Garmin Mapsource 6.15.4

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
edchuang (retired)
Regional Mapper (retired)
Posts: 752
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:37 am
Location: Shah Alam (GMXT+i-Blue747 Logger, Holux GPSmile62 Pro)

Re: Notebook & POI

Postby edchuang (retired) » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:15 pm

ic-klass wrote:
tympg wrote:
alex_tham wrote:I'm very new to this gps thingy. :-? Managed to installed mapsource & nroute and also maps from here, :tq: :good: btw. bluetooth connection to my Holux M1000 and able to navigate. Just wondering those customise "Food, traffic, etc" POI file, how to i use them in my notebook? download and copy to which directory??? Appreciate sifu to enlighten me.
TIA.

Alex, Pandan Indah

Mark your waypoints in MapSource and then save as a GDB file.


save it straight into the set or specific folder in pc?? :ko:

If you want to load customized POIs into your unit: Copy the customized POI file(*.gpi) into your unit under folder Garmin/POI/.
If you want to transfer saved POI from your unit to view in mapsource: In mapsource, use "Transfer from Device" function, select your device and select waypoint then transfer. You will see your list of POI under the waypoint tab. :)

User avatar
silverbeauty
Moderator
Posts: 3518
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Garmin Mapsource

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:19 pm

LLCC wrote:Need help from you chaps. I have Mapsource 6.13.7 installed from CD and running well since August (I thought), but I now realised it's actually not running so well when I got the unlock codes for MSM G V2.30. Haha.

Each time I try to unlock the map or hit Ctrl+U, I get a message "Unable to start the UnlockWizard. Please reinstall this program and try again."

I can generate the gmapsup via the MSM installer and copy it directly for use in the gpsr, but I can't load the detail map onto Mapsource due to this UnlockWizard problem.

I have used the Mapsource CD to reinstall it after uninstalling; didn't work.
Reinstalled from CD after I've removed all Garmin products using regedit; no help too.
Finally, I've reinstalled after I've removed "Mapsource" and "Garmin Trip and Waypoint Manager v5" using CCleaner. Yet, I'm unable to get the UnlockWizard to work.

Have I missed a step? I'm a Macuser here (still confused with the c/ and D/ drive naming and terminologies), and trying to get this to work on a Pentium III

Thanks.

LL


Bro LL, try the following :

You need to Uninstall Unlockwizard.
Click "Start" -> "Run" ->
Type “regedit” (no quotes) in the text box to open registry
Click OK

This opens up the procedure to edit the registry
Please be ULTRA careful else your PC ends up being a brick

Now to start search for Garmin and delete every key (backup your registry first), after which, install Mapsource again...

You should get a similar thing to Windows Explorer. Click the “-” boxes near the lines to collapse the branches then:

Click on the + near HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Click on the + near SOFTWARE
Click on the + near GARMIN

RIGHT click (once) on UnlockWizard itself (not the +)
Select “delete” from the menu and delete it and the keys as it says.

Then similarly navigate back to where it says HKEY_CURRENT_USER (collapse the trees by clicking the “-” near the lines) and do this:

Click on the + near HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Click on the + near SOFTWARE
Click on the + near GARMIN

RIGHT click (once) on UnlockWizard itself (not the +)
Select “delete” from the menu and delete it and the keys as it says.

This will delete the unlock wizard registry entries it was on about and either:

Exit the registry EDIT

Now you can reinstall malsingmap v2.30 and other Garmin products you may have

LLCC
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:55 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Garmin Mapsource

Postby LLCC » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:44 pm

silverbeauty wrote:Bro LL, try the following :

Uninstall Mapsource.
Open registry (with "regedit")
Search for Garmin and delete every key (backup your registry first)
After this, install Mapsource again...


Thanks for the prompt response. I've done that before posting up the question. Here's what I've done so far, from following various steps posted at MSM:

1) Run regedit, search for Garmin and delete everything that carries the Garmin name. Reinstall from CD. No success.
2) Repeat regedit step, then run CCleaner, and still I find something to do with Garmin, so I delete them too. Reinstall from CD. Still no success.
3) Borrow a laptop that never had Garmin used and I install from the Mapsource CD. Still unable to start the UnlockWizard.

Does this mean that I got a dud of a CD?

If this is the case, is there anywhere I can download Mapsource 6.13.7? I've downloaded 6.14, but am hesitant to install this after reading all the problems involved with this version, especially when I have an old and slow PC to run this app.

LL

ajay
Posts: 387
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:40 am
Location: Bdr Baru Bangi
Contact:

Re: Garmin Mapsource

Postby ajay » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:08 pm

you can go to
http://www.gpsinformation.org/perry/msource/

& find the version of yr choice :)
from Garmin Que for Pocket PC to Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile to Nuvi 205W to Papago M9 for Android & now Garmin Nuvi 2576.

