Converting Nuvi 2x5W Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
bmbk

Re: Converting Nuvi 2x5W Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby bmbk » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:01 pm

i purchased a garmin from US, but having too much trouble to flash the firmware.

1. My board is S4, the first problem i face is the my computer dont detect my garmin 255w. tried few computers, still the same. Installed the usb driver from website, still same. no difference.

2. How to check hardware Id ? can i use the same file available 0827xxxxxxUS.rgn for the flashing my device ?

3. The updater detect my garmin in diag mode, however when i press ok at the update, the update process showing erros and doest not continue.

My unit ID stars as 380xxxxxxxx

What is i am doing wrong ?

bmbk

Postby bmbk » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi,

I just found-out that my HWID is 1091, and after all the reading in this website, i found the firmware convertion is not applicable to this HWID.

Too bad, bought the device without proper studying the firmware flashing requirement. Otherwise would have bought different models.

Anyway, not sure when the firmware update will be available, there is no way to use JV beside the firmware update ?

Regards

dlyao

Re: Converting Nuvi 255W US Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby dlyao » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:37 pm

BuRR06 wrote:Managed to flash my S4 255w. Instructions worked like a charm. Just remember to use the correct 'patched' rgn for the newer S4 255w.

THANKS!

Thanks.
What is the correct "Patched" rgn file? Can post a link? Have tried the one which is 082701000270S4US.rgn, but failed to flash it. Got this error: any suggestion? thanks.

App: Updater
At: 9/29/2010 1:14:11 AM (UTC)
Processor: Pentium Pro or Pentium II, RAM: 2097151 KB
IOU_UTILITIES.CPP-203-2.8

dlyao

Re: Converting Nuvi 255W US Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby dlyao » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:58 pm

Everything goes fine but the No. 9 in Step 4. can anyone give some instruction? thanks.

PeterK wrote:maikai, you can do STEP 1 (Preparation), then go to STEP 4 but do not use the file available for download at step 4.
Instead use the patch (Where is it? Thanks!) for the S4 white screen at the end of the tutorial. Like this:

IMPORTANT:

- This is for 255w/265w S4 Board units only
(To check your board version, press the battery icon at the upper right of the unit for about 8 seconds,
you'll be in the diagnostic mode. The board version is next to the unit model at the top of the screen)
- make sure battery is at least 75% charged
- Backup all your files before flashing
- Please use a quality USB cable
- Do it at your own risk

It is also a good idea to hard reset your unit before and after flashing. You can do this
by turning the unit off, press and hold the lower-right corner of your screen and turn on
the unit. Hold and wait until a popup message appear asking whether you want to
delete user data. Answer Yes and the unit will reboot. NOTE: Your saved POI will be
deleted. If you want to keep your POIs, backup the Garmin/GPX folder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STEP 1: Preparation

1. Remove your Memory Card (if any) from your Garmin Unit.

2. If you have security lock enabled, disable it.

3. Connect your Garmin Unit to the computer using the USB Cable.

4. Delete GUPDATE.GCD from the Garmin folder (if it is there)

5. Delete the VOICE and the TEXT folder inside the Garmin Folder.
(If you do not delete the files, problems will occur after the firmware update
rendering your device useless).
REMEMBER NOT TO COPY BACK THE BACKED UP VOICE / TEXT.

NOTE: This is because the voice files that comes with the US/EU units are not
compatible with Asian firmwares. The same is true with voice files that come with
Asian units - they're not compatible with US/EU firmwares. Even if your unit is from
Asia (such as Taiwan), please do not skip this step.

6. After deleting the voice and text folders, disconnect the Garmin Unit from the computer.

7. If you've not done so, Hard reset the unit

8. Then Switch OFF the Garmin Unit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STEP 4: Flash the Garmin Unit to SG/MY Firmware

1. Download the rar files.
http://rapidshare.com/files/287879386/082701000270S4US.rgn.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/285264803/SingMal_Voices___Texts.rar

Mirror:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?n05xjjk5yxy
http://www.mediafire.com/?lkezrzdrrnt

Download the updater.exe
http://www.mediafire.com/?mnzzj4ynhzn

2. Unrar the rar files.

3. Drag the file 082701000270S4US.rgn and drop to Updater.exe

4. Under Connection Setting, Select USB Device.

5. Slide and HOLD the Power Button of the Nuvi, then quickly plug in the USB cable to
connect to the computer. (Continue to hold the power button).

6. The updater.exe will detect the USB Device with your model software and Unit ID.
(Continue to hold the power button) (everything goes fine until here: The GPS screen blank (seems powered off), holding the power button for around 10 minutes, nothing happened, I unplug the usb cable, swith the GPS on, press the battery icon for 8 seconds, then plug the usb cable in to the GPS, then can see model software and Unit ID.)

7. Click "Ok" on the updater to process the flashing.

8. Release the Power Button AFTER you see "LOADER" appear on the Garmin Unit.

9. Let it flash the firmware (Do Not Disconnect your Garmin unit from your computer) till it is completed.

update complete with an error:
App: Updater
At: 9/29/2010 1:14:11 AM (UTC)
Processor: Pentium Pro or Pentium II, RAM: 2097151 KB
IOU_UTILITIES.CPP-203-2.8

then can not go further... stop here, thinking of the .rgn file is not correct, but don't know where can I have it.

