Printing/compiling large format Garmin maps

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
clay420

Printing/compiling large format Garmin maps

Postby clay420 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:02 am

Hi, Was wondering if there is any way to export or prepare maps installed in Mapsource for printing? Right now, i know we can print only the view we have on the screen.
Ultimately, what i'd like to do is compile one huge imagefile of an area, for example Langkawi island, to be printed on a large format printer, like 6' x 4' or something like that.

ss173b

Re: Printing/compiling large format Garmin maps

Postby ss173b » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:26 am

Easier for printing of you use other programs.....BUT, pls get the permission 1st.

Tks, Kelvin,

sabre23t

Postby sabre23t » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:58 am

I used GIMP and Mapsource window on a large screen, to combine multiple screenshots at 1km zoom and highest detail. Looks good printed out on an A3 colour laserjet. :mrgreen:

I don't see any issue doing the above for your personal use.

But if you're going to sell the large scale printed maps, attributing MFM and getting permission from antyong, I believe is necessary. In particular please refer to Point 7 of Antyong's announcement "About Malfreemaps".
4SQ, Waze, GMM, MSM, MFM & OSM ;-}

clay420

Postby clay420 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:19 am

Thanks for the feedback,guys.

Don't worry,the maps printed will purely be for personal use..
Although it's handy nowadays to have a notebook and mapsource around, Having a paper map does beat constantly scrolling and zooming in and out. Plus, paper NEVER runs out of batteries.

I noticed there are many,many programs out there that will download maps from google earth, yahoo maps, microsoft virtual earth, etc etc, and will automatically compile/stitch them all into 1 image file.

Though it would be really handy and cool to have a large printed map with Satelite images on one side with the corresponding malfreemaps on the flipside.

I guess for now our only choice will be to manually stich them together.
Thanks again!

ss173b

Postby ss173b » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:58 am

Maybe, one day, people in Malaysia who don't need to use gps can still have the chance to use MalFreeMaps, hard cover edition.

Cheers, kelvin.

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:36 pm

Maybe one of us should compile a PDF version of MFM for non-GPS users? :-k

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:55 pm

Good Idea...

May I ask at what zoom level and for what area? Major Cities and Towns only? I estimate a 900 pages map for Georgetown & its vicinity @50m zoom (10Km x 9Km sq area coverage). This is more than a handbook.... #-o ... cheers!
Common Sense Is Not Common.

clay420

Postby clay420 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:23 am

Wow, A complete East/west Malaysia MFM map in PDF? at an appropriate zoom level, i wouldn't be surprised if the file exceeds 500mbs... Hosting that would be a major headache,lorrr...
My initial intention to generate a harcopy of MFM/mapsource map of a limited area, for example a vacation location so it would be easy to pinpoint and plot makan places,tourist traps, etc in relation to your hotel or whatever. Figured it would be easier than constantly zooming in and out of mapsource (sorry, maybe if i had a bigger monitor, wouldn't be having this conversation :-({|= )

The 3rd party programs that download and stich google/yahoo/MS earth maps work really well, so i guess i'm still praying and hoping that there's a small,tiny, free obscure 3rd party program out there that will read maps off mapsource.

nyem
Valued Contributor

Postby nyem » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:15 am

clay420 wrote:Wow, A complete East/west Malaysia MFM map in PDF? at an appropriate zoom level, i wouldn't be surprised if the file exceeds 500mbs... Hosting that would be a major headache,lorrr...

I'm trying to render MFM tiles compatible with googlemap. For Peninsular Malaysia+Singapore (zoom level 6 to 17) it comes to 10GB :ko: Here's some snapshots:

Nice place labels in Klang Valley (Putrajaya is missing though)
mfm-terrain-kl.png

But Penang is a bit too crowded
mfm-terrain-penang.png

Nice polygons in Kota Kemuning :thumbsup:
mfm-terrain-kemuning.png

Here's the preview site: http://nyem.appspot.com/mfm.html. Can be used to compare MFM with googlemap.

MFM used to have a web-based version - http://www.malfreemaps.com/mfmonline. Can't seem to be accessible right now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://flavors.me/nyem

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”