LLCC
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:55 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Garmin Mapsource

Postby LLCC » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:33 pm

Many thanks to silverbeauty and ajay.

The MapSource unlock wizard works now. I could also confirm that my Mapsource CD had a dud installer for Unlock Wizard.

Therefore I had to delete the UnlockWizard sub key like silverbeauty described, then, download Mapsource_6137.exe from the link ajay provided above, and install that.

Now I can see the detail maps.

Thanks much for the guidance.

LL

ic-klass
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:05 pm

Re: Notebook & POI

Postby ic-klass » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:15 pm

if you want to load customized POIs into your unit: Copy the customized POI file(*.gpi) into your unit under folder Garmin/POI/.
If you want to transfer saved POI from your unit to view in mapsource: In mapsource, use "Transfer from Device" function, select your device and select waypoint then transfer. You will see your list of POI under the waypoint tab. :)


how to change *.gdp to *gpi??

edchuang (retired)
Regional Mapper (retired)
Posts: 752
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:37 am
Location: Shah Alam (GMXT+i-Blue747 Logger, Holux GPSmile62 Pro)

Re: Notebook & POI

Postby edchuang (retired) » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:56 pm

ic-klass wrote:
if you want to load customized POIs into your unit: Copy the customized POI file(*.gpi) into your unit under folder Garmin/POI/.
If you want to transfer saved POI from your unit to view in mapsource: In mapsource, use "Transfer from Device" function, select your device and select waypoint then transfer. You will see your list of POI under the waypoint tab. :)


how to change *.gdp to *gpi??

Huh? Do you mean .gdb? If yes, you can use gpsbabel to convert. Why you want to do that? :-k

LLCC
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:55 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Notebook & POI

Postby LLCC » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:28 pm

edchuang wrote:
ic-klass wrote:
if you want to load customized POIs into your unit: Copy the customized POI file(*.gpi) into your unit under folder Garmin/POI/.
If you want to transfer saved POI from your unit to view in mapsource: In mapsource, use "Transfer from Device" function, select your device and select waypoint then transfer. You will see your list of POI under the waypoint tab. :)


how to change *.gdp to *gpi??

Huh? Do you mean .gdb? If yes, you can use gpsbabel to convert. Why you want to do that? :-k


I was thinking about doing this too. My reason is as follows:
1) I have several waypoints that I deem as "permanent personal waypoints" eg Home, Mother in Law's place, office, etc. These are reference points to go to or start from to speed up planning a route for the wife.
2) However, each time I download new waypoints from the GPSr into MapSource, these "permanent personal waypoints" get downloaded as well, and it becomes a hassle to delete them one by one, especially when some of these are in different countries.
3) So I think to myself is there a simple way for a noob like me to incorporate these "permanent personal waypoints" into my map or the GPSr's POI, so that I need not get them mixed up with new waypoints I've marked and the hassle of searching and deleting them out in Mapsource at each download. Therefore it sounds like a good idea to me that my waypoints can be incorporated into the custom POI this way.

So will this work? Or am I even making any sense?

LL

edchuang (retired)
Regional Mapper (retired)
Posts: 752
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:37 am
Location: Shah Alam (GMXT+i-Blue747 Logger, Holux GPSmile62 Pro)

Re: Notebook & POI

Postby edchuang (retired) » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:37 pm

LLCC wrote:I was thinking about doing this too. My reason is as follows:
1) I have several waypoints that I deem as "permanent personal waypoints" eg Home, Mother in Law's place, office, etc. These are reference points to go to or start from to speed up planning a route for the wife.
2) However, each time I download new waypoints from the GPSr into MapSource, these "permanent personal waypoints" get downloaded as well, and it becomes a hassle to delete them one by one, especially when some of these are in different countries.
3) So I think to myself is there a simple way for a noob like me to incorporate these "permanent personal waypoints" into my map or the GPSr's POI, so that I need not get them mixed up with new waypoints I've marked and the hassle of searching and deleting them out in Mapsource at each download. Therefore it sounds like a good idea to me that my waypoints can be incorporated into the custom POI this way.

So will this work? Or am I even making any sense?

LL

If that is the case, I think it is better to save your "permanent personal waypoints" in your GPS unit favaurites folder. If you don't need it anymore in future, just delete it from your GPS unit favaurites folder.
e.g. for Nuvi, use Where to?-->Favourites-->select your saved "permanent personal waypoints". :D

Edit: Sorry, misunderstood earlier. In such case, use gpsbabel to convert the .gdb to .gpi :oops:
Last edited by edchuang (retired) on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
silverbeauty
Moderator
Posts: 3518
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Notebook & POI

Postby silverbeauty » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:03 pm

edchuang wrote: for Nuvi, use Where to?-->Favourites-->select your saved "permanent personal waypoints". :D


Believe this feature only available in the higher end Nuvis. My 610 does not have this capability.


Return to “GPS Software & Apps”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests