Converting Nuvi 2x5W Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
WknThDg
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:45 am

Re: Converting Nuvi 255W US Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby WknThDg » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:35 am

ktan2 wrote:download the patch firmware
http://rapidshare.com/files/247405974/F ... y.rar.html

-Switch on nuvi.
-Press & hold battery icon until dignostics mode
-plug miniUSB into nuvi, connect with pc
-download file above unzip
-run updater.exe
-tick usb option
-click OK.
-Click OK
-Wait and Done.
-Enjoy JCV.


Rapidshare says:
"This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached." :cry:

Please, please [-o< re-upload with a new download link and PM me back to get this.

I currently have a HWID 0827 nuvi 255W set with SW v5.00. I live in USA, so do you know if both JCV and Lane Assistant will work with City Navigator North America 2010.1?
Also, does this patch to SG/MAL sw v2.60 have American English (TTS) voices or will my Voice directory stay with the same files?
I will backup all of my current Garmin directory first anyway.
:tq: ktan2

chaicka
Polygon Mapper
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:54 pm

Re: Converting Nuvi 255W US Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby chaicka » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:54 am

WknThDg wrote:
ktan2 wrote:download the patch firmware
http://rapidshare.com/files/247405974/F ... y.rar.html

-Switch on nuvi.
-Press & hold battery icon until dignostics mode
-plug miniUSB into nuvi, connect with pc
-download file above unzip
-run updater.exe
-tick usb option
-click OK.
-Click OK
-Wait and Done.
-Enjoy JCV.


Rapidshare says:
"This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached." :cry:

Please, please [-o< re-upload with a new download link and PM me back to get this.

I currently have a HWID 0827 nuvi 255W set with SW v5.00. I live in USA, so do you know if both JCV and Lane Assistant will work with City Navigator North America 2010.1?
Also, does this patch to SG/MAL sw v2.60 have American English (TTS) voices or will my Voice directory stay with the same files?
I will backup all of my current Garmin directory first anyway.
:tq: ktan2


This patch is just so that US/TW sets can use Singapore/Malaysia map and it's associated JCV which is encrypted to work only with SG/MY s/w. If your s/w is already v5.0, it means it's already an US set and since you live in US, there is nothing worthy to change it to SG/MY s/w as you are not going to use Singapore/Malaysia map.

ktan2
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:38 pm

Re: Converting Nuvi 255W US Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby ktan2 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:24 am

WknThDg wrote:I currently have a HWID 0827 nuvi 255W set with SW v5.00. I live in USA, so do you know if both JCV and Lane Assistant will work with City Navigator North America 2010.1?
Also, does this patch to SG/MAL sw v2.60 have American English (TTS) voices or will my Voice directory stay with the same files?
I will backup all of my current Garmin directory first anyway.
:tq: ktan2


Hello, WknThDg,
how're you doing? :)
Is ur Nuvi 255W set with SW v5.00 is US set, GPS ID 0827. No JCV or Lane assistant support. but with ecoRoute ?
Patch to SG/MAL sw v2.60, JCV not work with CIty Navigator north America 2010.1.
but U will get Lane asisstant, and also get Waypoint Icon showing while navigating in, which suppose make the map be cluttered, u May not like it.
This Lane assistant look similar as 7x5 unit, of course a little bit different.
see sample picture 255w Sg/Mal Lane assist look like below--
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
drsec
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:35 pm
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

Re: Converting Nuvi 255W US Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby drsec » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:35 pm

My Unit is a 255W
Software Ver 5.0
Unit ID is 3466482546

Does that mean I cant do this?

ktan2
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:38 pm

Re: Converting Nuvi 255W US Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby ktan2 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:50 pm

drsec wrote:My Unit is a 255W
Software Ver 5.0
Unit ID is 3466482546

Does that mean I cant do this?


Hello drsec,
Your 255W, I can confirm it's US set.
255W taiwan set, Latest firmware version 3.0 {GPS ID 932
255W US set, Latest firmware version 5.10 {GPS ID 827
255W Sing/Mal set, Latest firmware version 2.60 {GPS ID 930

No matter either you have Taiwan or US or EU set, you can do this !
Procedure, you do read above post.
If you have taiwan set, you should rename 082701000260.RGN to 093201000260.RGN

User avatar
drsec
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:35 pm
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

Re: Converting Nuvi 255W US Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby drsec » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:53 pm

ktan2 wrote:
drsec wrote:My Unit is a 255W
Software Ver 5.0
Unit ID is 3466482546

Does that mean I cant do this?


Hello drsec,
Your 255W, I can confirm it's US set.
255W taiwan set, Latest firmware version 3.0 {GPS ID 932
255W US set, Latest firmware version 5.10 {GPS ID 827
255W Sing/Mal set, Latest firmware version 2.60 {GPS ID 930

No matter either you have Taiwan or US or EU set, you can do this !
Procedure, you do read above post.
If you have taiwan set, you should rename 082701000260.RGN to 093201000260.RGN


Thanks very much. Will give it a try now.

User avatar
drsec
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:35 pm
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

Re: Converting Nuvi 255W US Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby drsec » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:09 pm

Have just done the firmware update. Will check.

How do I restore personal favorites?

Where is it normally stored?

ktan2
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:38 pm

Re: Converting Nuvi 255W US Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby ktan2 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:40 pm

drsec wrote:Have just done the firmware update. Will check.

How do I restore personal favorites?

Where is it normally stored?


hello drsec,
Good day for you.
Personal Favorites normally stored at current.gpx file.
just copy the /garmin/gpx/current.gpx file
from your backup
into your /garmin/gpx/ folder.

User avatar
drsec
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:35 pm
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

Re: Converting Nuvi 255W US Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby drsec » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:48 pm

ktan2 wrote:
drsec wrote:Have just done the firmware update. Will check.

How do I restore personal favorites?

Where is it normally stored?


hello drsec,
Good day for you.
Personal Favorites normally stored at current.gpx file.
just copy the /garmin/gpx/current.gpx file
from your backup
into your /garmin/gpx/ folder.


No point. My 3 months old 255W is dead. It worked only once after the flash. I shut it down and then I restarted it cos I forgot to do some selection. It now refuses to boot up or connect to a PC. Looks like I'll go Papago tonite and throw this into the dustbin and I am going outstation tomorrow.

User avatar
dvpro
Moderator
Posts: 2170
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:09 am
Location: KUL, MY (Handheld, PDA Based)

Re: Converting Nuvi 255W US Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby dvpro » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:06 pm

drsec wrote:No point. My 3 months old 255W is dead. It worked only once after the flash. I shut it down and then I restarted it cos I forgot to do some selection. It now refuses to boot up or connect to a PC. Looks like I'll go Papago tonite and throw this into the dustbin and I am going outstation tomorrow.

Sorry to hear of your predicament doc. So, you had actually successfully reflashed to local firmware and even managed to start the device after the process? Any idea what went wrong?
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.


Return to “GPS Software & Apps”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests