Status of Papago X8 for Android?

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
jchoong

Status of Papago X8 for Android?

Postby jchoong » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:58 am

Maction has posted earlier that as of end-Aug 2011, X5 will not be supported and that MFM will stop compiling for X5. They also indicated that X8 will supercede X5. I have searched high and low but not able to find X8, either as a new purchase or as a X5 upgrade. Anyone here can fill us in as to what is happening to Papago for Android?
Nuvi 2575; 40LM; Nexus 4

ymcheong
Contributor

Re: Status of Papago X8 for Android?

Postby ymcheong » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:28 pm

jchoong wrote:Maction has posted earlier that as of end-Aug 2011, X5 will not be supported and that MFM will stop compiling for X5. They also indicated that X8 will supercede X5. I have searched high and low but not able to find X8, either as a new purchase or as a X5 upgrade. Anyone here can fill us in as to what is happening to Papago for Android / iphone?

Anyone knows about it :-?
Last edited by ymcheong on Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
勿以善小而不为,勿以恶小而为之。- 刘备

rajabalak

Postby rajabalak » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:00 am

The announcement by Maction is very clear,
all X5 user can upgrade to X8 from their dealers,
the catch is if you are licensed to use it
(meaning if you're a legitimated user :$$: ) and
not got it FOC from somewhere :cry: :$gone: .
GARMIN Montana 650 & 680, Monterra, GPSMAP 64s. :peace:

jchoong

Postby jchoong » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:58 pm

My X5 for Android was purchased online from Maction; I don't see any X8 for Android on Maction's website!
Nuvi 2575; 40LM; Nexus 4

curiou5

Postby curiou5 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:24 pm

Very bad planning by Maction. They should have Papago x8 android software ready for release before issuing the letter to stop the x5 maps from being updated. Two weeks has passed and there are still no news on the android version. One can only guess that the delay might be due to unresolved bugs in the software. If Garmin has android version surely they will die standing in this region with this type of attitude of keeping their customers in the dark.

jchoong

Postby jchoong » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:49 pm

I agree; its a letdown by Maction. I wrote to them re upgrading my X5 to X8 and no response at all!
Nuvi 2575; 40LM; Nexus 4

jchoong

Postby jchoong » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:43 am

After several emails, I just received a reply from Maction to say that currently the X8.5 is not available for Android yet. Guess we are stuck with X5 and MFM maps that will soon be discontinued (which is still released on an "extended" basis).
Nuvi 2575; 40LM; Nexus 4

JayCee

Postby JayCee » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:09 pm

jchoong wrote:After several emails, I just received a reply from Maction to say that currently the X8.5 is not available for Android yet. Guess we are stuck with X5 and MFM maps that will soon be discontinued (which is still released on an "extended" basis).

jchoong wrote:After several emails, I just received a reply from Maction to say that currently the X8.5 is not available for Android yet. Guess we are stuck with X5 and MFM maps that will soon be discontinued (which is still released on an "extended" basis).

I am quite optimistic about the Android map support.
If Android X8 format map software is not ready by end Oct deadline, Maction may continue to extend the X5 format map for Android which will cause them nothing ($$) in my opinion.

M3GPS, is my assumption correct?

--JC

jchoong

Postby jchoong » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:47 pm

I received further clarification from Maction.

X8.5 will not be available for Android; instead M8 will be used for Android devices in Spore/Msia, and should be available by around Nov. As M8 has additional features compared to X5, there will be no free upgrade from X5 to M8. However a discount may be offered.
Nuvi 2575; 40LM; Nexus 4

JayCee

Postby JayCee » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:25 pm

jchoong wrote:I received further clarification from Maction.

X8.5 will not be available for Android; instead M8 will be used for Android devices in Spore/Msia, and should be available by around Nov. As M8 has additional features compared to X5, there will be no free upgrade from X5 to M8. However a discount may be offered.

I am an Android X5 customer for just over an year.
What is the rationale behind this group of users can't be upgraded to X8 just like other appliances.
Asking customers to pay for upgrade to M8 (with new features) is ridiculous.
Does Maction know if cusomers want the new features (above X5) or not?
Cannot Maction take away the new features from M8 for X5 customers upgrade?
If I have a choice, I want to stay with X5 to avoid upgrade hassles.

With the past X3 and current X8 upgrade experience, may I ask/know what is the life cycle policy of any Maction software product? This infornmation is deem required to determine the next Papago purchase.

Maction has successfully calming down a group of frastrated/angry mfm customers (on September 20) by extending the X5 format map life to ensure rest of X8 format map software is to be ready by end October. As such, I have high hope/expectation of Maction/M3GPS. If Maction/M3GPS now unilaterally imposing an upgrade fee (from x5 to M8) for Android PDA only, I am foreseeing this action will provoke the whole Android X5 PDA customer group again.
Come on, Maction, you don't want to kill the SG/MY Android Papago community.
--JC

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”