Converting Nuvi 2x5W Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
drsec
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

Re: Converting Nuvi 255W US Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby drsec » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:09 am

Brothers,

Now that I have taken the plunge to over-write my Garmin 255W US 5.0 firmware with the MySg 2.6, I am able to conclude that from my point of view junction view is LESS useful than it has been made out to be because of the following reasons:

1. The picture is too small to be seen clearly from the driver location when the device is placed at the usual location at the center of the front screen.
2. The picture is a little too dark and fuzzy.
3. In the cases I have seen, the picture is not reflective of the real life view you are seeing in front of you. It will take you sometime to decipher the picture before it makes full sense of it thus distracting you from your driving.
3. It appears for too short a time.
4. For the moment there are too few junction with junction view.

I must warn everyone of the following:

1. Doing this will void your warranty.
2. I have not found a way to revert back to the US 5.0
3. Junction view is NOT available in MFM for Garmin
4. Junction view is available for Garmin in MSM, so you will have to download and use MSM, if you want JCV
5. MySg 2.6 firmware has only very limited voice and the ones in English is with TTS. There is none in English without TTS.
6. I am not sure if the MySg 2.6 JCV will work with JCV in other maps e.g. US, Europe and Australia etc.
7. You will lose the Ecoroute feature of US 5.0.
8. MySg 2.6 only provides JCV but not Lane Assist.

So decide very carefully before proceeding.

Cheers
DrSEc
Last edited by drsec on Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:22 am

drsec wrote:...
5. MySg 2.6 firmware has only very limited voice and the ones in English is with TTS. There is none in English without TTS.

Actually Nuvi255W local version can use English_American_.vpm. Although the latest firmware does not come with English_American_.vpm, the original unit comes with that non-TTS voice.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

drsec
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

Postby drsec » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:25 am

dvpro wrote:
drsec wrote:...

Actually Nuvi255W local version can use English_American_.vpm. Although the latest firmware does not come with English_American_.vpm, the original unit comes with that non-TTS voice.

Correct but in order to flash it with the new firmware, it requires one to remove all the voice files.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:31 am

drsec wrote:Correct but in order to flash it with the new firmware, it requires one to remove all the voice files.

Not true, the updater requires removal of some TTS voice files only.

WknThDg

Postby WknThDg » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:40 pm

drsec wrote:Brothers,

Now that I have taken the plunge to over-write my Garmin 255W US 5.0 firmware with the MySg 2.6, I am able to conclude that from my point of view junction view is LESS useful than it has been made out to be because of the following reasons:

1. The picture is too small to be seen clearly from the driver location when the device is placed at the usual location at the center of the front screen.
3. In the cases I have seen, the picture is not reflective of the real life view you are seeing in front of you. It will take you sometime to decipher the picture before it makes full sense of it thus distracting your from your driving.

4. Junction view is available for Garmin in MSM, so you will have to download and use MSM, if you want JCV
6. I am not sure if the MySg 2.6 JCV will work with JCV in other maps e.g. US, Europe and Australia etc.

Cheers
DrSEc

"2. I have not found a way to revert back to the US 5.0"
I was using neadrenalin's fw_nuvi2x5w_id0827_en_v500+tracklog_sd firmware before I flashed with the 082701000260.rgn file ktan2 posted.
I was able to flash from the 082701000260.rgn file ktan2 posted, back to neadrenalin's fw_nuvi2x5w_id0827_en_v500+tracklog_sd by renaming the rgn file from 082701000500en_sd.rgn to 093001000500.rgn.
Do so at your own risk, but it worked for me.

"4. Junction view is available for Garmin in MSM, so you will have to download and use MSM, if you want JCV"
For me, Junction View worked with Malsingmaps Malaysia-Singapore-Brunei NT 2009.5 and Junction View + Lane Assist with City Navigator Singapore-Malaysia NT v4.02.

"5. MySg 2.6 firmware has only very limited voice and the ones in English is with TTS. There is none in English without TTS."
English_American_.vpm (non-TTS) works OK.
The only voice file that gave me problems after flashing with Sing/Mal version was if I put English_British_.vpm (non-TTS) back into the Voice folder. If that was there, my Nuvi 255W would keep rebooting.

"6. I am not sure if the MySg 2.6 JCV will work with JCV in other maps e.g. US, Europe and Australia etc."
I could not get JCV to work with City Navigator North America NT 2010.1 (but Lane Assist did, and that was my main reason to do the Sing/Mal flash).

"8. MySg 2.6 only provides JCV but not Lane Assist."
The Sing/Mal 2.6 flash provided me with Lane Assist on both City Navigator Singapore-Malaysia NT v4.02 and City Navigator North America NT 2010.1.
Last edited by WknThDg on Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

shump

Postby shump » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:57 pm

drsec wrote:Brothers,

3. In the cases I have seen, the picture is not reflective of the real life view you are seeing in front of you. It will take you sometime to decipher the picture before it makes full sense of it thus distracting your from your driving.

Cheers
DrSEc

Is that true that we will lose the EcoRoute feature when we switch to MySg firmware..? Did MySg firmware didnt support that feature? I buy my 255w nuvi 3 days ago..nasib baik i didnt switch to MySg firmware otherwise it will void my warranty... [-o<
Garmin Nuvi 255w(US) - Back On Track Again

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:17 pm

WknThDg wrote:English_American_.vpm (non-TTS) works OK.
The only voice file that gave me problems after flashing with Sing/Mal version was if I put English_British_.vpm (non-TTS) back into the Voice folder. If that was there, my Nuvi 255W would keep rebooting.

Even the Nuvi255W local unit does not come with English_British_.vpm.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:19 pm

shump wrote:Is that true that we will lose the EcoRoute feature when we switch to MySg firmware..? Did MySg firmware didnt support that feature? I buy my 255w nuvi 3 days ago..nasib baik i didnt switch to MySg firmware otherwise it will void my warranty... [-o<

Nuvi255W local unit does not come with Ecoroute, only Nuvi765 local unit does.

shump

Postby shump » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:33 pm

dvpro wrote:
shump wrote:Is that true that we will lose the EcoRoute feature when we switch to MySg firmware..? Did MySg firmware didnt support that feature? I buy my 255w nuvi 3 days ago..nasib baik i didnt switch to MySg firmware otherwise it will void my warranty... [-o<

Nuvi255W local unit does not come with Ecoroute, only Nuvi765 local unit does.

so if local unit update version also dont have Ecoroute ?
Garmin Nuvi 255w(US) - Back On Track Again

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:35 pm

shump wrote:so if local unit update version also dont have Ecoroute ?

Yes, even latest 2.60 firmware does not come with Ecoroute.

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”