map. If it is not the latest v1.70, you can update it.

MFM map and MSM map (e.g. any of the MSM-MySinG v3.0+ versions) are incompatible and cannot reside simultaneously in your GPS even if one is in the main memory and the other is in the SD card and even if one of them is unchecked in Map Info. You have to choose only one. Since both maps have more or less the same coverage, there is absolutely no advantage to have both available simultaneously in your GPS as your GPS cannot display both at the same time and gives the map in the main memory preference. When there is a conflict as there is for these 2 maps, the display will be affected.

The basemap Gmapbmap.img as supplied with the older Nuvi 2x0 units are less than 10MB but those supplied with the Nuvi 2x5 units are more than 90MB as they incorporate coloured contour polygons.

As Bro Alyem asked, I have no clue what your Gmapsupp1.img is so you should also move it to your PC for as long as you have Gmapsupp.img in your GPS, Gmapsupp1.img will not be displayed.
Lean not on your own understanding

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”