Converting Nuvi 2x5W Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
drsec
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

Re: Converting Nuvi 255W US Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby drsec » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:33 am

evilhomura89 wrote:I'm wondering, should I take the risk and flash US set to MY/SG firmware?
Any suggestion?

I know I'll gain lane assist, junction view..but what will I lose other than ecoRoute?

You will gain LA and JCV with other maps not with MFM.

This is my earlier post:

Now that I have taken the plunge to over-write my Garmin 255W US 5.0 firmware with the MySg 2.6, I am able to conclude that from my point of view junction view is LESS useful than it has been made out to be because of the following reasons:

1. The picture is too small to be seen clearly from the driver location when the device is placed at the usual location at the center of the front screen.
2. The picture is a little too dark and fuzzy.
3. In the cases I have seen, the picture is not reflective of the real life view you are seeing in front of you. It will take you sometime to decipher the picture before it makes full sense of it thus distracting you from your driving.
3. It appears for too short a time.
4. For the moment there are too few junction with junction view.

I must warn everyone of the following:

1. Doing this will void your warranty.
2. I have not found a way to revert back to the US 5.0
3. Junction view is NOT available in MFM for Garmin
4. Junction view is available for Garmin in MSM, so you will have to download and use MSM, if you want JCV
5. MySg 2.6 firmware has only very limited voice and the ones in English is with TTS. There is none in English without TTS.
6. I am not sure if the MySg 2.6 JCV will work with JCV in other maps e.g. US, Europe and Australia etc.
7. You will lose the Ecoroute feature of US 5.0.
8. MySg 2.6 only provides JCV but not Lane Assist.

So decide very carefully before proceeding.

Cheers
DrSec

evilhomura89

Postby evilhomura89 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:43 am

drsec wrote:
evilhomura89 wrote:I'm wondering, should I take the risk and flash US set to MY/SG firmware?
Any suggestion?

I know I'll gain lane assist, junction view..but what will I lose other than ecoRoute?

This is my earlier post:

Now that I have taken the plunge to over-write my Garmin 255W US 5.0 firmware with the MySg 2.6, I am able to conclude that from my point of view junction view is LESS useful than it has been made out to be because of the following reasons:

1. The picture is too small to be seen clearly from the driver location when the device is placed at the usual location at the center of the front screen.
3. In the cases I have seen, the picture is not reflective of the real life view you are seeing in front of you. It will take you sometime to decipher the picture before it makes full sense of it thus distracting you from your driving.

4. Junction view is available for Garmin in MSM, so you will have to download and use MSM, if you want JCV
5. MySg 2.6 firmware has only very limited voice and the ones in English is with TTS. There is none in English without TTS.
6. I am not sure if the MySg 2.6 JCV will work with JCV in other maps e.g. US, Europe and Australia etc.

Cheers
DrSec

I guess I'll make do without JV and LA since it doesn't make much of a difference.
Thanks again for your suggestion.

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:42 am

drsec wrote:
Any suggestion?

This is my earlier post:

Cheers
DrSec

If I recall, Lane Assist is still pilot/infant stage if using MSM NT 2009.30 map. Any previous MSM NT map version, lane assist not available. Not sure which version of City Navigator NT map starts to have lane assist. Probably 4.03 or 4.04 onwards.

As for the JCV appears too short period, I have different experience. It seems to be dependent on the junction. I have experienced some that appears for quite long (>10 seconds). Probably the speed of travel (when I am at unfamiliar junction/road/expressway) affects the duration of JCV appearance.

PeterK

Postby PeterK » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:53 pm

drsec wrote:I must warn everyone of the following:

@drsec

2. Reverting to US 5.0 is easy. You just need the correct RGN file.
5. There's a US voice included in Earthkeeper's download. But I agree that the British and Australian voices
are not available.
6. MySg 2.7 JCV works with all asian JCV, but not the US/EU JCV (which uses full screen).
7. For 255w, if you revert back to US firmware, you get the ecoroute back.
8. MySg 2.7 supports LA on maps that have it.

drsec
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

Postby drsec » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:09 pm

PeterK wrote:

@drsec

5. There's a US voice included in Earthkeeper's download. But I agree that the British and Australian voices
are not available.
6. MySg 2.7 JCV works with all asian JCV, but not the US/EU JCV (which uses full screen).

I know. I just cut and pasted my earlier postings. I'll update them sometime.

But the perils of bricking your unit is still there. this is especially so for those who are new and those having the newer devices.

I do suggest to those who are new to enjoy their newly acquired devices first. Get used to them and get their head around the device, maps, their usage and limitations before attempting to muck with the firmware.

evilhomura89

Postby evilhomura89 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:16 pm

I guess I'll follow drsec's advice by enjoying the device 1st...who knows LA and JV is not that significant afterall \:D/

kasahwt

Postby kasahwt » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:15 pm

evilhomura89 wrote:I guess I'll follow drsec's advice by enjoying the device 1st...who knows LA and JV is not that significant afterall \:D/

Actually I agree with drsec. Enjoy your set first. I actually converted my set as well. Initally, the JV was fun to look at. But after awhile, I realised that it is difficult to see clearly. Some of the JV uses stock pictures so it does not look like the actual junction at all. The actual view was always blocked by the cars ahead so the looking at the map view gave me a better idea of the direction instead of the picture.

So weigh the risk involved. If you still decide to go ahead read thru PeterK instructions carefully and check your board version.

Good luck

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:25 pm

PeterK wrote:

@drsec

are not available.

Hmmm... I think I have British and Australian voices. Let me confirm this. I think I compiled my own list from various versions of SG/MY firmwares and take the latest version of each voice and text files. So far so good, no issue encountered.

PeterK

Postby PeterK » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:58 pm

chaicka wrote:Hmmm... I think I have British and Australian voices. Let me confirm this. I think I compiled my own list from various versions of SG/MY firmwares and take the latest version of each voice and text files. So far so good, no issue encountered.

Care to share the Non-TTS English voices for the MySg units?

drsec

Postby drsec » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:44 pm

chaicka wrote:......

Hmmm... I think I have British and Australian voices. Let me confirm this. I think I compiled my own list from various versions of SG/MY firmwares and take the latest version of each voice and text files. So far so good, no issue encountered.

Are you sure you are using British & Australian voices on your Sg/My unit? Please verify.

From what we know and from what I experienced, British English TTS voice is not compatible with SG/MY firmware and will brick the unit.

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”