Garmin Languages / Voices

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
danny.chin66

Re: Garmin Custom Voices

Postby danny.chin66 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:11 pm

twinki wrote:Help I downloaded the borat vpm file and copied it to the voice folder on my Nuvi255.
My GPS would not start up after that.
What am I doing wrong?

In order for you to use the new voice in your Nuvi unit, you'll have to rename it from just borat.vpm to English_American.vpm. Before you do that, save the original English_American.vpm voice file to a safe place such as your PC. In case this trick of renaming the borat voice filename fails, you can just delete it off and re-copy back the original English_American.vpm that you have saved.

Try it out and see if this trick works. Happy trying :D

Kilzac20009

Can't Select Cantonese language

Postby Kilzac20009 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:05 am

Dear sir,
i'm new to gps. Please advise how to change the "audio voice" to cantonese. I've cantonese_.sum and cantonese__.vpm at my \Memory card\Garmin\Voice but it just can't show on the selection menu on audio. I'm using nokia n85 with mobile xt 5.00.50s60.9 . Is this the latest version. any bugs on this version? :)

thanks.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Can't Select Cantonese language as the audio voice

Postby silverbeauty » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:22 am

Kilzac20009 wrote:Dear sir,
i'm new to gps. Please advise how to change the "audio voice" to cantonese. I've cantonese_.sum and cantonese__.vpm at my \Memory card\Garmin\Voice but it just can't show on the selection menu on audio. I'm using nokia n85 with mobile xt 5.00.50s60.9 . Is this the latest version. any bugs on this version? :)

thanks.

Have does not equate to compatibility. You have to have the correct voice files in order to work with the correct hardware / software.

Is yours original GMXT in uSD card ?

Kilzac20009

Postby Kilzac20009 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:28 pm

Hi, Yes, it's my \Memory card\Garmin\Voice of my sd card . i try to select from garmin mobile xt but i can't fount it at "audio" .

jimmyong64
Valued Contributor

Postby jimmyong64 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:59 am

Kilzac20009 wrote:Hi, Yes, it's my \Memory card\Garmin\Voice of my sd card . i try to select from garmin mobile xt but i can't fount it at "audio" .

Hi,Bro Kilzac20009 u cannot use cantonese voice with the English version. U should install the Taiwan version if u want to have cantonese voice for your Nokia N85. With the Taiwan version U can also switch to English or Chinese.Try it. :thumbsup:

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:05 am

twinki wrote:Help I downloaded the borat vpm file and copied it to the voice folder on my Nuvi255.
My GPS would not start up after that.
What am I doing wrong?

Borat voice is based on English_British_.vpm which is not compatible in Sing/Mal units; it will result in a serious software issue in those units. You need to force-flash a cure RGN into your unit, and delete the offending VPM, to revert. If you have not yet resolved it yet, please PM me for more info.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:09 am

nezloais wrote:...
Now when im on the road , The information about the distance given by the voice prompt was completely inaccurate. For example when I have 250 m left for the turn , she will say "200 Kilometers Feet away".

I believe you are using a Sing/Mal Nuvi to test those VPMs. FYI, Sing/Mal's English_American_.vpm is different from English_American_.vpm from other non-localized Nuvis, hence the incompatibilty issue.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

twinki

Postby twinki » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:50 pm

dvpro wrote:Borat voice is based on English_British_.vpm which is not compatible in Sing/Mal units; it will result in a serious software issue in those units. You need to force-flash a cure RGN into your unit, and delete the offending VPM, to revert. If you have not yet resolved it yet, please PM me for more info.

Thanks for the explanation
Luckily my Nuvi worked again after i deleted the offending file and put back the old one.
Did not know abt incompatibilty issue and not going to play around again.. one almost heart attack is enough for me!!

Kilzac20009

Postby Kilzac20009 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:41 pm

Hi ,
I've tried but still can't have cantonese language as voice direction . On my nokia garmin mobile xt, i can't select the option chinese language or taiwan language. There's no such selection . Based on the picture screenshot. I just dont udnerstand.., why i have the cantonese___.vpm but i can't fount it to select on mobile xt.

Please advise.
[-o<

thanks ,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jans_wkh
Valued Contributor

Postby jans_wkh » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:23 pm

Maybe you can backup your voice files into another location. Renamed the cantonese voice files to american_english (meaning overwrite american english with cantonese voice files) and select american_english in your gmxt to see whether it works?

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”