Garmin Mobile XT Software Versions

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
fauzee
Polygon Mapper

Re: Garmin Mobile Unit Software

Postby fauzee » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:33 am

zest wrote:
winwintoto1234 wrote:
wetwetwater wrote:Actually, I have a question here. I am using GMXT on a Nokia E90. When I 1st installed the software in my phone, GMXT will use my gprs connection to connect me to the satellite to locate my current location. This way, I got logged on to the satellite much faster.

This is what we call A-GPS.
You can re-activate it by going to: Tools/ Settings/ General/ Positioning/ Positioning Methods and tick Assisted GPS

No doubt it locks signal much more faster but at the same time, you will be charged RM0.10 each time it uses gprs. If I'm not mistaken, the charges is RM0.10/10kb (one block). Even though each connection may only consume few bytes, you'll still be charged RM0.10.

If you use it in city with plenty of junctions etc, it will cost you about RM1.00 for about 3km.

I can't tell the exact amount as I think it will connect to gprs whenever it makes announcement...

actually no,it will only activate the gprs whenever the gps signal lost,and most of the time even if it lost if the device could reacquire signal fast enough,it won't use the gprs. about the cost i not sure with other network,if not mistaken digi charges 10kb per bloke,which is 10sen,but maxis charges at 1kb per bloke,which is 1sen,each gprs activation by gps for coordination will be around 4.7kb,which is about 5sen for maxis,but 10sen for digi. i uses gmxt on my 5800 with the a-gps, and i tested in one journey from KL to fraser hill,to kelantan,it only activate the gprs for 4 times,that makes my whole journey with a-gps cost of just under 20sen

Yes..i agreed...tested on N85..the AGPS only working in short time to helping GPS antenna to get better accuracy (depend on how hard it can get it)..so it mean..AGPS not 'ON' everytimes..just when ur internal antenna get poor accuracy and AGPS do that JOB..so if u don't wanna be charge with big amount of uses AGPS..make sure your phone always in open sky or on dashboard or windscreen (in Car)...Go 'Menu' > 'Tools' > 'Log' > 'Packet Data' > 'Data Counter' > 'Clear Counters' > 12345(Default Password) for Nokia...then open mobile XT..after get better accuracy..u can check how much /kb.. :thumbsup:
~Lost Is Nothing~
...PLEASE INSTALL THE LATEST MAPS BEFORE DOIN' SOMETHIN'...

vash_h

Re: Garmin Mobile XT Software Versions

Postby vash_h » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:44 am

for those who use agps and garmin often.. i would recommend subscribing to the data packages..

previously when i was with maxis, they have a RM10/month for 5mb or something like that..

now i am with celcom with unlimited data package.. so i'm not sure about the 5mb data package..
<-My Blog: HaroldChia.com->
<-MFM MAPS + Garmin Nuvi 50LM + Papago Z1 + Garmin Nuvi 205w + Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 ->

mfm88

Postby mfm88 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:32 am

Before one decides to activate AGPS,one should understand how AGPS works and knows when to turn off to avoid bill shock

Scenarios to note are
- overseas where free data is not available :$gone: :$gone: :$gone:
- if you are caught in a jam in tunnel or congested high rise buildings
- trekking in jungles/caves ??
- leaving GPS function on at background after switch to phone
etc
心远地自偏,心静自然凉

khairul_hpc

Postby khairul_hpc » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:08 am

mfm88 wrote:Before one decides to activate AGPS,one should understand how AGPS works and knows when to turn off to avoid bill shock

Scenarios to note are
etc

I am using N5800 XM. What I do to control my phone data usage is by set my phone to ask my permission every time it tries to connect to the A-GPS server. By doing this I can choose not to connect to the server whenever I feel it is not necessary to or I have more than enough time to wait for the phone to fix the satelite manually. Last week, I drove from Malacca to KL, the phone prompted me 2 times, 1st just after start-up, 2nd time after 1+ hour down the road. I rejected the 2nd time as I didn't loose the signal.

vyncent

Postby vyncent » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:13 pm

khairul_hpc wrote:
mfm88 wrote:Before one decides to activate AGPS,one should understand how AGPS works and knows when to turn off to avoid bill shock

Scenarios to note are
etc

I am using N5800 XM. What I do to control my phone data usage is by set my phone to ask my permission every time it tries to connect to the A-GPS server. By doing this I can choose not to connect to the server whenever I feel it is not necessary to or I have more than enough time to wait for the phone to fix the satelite manually. Last week, I drove from Malacca to KL, the phone prompted me 2 times, 1st just after start-up, 2nd time after 1+ hour down the road. I rejected the 2nd time as I didn't loose the signal.

The only way is disable A-GPS, no option to make it asks for permission.
Menu > Apps > Location > Positioning > Positioning methods > untick Assisted GPS

khairul_hpc

Postby khairul_hpc » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:53 pm

[/quote]

Menu > Apps > Location > Positioning > Positioning methods > untick Assisted GPS[/quote]

I'm not sure how you can untick a-gps and could still enjoy using the gps. If I untick a-gps as above, the gps application will be totally not usable.

What did I do to make it ask for permission is:
In "positioning method" I tick a-gps, int. gps & network based
In positioning server > positioning server use : choose "Always ask".
And it really asked for permission especially during start-up of any gps application incl. GMXT.But once I rejected, it will not ask permission again and will not attempt to connect to the server again untill I restart the phone.

vyncent

Postby vyncent » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:37 am

khairul_hpc wrote:
Menu > Apps > Location > Positioning > Positioning methods > untick Assisted GPS

I'm not sure how you can untick a-gps and could still enjoy using the gps. If I untick a-gps as above, the gps application will be totally not usable.

Firmware 31.0.008 and 30.0.011 may experience *ages* satellite fix without help of A-GPS. If you using firmware 31.0.101, satellite fix will be a lot faster (usually < 5 min) without A-GPS. :peace:

gpsnerd
Contributor

Postby gpsnerd » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:16 am

vyncent wrote:
khairul_hpc wrote:

Firmware 31.0.008 and 30.0.011 may experience *ages* satellite fix without help of A-GPS. If you using firmware 31.0.101, satellite fix will be a lot faster (usually < 5 min) without A-GPS. :peace:

using firmware 31.0.101, no issues, quite the same with other versions. i think weather dependent
User of 205 / 205W
Currently using 255W and 205W, 4592 LM

capt1986

Postby capt1986 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:15 am

hi ther..
i had instaled garmin XT in my E71 bt wen i open d applction,it wnt respond..n it close d aplication itself wifout log in to d garmin menu..any idea?

:tq:

uncle wong
Regional Mapper
Location: Kuala Lumpur - Selangor - Johor I did not have a GPS device

Postby uncle wong » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:16 am

capt1986 wrote:hi ther..
i had instaled garmin XT in my E71 bt wen i open d applction,it wnt respond..n it close d aplication itself wifout log in to d garmin menu..any idea?

:tq:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4532
Enjoy the GPS’s life!

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”