Converting Nuvi 2x5W Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
dvpro

Re: Converting Nuvi 255W US Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby dvpro » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:58 pm

keagan wrote:anyone can be kind enough to email me a copy or provide a link of ktan's patch? my garmin has been bricked accidentally due to the adding of voice files...sigh...just wasted rm 40 a shop R'Reef sdn bhd at lowyat...they not only didn't manage to identify the issue, just checked blankedly for 3 days and the garmin came back with some scratches..and my unit is just 3 days old! ..i bricked it on the next morning itself :cry: ..so any kind soul can help me out pls...

Check your PM. :)
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

keagan

Postby keagan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:11 pm

Thanks dvpro for providing the link..unfortunately i couldn't revive my unit...still went into the endless loop...i've already flashed it yet still same problem persists...sigh...i guess the only way around it is to send back to garmin..i'm just wondering..what other methods can i work around this...

is there any methods that would allow me to boot into just the garmin drive itself on the pc...

what i did was actually i had a proper copy of a reflashed taiwan unit that contains the 2.60 version...the thing is i hated the voices that were preloaded and i wanted the original voice that came with most garmins for the american english..i did rename the file that i wanted to copy in to another name eg: original american english...the original voice file that came with the new firmware was still intact..and the next thing i knew was the system refused to boot up after the maps loading page...
Last edited by keagan on Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:16 pm

keagan wrote:Thanks dvpro for providing the link..unfortunately i couldn't revive my unit...still went into the endless loop...i've already flashed it yet still same problem persists...sigh...i guess the only way around it is to send back to garmin..i'm just wondering..what other methods can i work around this...

is there any methods that would allow me to boot into just the garmin drive itself on the pc...

For reflashing firmware, please check that your SD card is REMOVED. Else you may end up loading firmware upgrade in SD card and not in main memory. This will result in endless loop !!! Remove SD card and start procedure again.

keagan

Postby keagan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:18 pm

silverbeauty wrote:
keagan wrote:Thanks dvpro for providing the link..unfortunately i couldn't revive my unit...still went into the endless loop...i've already flashed it yet still same problem persists...sigh...i guess the only way around it is to send back to garmin..i'm just wondering..what other methods can i work around this...

For reflashing firmware, please check that your SD card is REMOVED. Else you may end up loading firmware upgrade in SD card and not in main memory. This will result in endless loop !!! Remove SD card and start procedure again.

SD card is indeed not in the slot of my lappie nor the garmin unit...already checked

keagan

Postby keagan » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:33 am

After searching endlessly for days and also wasting rm 40 for nothing on a shop that can't even provide decent advise or service...i truly thank the contributors to the thread here...especially bro dvpro for even offering to meetup to help me try unbrick my unit for the cost of nothing...

kindly readup http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topi ... hichpage=8

if the fix by bro ktan2 doesn't work..

cheers :)

joe169999
Location: Tropicana Indah (Holux 62E, Nuvi 265WT & Garmin XT s60 on E90)

Postby joe169999 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:28 pm

keagan wrote:After searching endlessly for days and also wasting rm 40 for nothing on a shop that can't even provide decent advise or service...i truly thank the contributors to the thread here...especially bro dvpro for even offering to meetup to help me try unbrick my unit for the cost of nothing...

kindly readup http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topi ... hichpage=8

if the fix by bro ktan2 doesn't work..

cheers :)

Did you manage to un-brick yours ?

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:31 pm

joe169999 wrote:Did you manage to un-brick yours ?

On behalf of Bro Keagan, glad to inform that he managed to unbrick his Nuvi (himself) using a cure RGN from gpspassion.com. :thumbsup:
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

joe169999
Location: Tropicana Indah (Holux 62E, Nuvi 265WT & Garmin XT s60 on E90)

Postby joe169999 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:08 pm

dvpro wrote:
joe169999 wrote:Did you manage to un-brick yours ?

On behalf of Bro Keagan, glad to inform that he managed to unbrick his Nuvi (himself) using a cure RGN from gpspassion.com. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. =D>

keagan

Postby keagan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:09 pm

thanks dvbro...yeah i got it working again...in fact i just got a response from garmin taiwan through email for setting up a repair and that's going to take another few days to hear from them again...i told them i managed to get it working again after browsing through forums for solutions and suggested that they sped up on their correspondence with their customers...they are really really slow.. ](*,)

treesmaker

Postby treesmaker » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:46 pm

joe169999 wrote:Latest nuvi255W SG v2.70 can be download from here if your are interested: http://download.garmin.com/sg/download/ ... G_v270.exe

Make sure you remove these three voice files before installing: i) English_American_Jack.vpm, ii) English_Australian_Karen.vpm, & iii) English_British_Daniel.vpm .

Good luck. :)
:rox:

I have already converted my USA Garmin 265W to a Local set by flashing firmware 2.60. I have installed JV successfully. If I want to upgrade my firmware from v2.60 to v2.70 do I still need to delete Text and Voice folder in my Garmin?

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”