Converting Nuvi 2x5W Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Converting Nuvi 2x5W Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby silverbeauty » Mon May 02, 2011 8:02 am

lcc2302 wrote:So means msm and Mfm is different?
So means in my gps I should choose either Mfm or msm in map?

Just like Toyota and Nissan are both cars, but different companies, so is MFM and MSM are different organizations

MFM map at this moment of time do not support JCV :-'

hubert_golf

Postby hubert_golf » Sat May 07, 2011 4:22 pm

Whwn I opten The diagnostic mode I can only see: SW 2.70 nüvi 255W S V6 2GB

There is no indication whether my mainboard is version S2,S3 or S4.

To avoid bigger problems when converting, please can anybody tell me what mainboard version is S ?

many many thanks

lokoko

Postby lokoko » Mon May 30, 2011 2:55 pm

dvpro wrote:You're welcome.

I had actually used TurboCCC's RGN_Tool to generate the patched RGN and anyone can do the same with the tool. I've also managed to generate a patched RGN for Nuvi 755 which was earlier bricked with white screen. I believe as long as the Boot.bin of the original firmware is retained, it is safe to flash with this kind of RGN.

Here's some discussion on RGN_Tool (you can find the link to TurboCCC's RGN_Tool there): http://malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?p=128770#p128770

clow8 wrote:Probably, you can post your RGN link here to benefit everyone who having problem to upgrade their S4 board device to latest software.

This is the patched RGN (US HWID 0827 v6.60 + Sg/My v3.10): http://www.sendspace.com/file/1ej48o

Note: For S4 Board Nuvi255W/265W with HWID0827 only. For other HWID S4 board Nuvi255W, you can try use RGN_Tool to generate patched RGN. PM me for more info.

Hello friends. I kindly request your aid with my device.

I have nuvi 265W from North America with mainboard listed in debug screen as "SW ________ Ver 7.20 nuvi 265W W P2 V2 2GB"
When I run G7ToWin, it reports "ID: 827", and GarminDevice.xml reports: "006-B0827-00"

Can I flash the above firmware from dvpro safely?

Thank you :)

lokoko

Postby lokoko » Tue May 31, 2011 8:54 am

with the help of DVPRO I have flashed my North American 265WT from 7.20 to Malaysian 3.10!

I followed the S4 method in the first post and used DVPRO's firmware file from above, with the exception that holding the power key did to get the updater.exe to recognize the drive did not work. Instead, after doing a hard reset, I had to press and hold the battery button for 15 seconds after the unit booted up. From there I connected the USB cable and updater.exe recognized the device and I flashed it.

Thank you so much DVPRO, I really appreciate your help, and thank you to all who made this possible.

:peace:

lokoko

Postby lokoko » Tue May 31, 2011 9:48 am

Are there more updated versions of the Voices from the first page?
I am having trouble with these TTS voices; it is not pronouncing English street names properly unlike the original American and British TTS voices.

EDIT after more use:

I have tested all English TTS voices:
American English-Jack (TTS)
American English-Samantha (TTS)
Australian English-Karen (TTS)
Australian English-Lee (TTS)
British English- Daniel (TTS)
British English- Serena (TTS)

I can say that the mispronunciation is so bad that most street names are unrecognisable.

lokoko

Postby lokoko » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:58 am

Here is my summary of the experience in converting my north american nuvi 265wt to Malaysian firmware.

Quick summary:
If you want to use your nuvi 265w, 255w 205w in North America, DO NOT flash to MAL/SG firmware. Instead flash to North American 465t firmware.

Long summary:
My exact model is:
"SW ________ Ver 7.20 nuvi 265W W P2 V2 2GB" (from the debug screen)
GarminDevice.xml reports: "006-B0827-00"

I flashed directly from north american 7.20 SW directly to dvpro's modified MAL/SG firmware 3.10.

Comparison
PRO:
-Lane view
-Junction view (I didn't actually see it but I believe it's there)
-Option for calibrating touch screen
-Compass on map

CON:
-Bad audio - The mal/sg firmware seems to make all sounds - even just the screen tap sound - sound very bad. It sounds like it will blow the speaker.
-Broken TTS (the English TTS voices - all of them - pronounce north american street names so badly that it must be disabled as it is completely useless).
-Broken TMC traffic - before flashing I had 2 subscriptions, lifetime Navteq Premium and Lifetime Clearchannel. After flashing it said I had none. I re-entered the codes and it accepted them but still said I had no subscriptions. Traffic events would only be received when the unit first booted up, then would stop.
-Debug screen glitches - when you enter debug screen the language of the unit would reset to Africaans.
-General -seemed buggy - for example, it took nearly 1 minute before recalculating when I missed a 90 degree left turn one time.
-No EcoRoute (but this feature is sort of useless anyway)

After having so much trouble with the Mal/SG firmware I decided Lane Assist and Junction view were not worth losing TTS and TMC and I decided to go back to original firmware. However, I then discovered that you can flash the nuvi 465t firmware, and it proved to be excellent.

nuvi 465t firmware compared to original nuvi 265wt:

PRO:
-Lane Assist
-Multiple Routes (15)
-Truck Profile/options
-General - better configuration of software - for example, simply tap the gps signal to bring up the details, instead of press and hold.

CON:
-No EcoRoute (but this feature is sort of useless anyway)
-One extra warning screen when you turn on GPS.

Everything else works perfectly on 465t firmware: TTS, TMC, bluetooth. If you are planning to use your nuvi in North America, I must say, unless you are DYING to have junction view, then do not flash Malaysian firmware on 2x5w series, instead use firmware from North American 465t.

To get modified 465t firmware go here and look for link from acleite, either version 3.10 or 3.20, then you can do official update to 3.60.
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/pop_ ... _ID=135007

I went from US 7.20 -> MAL/SG -3.10 -> US (465t) 3.10 -> 3.20 -> 3.40 -> 3.60.

I hope this helps someone. :)

Thank you to all.

lokoko

Postby lokoko » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:21 am

Update: received information that TTS works better in MY/SG 3.00 firmware, so maybe stick to 3.00 MY firmware if you want junction view:

ktan wrote:By the way, I found the same problem a few months ago. But, the TTS is okay with SW 3.00 for MY/SIN 2x5W. Therefore, I did not upgrade to SW 3.10. :-)

phat phreddy

Postby phat phreddy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:26 am

Is there any FW thats suitable for enabling Thai JCV and lane assist with a 250w nuvi ???

CHLee7

Postby CHLee7 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:16 pm

I am newbie just brought a Nuvi255W from US. I would like to flash it to Mal/Sin firmware to use in Malaysia. Where could i find the forum on doing that?

gabelee72

Postby gabelee72 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:54 pm

hubert_golf wrote:Whwn I opten The diagnostic mode I can only see: SW 2.70 nüvi 255W S V6 2GB

There is no indication whether my mainboard is version S2,S3 or S4.

To avoid bigger problems when converting, please can anybody tell me what mainboard version is S ?

many many thanks

I have the same GPS info, can anyone help me out here?

Is there any way I can identify my HWID? Or is there any way I can find out whether I can convert it? It says SW 2.70 nüvi 255W S V6 too

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”