10. Once the update completes, let the Garmin unit boots until the nuvi drive appears
on the PC. Then disconnect the cable from the PC.

11. Let the unit starts, and when it asks for the country, choose SINGAPORE or MALAYSIA.

NOTE: This is important because each country you choose gives you a different feature
set. For Asia, choose Singapore or Malaysia for the best features.

12. Verify that you have a SG/MY firmware installed by going to the "About" screen. The
version should be v2.70.

13. Copy the TEXT and VOICE files from the downloaded rar file to the garmin folder of your unit.

14. Hard reset your unit again.

15. Go to Diagnostic mode (pressing and hold the battery icon) to check that the ROM passes the test.

16. You've successfully flash your unit to SG/MY firmware.

Note: Modified from Earthkeeper's walk through

The HWID is still 827, so you cannot use webupdater to update any of the files. If you update firmware
using webupdater, your unit will change back to US system software, and you'll have problem booting up
because the voice files in the unit are not compatible with US system software. Do not use webupdater
to update the voice files too.

For 205W S4, you'll have to wait just like what chaicka says.

dlyao

Postby dlyao » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:33 am

BuRR06 wrote:Yes any firmware version is fine. But please make sure that your HWID is not 1091...if not the current flashing method will brick the newer HWID 1091 batch.

Plus pls check the version of your board also...read the instructions carefully.

Dear BuRR
my GarminDevice.xml in my recent bought Nuvi255W from USA is like this:

Code: Select all

<Model><PartNumber>006-B1091-00</PartNumber><SoftwareVersion>610</SoftwareVersion><Description>nüvi 255W</Description></Model><Id>3740400333</Id><RegistrationCode>S4UIL66</RegistrationCode>

Does it mean no way to use the sg/my firmware?

Thanks.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:06 am

dlyao wrote:
BuRR06 wrote:Yes any firmware version is fine. But please make sure that your HWID is not 1091...if not the current flashing method will brick the newer HWID 1091 batch.

Plus pls check the version of your board also...read the instructions carefully.

Dear BuRR
my GarminDevice.xml in my recent bought Nuvi255W from USA is like this:

Code: Select all

<Model><PartNumber>006-B1091-00</PartNumber><SoftwareVersion>610</SoftwareVersion><Description>nüvi 255W</Description></Model><Id>3740400333</Id><RegistrationCode>S4UIL66</RegistrationCode>

Does it mean no way to use the sg/my firmware?

Thanks.

This is not a factory authorized procedure. It is done at your risk.

Certain board hardware are not compatible with this procedure.

Why the different board version ? Only Garmin knows :-'

clow8

Postby clow8 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:59 am

I am waiting and waiting, still not able to update my device to latest software version :cry:

I have flashed my 255W US set with s4 board to local firmware (2.7). Now I am not able to upgrade my firmware to latest version. According to some experts here, I need special rgn to update my GPS sortware to 2.8 and further.
I am not sure what is the new update/feature on every software update, but now I am stuck at 2.7. I can enjoy the LA and JCV, but can't get new feature .e.g. audio from latest software version.

so, for 255W with S4 owner, please think properly before you want to flash your GPS to local set. Only Garmin map have JCV and LA feature, MFM map is not. Since we are not local set, not all Garmin map update free to use on our device. We can only use the map which has developed by MSM and the last release was during April 2010(NT2010.20 (2010-04)). :thumbsdown:

Personally, my GPS map is default to MFM map which is most updated (by weekly). :peace:
I am thinking to revert back my firmware to US version and enjoy all the latest software update thru webupdater :D

Boxster

Postby Boxster » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:08 pm

Hi clow8

I bought a 255w (US) 2-3wks ago S4 hwid 1091
After playing for 3 wks seem a bit bored want to try flashing to have a feel of junction view and especially lane assist

During a trip to KL I think did not follow the instructions and direction indicators close enough ended in "wrong way" twice.
I think I did not understand the keep left symbol earlier on.

I have been reading this topic 2-3 times and very tempted to make an attempt

Since junction view is only available in MSM NT maps is there a way to disable the junction view features when not required?
Did you used the firmware "as it is" on page 1 then upgrade from 2.3 to 2.6 and 2.7?

Did you try the sg/my 3.1 update from sg garmin site?

I think u can flash back to the US firmware but I think most important is the voice and text files
I did saw the HWID 1091 Version 6 FW in another forum

One more think I noticed is that my unit could not do 1sec tracking even thought it allows to to start recording but there are only 2 bin files instead of 3 which I think most of them had.
Have fun playing \:D/

clow8

Postby clow8 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:37 am

I have tried 2.8, 3.0, 3.1, all also same, my firmware still stay at 2.7.
JCV and LA is come with MSM NT map only, once you switch to MFM map, then you won't see any JVC and LA.

bmbk

Postby bmbk » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:40 pm

Boxster,

Have you tried to flash your S4 1091 Garmin ?, as i understand this HWID cannot be flash at this moment ?

managed to get it done ?

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”