GPS Software for New Toyota DVD-AVN

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
kennytan
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:08 pm

GPS for headunit

Postby kennytan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:57 am

Hi,
I'm using Pioneer AVH-X2650BT headunit (HU). Where can I find or buy the GPS software to be loaded in the HU?
Which GPS software is good for HU. By the way, I'm from Singapore.

gfwong
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:48 pm

GPS Software for New Toyota DVD-AVN

Postby gfwong » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:49 am

Just got my new Toyota on Monday. I noticed that the DVD-AVN is no longer made by Panasonic but it is from Pioneer. The GPS software doesn't seem to look like Garmin but when I checked the map info, it is from Malsingmap. I wanted to get Malfreemaps instead because MSM has very poor map for Penang.

The HU software is from iAuto (info.iauto.com) and it looks like it is still very new and bare. There is a microSD card (lock with screw) in the HU where I think the GPS software is installed. Toyota is giving the same HU with or without GPS with the difference of a microSD card.

Attached is a picture of how the DVD-AVN looks like (from Toyota website).

I hope the sifus here can guide me on how to determine the GPS software and how to update the map to MFM. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
silverbeauty
Moderator
Posts: 3518
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: GPS Software for New Toyota DVD-AVN

Postby silverbeauty » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:30 am

gfwong wrote:Just got my new Toyota on Monday. I noticed that the DVD-AVN is no longer made by Panasonic but it is from Pioneer. The GPS software doesn't seem to look like Garmin but when I checked the map info, it is from Malsingmap. I wanted to get Malfreemaps instead because MSM has very poor map for Penang.

The HU software is from iAuto (info.iauto.com) and it looks like it is still very new and bare. There is a microSD card (lock with screw) in the HU where I think the GPS software is installed. Toyota is giving the same HU with or without GPS with the difference of a microSD card.

Attached is a picture of how the DVD-AVN looks like (from Toyota website).

I hope the sifus here can guide me on how to determine the GPS software and how to update the map to MFM. Thanks.



My Camry came with Panasonic set with Garmin interface and the map is in SD card/garmin sub folder.

Pioneer commercial HD units usually comes with Papago thus theoretically you should be able to replace the map file with the one from our Papago download section.

Suggest you CLONE the SD card and then use the CLONE one to probe for the map file and replace it with the one from our Papago map download link. See if this works.

gfwong
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: GPS Software for New Toyota DVD-AVN

Postby gfwong » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:46 am

silverbeauty wrote:

My Camry came with Panasonic set with Garmin interface and the map is in SD card/garmin sub folder.

Pioneer commercial HD units usually comes with Papago thus theoretically you should be able to replace the map file with the one from our Papago download section.

Suggest you CLONE the SD card and then use the CLONE one to probe for the map file and replace it with the one from our Papago map download link. See if this works.


The new DVD-AVN from Toyota is no longer from Panasonic. It's from Pioneer the UI is entirely different from the commercial unit. It's different from the Panasonic HU in my Prius c. My Prius c HU is using Garmin as it can be clearly seen. But for this new Pioneer unit, there is no mention of Garmin and the map UI does not look like Papago also. Well, maybe I'll need to remove the SD card to look at the file structure.

gfwong
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: GPS Software for New Toyota DVD-AVN

Postby gfwong » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:48 am

I have checked and confirm that the GPS software is not Garmin and not Papago (as in all after market Pioneer HU). The map stored in the SD card has an .dat extension and not .img extension like Garmin. However, there are 2 maps. I am guessing one is the base map and the other is the region specific map.

One interesting thing is that the map info shown on the HU is MalsingMap. See attached pics. This means that the map is from Malsingmap. As far as I know, Malsingmap only compiled Garmin maps. So I am guessing Toyota is some how porting Garmin map into their system (with or without consent from Malsingmap).

Not sure if there any map converter where I can download Malfreemap and port it in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
silverbeauty
Moderator
Posts: 3518
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: GPS Software for New Toyota DVD-AVN

Postby silverbeauty » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:40 pm

gfwong wrote:I have checked and confirm that the GPS software is not Garmin and not Papago (as in all after market Pioneer HU). The map stored in the SD card has an .dat extension and not .img extension like Garmin. However, there are 2 maps. I am guessing one is the base map and the other is the region specific map.

One interesting thing is that the map info shown on the HU is MalsingMap. See attached pics. This means that the map is from Malsingmap. As far as I know, Malsingmap only compiled Garmin maps. So I am guessing Toyota is some how porting Garmin map into their system (with or without consent from Malsingmap).

Not sure if there any map converter where I can download Malfreemap and port it in.



Bro gfwong, this is MfM forum. Suggest you mirror your find in MsM forum and see what people there say about their map appearing in Pioneer ICE set :-'

audiocool
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: GPS Software for New Toyota DVD-AVN

Postby audiocool » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:56 am

I'm also wish to know how to update map in my toyota HU. anyone already know how to do this by using malfreemap.

audiocool
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: GPS Software for New Toyota DVD-AVN

Postby audiocool » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:42 am

Any update for above ?

gfwong
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: GPS Software for New Toyota DVD-AVN

Postby gfwong » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:37 am

After running ding dong ding dong around, I got no help. Asked around in Malsingmaps bcos the map data shown on the HU is malsingmap but some ppl on malsingmap replied that they only support Garmin. But clearly the navigation software on the new Toyota HU isn't Garmin.

One thing to clarify. The hu that I'm talking about is from 2015 onwards and it's from pioneer not the old Panasonic. I have the old Panasonic hu in my other Toyota and have not problem updating the map as the navi software is Garmin. Just that the new one is an unknown navi software.

I've contacted Toyota and they've been keeping mum on this. Went to their SC to ask for a map update as the current version on my HU is 2014 and was told that no update has been released from umw Toyota yet.

I'm really suspecting some how Toyota ported the malsingmap data to this navi. Legally or illegally, I'm not sure. I've highlighted this malsingmap on forum and Facebook but it seems nobody cares.

So, I'm stuck. No help from Toyota, malsingmaps, and here. If anybody has a solution pls share. I paid extra for the DVD-AVN and left with a useless GPS. Sigh...

rgchai
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:35 pm

Re: GPS Software for New Toyota DVD-AVN

Postby rgchai » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:29 am

Hi gfwong, any update so far? I'm having same dilemma on this GPS map update as well, can't find any update from iauto website so far. Just wonder if you just rename the map from from .img to .dat and copy the file into SD Card, see if the new map working or not... :D

I haven't try to take the SD card out yet, never know there is SD Card inside... :-k Btw, how you take out the SD card? Need to unscrew something? Just take out the SD Card without turn off the car/player?


Return to “GPS Software & Apps”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests