Converting Nuvi 2x5W Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
s5p7

Re: Converting Nuvi 2x5W Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby s5p7 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi, can someone help? My Thai 2010.10 map is good, no problem! but jcv can't use, due to show a pirate locking on my 205w tw s4_r version (map was bought legal at local Thailand but jcv file found from web, then copied to the jcv folder) and it showed when I simulate route, it is said that S4 version may brick after flashing to SG/MY firmware, is there any solution? Please help if it can be and tks anyway.

ck_yoong

Postby ck_yoong » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:01 pm

Sinclone wrote:Hi all,

Firstly thanks for all the instructions here to convert. Its very detailed and I have successfully convert my NUvi 205w taiwan set to SgMy firmware 2.7. Loaded with 2009.05 MSM map to get junction view. However I have a few question that I am not sure, hope all the sifu here can enlighten me.

1. I did not get lane assistant after the convert. I am living in Singapore, is it suppose to have lane assistant in SG?
2. My SgMy firmware is 2.7 after convert, however when i see the forum some say there is a 2.8 version, which is better and how can I upgrade it
3. Can I use MFM map to get Junction View? In the forum some say cannot. I havent try it yet.

Please help. Thanks

1. Lane assist depends whether that road/place has lane assist coded in by mappers. If not coded in, it will not show.

2. There is a version 2.8 and 3.0, I upgraded to v3.00 no visible differences. You can upgrade it following the instructions on garmin website.

3. MFM does not support junction view only MSM has that feature. Also lane assist is NOT supported in MFM too.. However MFM papago maps have junction view.

plumber

Postby plumber » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:13 pm

Dear Sifus,
I attempted to flash my nuvi 205w (US version bought in 2008) to Sg/My version by following the tutorial. I managed to load the 082701000500en.rgn but got "stuck" when trying to load the file 082700010280.rgn. Then I certainly remembered that I had not deleted the GUPDATE.GCD from the nuvi. The nuvi screen now is showing "System software missing". Please help.. Thanks in advance.
plumber

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:19 pm

Flash back to RGN generated from original firmware.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

plumber

Postby plumber » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:16 pm

Thanks,
But I don't have the copy of the RGN file. The Nuvi can not be detected by the updater and window explorer anymore :cry:

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:10 pm

Pls refer to your PM inbox.

plumber

Postby plumber » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:59 am

Thank you Bro dvpro!
My problem has been solved.
It seemed that the problem (system software missing) occurred when I didn't release my power button as soon as I saw the word "loader" appearing on the nuvi screen. It happened again during my second attempt. No panic! All I needed to do was to repeat the same step while the nuvi remained connected to the computer.
I managed to flash my 2008 Nuvi 205W into Nuvi 2W 2.7. I could not update it further by using the webupdater. So I used the 2.8 RGN found in this forum instead and it was successful. Finally, I downloaded the Nuvi 255W 3.0 updater from garmin sg site to give my nuvi the latest update.
So, now my old nuvi 205w has been converted into nuvi 2w that is practically identical to nuvi 255w.
I love this nuvi 2W because the satellite fixation is as fast as my nuvi 765 while the battery life is very much better. The TTS in this 3.0 software seems to have improved compared to the 2.7 version. The pronunciation of the local road name is more legible. I have gained a small compass at the left side of the screen during navigation. There are other fun (but not too useful) features e.g highway view, lane assist and the junctional view on the navigation screen.
Plumber

clow8

Postby clow8 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:32 pm

Hi Plumber,
I have flashed my 255W (S4 board) to 2.7, but failed to update to 2.8 version.
Can you teach me how to do that?

clow8

Postby clow8 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:51 pm

Can anyone send me a link to get "082701000500en.rgn" ?

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:57 pm

This link which is available at the first page is still working: http://www.mediafire.com/?dd00njx5tyh

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”