Converting Nuvi 2x5W Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
shump

Re: Converting Nuvi 255W US Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby shump » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:47 pm

dvpro wrote:
shump wrote:so if local unit update version also dont have Ecoroute ?

Yes, even latest 2.60 firmware does not come with Ecoroute.

ok thanks. now i understand..thats way there many version..US version,Taiwan version,MySg version...
Garmin Nuvi 255w(US) - Back On Track Again

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:01 pm

dvpro wrote:Nuvi255W local unit does not come with Ecoroute, only Nuvi765 local unit does.

Before anyone's asking, contrary to local Nuvi255W specs stated at Garmin Singapore site, only Nuvi765 Sing/Mal supports the Ecoroute feature.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

drsec
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

Postby drsec » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:33 pm

Managed to reflash my 255W to US 5.0 and then used webupdater to upgrade to 5.1. But unable to get back Ecoroute.

So I'm putting back MFM tomorrow morning.

drsec
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

Postby drsec » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:24 am

Tried another installation of 5.1 and got Ecoroute back.

Installed MFM 1.65. I like MFM better.

The device is back to what it was before with upgrade to 5.1. Voices works fine. I got my English lady speaking to me. The map is clearer.

I'm now a happy camper.

P.S.

Just a point to highlight when I was using MSM yesterday.

I was in Penang Island and wanted to go to Sungai Dua for lunch before heading home and I wanted to take the ferry across to the mainland and then the BORR (Butterworth Outer Ring Road) to Sungai Dua. MSM kept suggesting a route across the Penang Bridge, despite my setting Georgetown Ferry and Butterworth Ferry Terminals as intermediate way points. I checked my setting, it is on faster (and later shorter route) and ferry avoidance is off. I guess MSM does not recognize the Penang Ferry.

This morning, with MFM, I simulated the route with the same parameters (2 additional waypoints) and MFM suggested a route which includes the ferry.

I lost my way twice on the island using MSM.

AW*
Valued Contributor

Postby AW* » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:32 pm

dvpro wrote:Before anyone's asking, contrary to local Nuvi255W specs stated at Garmin Singapore site, only Nuvi765 Sing/Mal supports the Ecoroute feature.

this is true. i spoke to an aeco sales staff - he confirmed that the localised set nuvi 255W doesn't have ecoroute. however he did mention that one can download the ecoroute from garmin website and install it at one's own risk but it won't void (according to the sales staff) the warranty of the unit. whether it works or not is another matter.

has anyone try it - downloading ecoroute into a localised unit?
" The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Ghandi
" In matters of conscience, the law of majority has no place." - Mahatma Ghandi

255W,1460, 2465 & 2465LM

redwin

Postby redwin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:37 pm

Sifu out there...

i already start pening lalat after read all the reply...ok..can i confirm my understanding ere..

Now i having US unit which i bought last month from US bestbuy, Garmin unit 255W.
SW Version: 5.00
GPS ID: where to find?

This unit does NOT have:
1. Lane Assist
2. Junction View

This unit have:
1. Ecoroute.

ok..let say, if i flash this unit to MalSing 2.6..i'll get Juntion view except ecoroute..right?

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:39 pm

redwin wrote:...
ok..let say, if i flash this unit to MalSing 2.6..i'll get Juntion view except ecoroute..right?

Correct. To identify HWID, open ..\Garmin\GarminDevice.xml with Notepad. Find the first set of <PartNumber>XXX-YYYYY-ZZ</PartNumber>, where YYYY is the HWID, ie. if it states <PartNumber>006-B0754-00</PartNumber>, then the HWID is 0754.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

Bend3r

Postby Bend3r » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:08 am

Hi all,

I've read thru the entire thread and i didn't find the answer whether the GN760 can install the MY/SG firmware to enable it to use the JCV feature.

I bought my GN760 from UK. Please enlighten me on how this can be done.

thanks in advanced

drsec

Postby drsec » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:11 am

redwin wrote:Sifu out there...

i already start pening lalat after read all the reply...ok..can i confirm my understanding ere..

Now i having US unit which i bought last month from US bestbuy, Garmin unit 255W.
SW Version: 5.00
GPS ID: where to find?

This unit does NOT have:
1. Lane Assist
2. Junction View

This unit have:
1. Ecoroute.

Since none of the enlightened ones responded, I have to fill in.

The answer is Yes

drsec

Postby drsec » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:12 am

Bend3r wrote:Hi all,

I've read thru the entire thread and i didn't find the answer whether the GN760 can install the MY/SG firmware to enable it to use the JCV feature.

I bought my GN760 from UK. Please enlighten me on how this can be done.

thanks in advanced

Sorry, I can't help you. I have no experience with 760s.

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”