Converting Nuvi 2x5W Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
BuRR06

Re: Converting Nuvi 2x5W Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby BuRR06 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:43 pm

anyone found a method to convert US 255w with HWID 1091 already ??

623MRB1

Postby 623MRB1 » Sun May 16, 2010 5:36 pm

I have a 205W S2 board already flashed to 2W and ver 2.60 SG/MY with JCV enabled but without TTS. Can I still execute the step below to enable TTS? Thanks!

STEP 3: Enabling TTS (Text-to-speech) on the 205w or 255w EU (Other models go to the next step)

WARNING: This hack comes with a minor flaw. The boot up logo of your unit will change to a Chinese logo.
Actually there is a clean patch to solve this problem but I am not allowed to distribute it.

1. Download the following file.
http://rapidshare.com/files/285527272/E ... n_205w.rar

Mirror:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ta4ntdtnymm

2. Unrar the file.

3. Drag the file CHN_v270.rgn and drop to Updater.exe

4. Under Connection Setting, Select USB Device.

5. Slide and HOLD the Power Button of the Nuvi, then quickly plug in the USB cable to
connect to the computer. (Continue to hold the power button).

6. The updater.exe will detect the USB Device with your model software and Unit ID.
(Continue to hold the power button)

7. Click "Ok" on the updater to process the flashing.

8. Release the Power Button AFTER you see "LOADER" appear on the Garmin Unit.

9. Let it flash the firmware (Do Not Disconnect your Garmin unit from your computer) till it is completed.

10. Once the update completes, let the Garmin unit boots until the nuvi drive appears
on the PC. Then disconnect the cable from the PC.

11. Verify that you have a CHN firmware installed by going to the "About" screen. The
version should be v2.70

12. Copy GUPDATE.GCD from the nuvi205W_CHN_v290 folder to the garmin folder of your unit

13. Disconnect the USB cable and let the unit restart. It will update itself to CHN v2.90.

14. Verify that you have CHN v2.90 installed.

15. Delete the GUPDATE.GCD from the garmin folder of your unit.

16. You have enabled TTS on your unit.

NOTE: For 205w, if you later flash your unit to US/EU firmware, you'll not be able to use TTS.
This hack is discovered by worawut610 of Thailand's smart-mobile.com

ck_yoong

Postby ck_yoong » Thu May 20, 2010 2:28 am

Woohoo managed to flash perfectly my unit. I am using a Australia set 255W with HWID 0827 and Board S3.. Use the firmware on the first page 09300xxx.rgn.

The problem i encountered using that .rgn is firstly when the updater.exe detect my gps it says no available update. Then using the same .rgn I just rename the file 0930 to 0827 like ktan's file and it works perfectly.

Then just follow the instructions step by step.

P/S: I enter the diagnostic menu and plug in the usb rather than the hold power button method.

:rox:

Faced a slight bug which is whenever I enter the diagnostic mode the text language will change to African text. All I did to fix it was to delete the African text which fixed the problem. (Using SgMy v3.00)
Last edited by ck_yoong on Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

clow8

Postby clow8 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:37 pm

Anyone has flashed their US set (S4 board) to local firmware 2.7 and successfully upgrade to 2.8 or latest 3.0 version?

oneoftwo

Postby oneoftwo » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:01 am

many thanks for all the info here, successfully converted my S2 / 827 to MAL/SIN 3.0 :)

oh, and at least with my hw/sw combination it doesn't seem to be a problem to get additional voices via webupdater.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:34 am

oneoftwo wrote:oh, and at least with my hw/sw combination it doesn't seem to be a problem to get additional voices via webupdater.

And thereafter, have you verified that the downloaded voice files work without issues in your Sg/My Nuvi (esp. English_British_.vpm)?
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

oneoftwo

Postby oneoftwo » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:26 pm

I have not verified all downloaded voices yet... What I checked is that the three voices that were updated in the 3.0 update were identical with the downloaded versions of these (Jack, Karen, Daniel). I more extensively tested (i.e. already used) the German TTS voices and some English female TTS ones without issues. I just now checked English_British_.vpm in simulation mode, and this one does seem to have a very strange problem with announcing distances, which it actually seems to share with the German non-TTS voice... As I much prefer the TTS voices anyhow, I'm not very disappointed by this though.

sinned

Postby sinned » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:31 pm

Hi,
my com is able to detect garmin(in diagnostic mode) connecting thru usb but updater can't update it. It is showing garmin 1 .not in main interface
2.garmin not connecting to usb
3.garmin is switched off

can someone pls help me with this?

Sinclone

Postby Sinclone » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:07 am

Hi all,

Firstly thanks for all the instructions here to convert. Its very detailed and I have successfully convert my NUvi 205w taiwan set to SgMy firmware 2.7. Loaded with 2009.05 MSM map to get junction view. However I have a few question that I am not sure, hope all the sifu here can enlighten me.

1. I did not get lane assistant after the convert. I am living in Singapore, is it suppose to have lane assistant in SG?
2. My SgMy firmware is 2.7 after convert, however when i see the forum some say there is a 2.8 version, which is better and how can I upgrade it
3. Can I use MFM map to get Junction View? In the forum some say cannot. I havent try it yet.

Please help. Thanks

jdee

Postby jdee » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:08 am

Sinclone wrote:Hi all,

2. My SgMy firmware is 2.7 after convert, however when i see the forum some say there is a 2.8 version, which is better and how can I upgrade it

Please help. Thanks

2.80 can be found here: http://download.garmin.com/sg/download/ ... G_v280.exe
3.00: http://download.garmin.com/sg/download/ ... G_v300.exe

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”