GPSmap Series

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
chinwy
Regional Mapper

Re: GPSmap Series

Postby chinwy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:43 am

You are correct. With several models in view to compare, it gets mix up and a big mess if you hit the return button on the order form.

My question is it an over kill? I am quite sure with that many happy users, there must be someting I missed out in my eveluation. Or some useful needs I have not experience?

In the dark ages, I use Sunnto altimeters with paper map as additional confirmation. works ok then ... with todays GPS accuracy it is a bit arcade now. Only useful bit is yes you can predict the coming of a coming storm. Not too useful when you are moving fast along hilly terain though, it mess up the prediction.

As for extra battries - for long trips that has no access to power source ie multi days tracking to G Tahan? How do our users cope with those situations? More battries?

Tks.

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:22 pm

I'm quite satisfy with my 60CSx, quite happy with the re-chargeable battery life, about 3 days and the batt still running strong.
:peace:

cflai
Valued Contributor
Location: Seremban (NUVI760 GPSMAP60CSX DOPODU1000 NUVI265WT NUVI1460)

Postby cflai » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:52 am

But if your intention is to collect track log for contribution, and since you own a Nuvi200W, you don't need to buy 60Csx, just buy a GPS data logger that can do 1sec track log will do. I used this method currently. Unless you are a serious trecker. :)

Hi Bro

Could you please give me a lead to where in which website I can see a data logger that gives 1 sec tracks? Sorry quite ignorant on this. My 60CSX broke down lately and I bought a new one, but if I can have a data logger, I may be able to dispend with the CSX as the only functions I need on the 60CSX are:

- That it can do 1sec tracks
- That I can store unlimited number of track logs directly into the SD card without the 10,000 points limit - that means I do not have to depend on the 10,000 points per track limitation of the main memory. My experience is that when driving the whole day, I just need to switch on the 60CSX at start and leave it on the whole day, the tracks will be logged inside the SD card. I assume the data logger can do this?

Thanks

76gpsguy
Polygon Mapper

Postby 76gpsguy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:03 am

cflai wrote:
But if your intention is to collect track log for contribution, and since you own a Nuvi200W, you don't need to buy 60Csx, just buy a GPS data logger that can do 1sec track log will do. I used this method currently. Unless you are a serious trecker. :)

Hi Bro

Could you please give me a lead to where in which website I can see a data logger that gives 1 sec tracks? Sorry quite ignorant on this. My 60CSX broke down lately and I bought a new one, but if I can have a data logger, I may be able to dispend with the CSX as the only functions I need on the 60CSX are:

- That it can do 1sec tracks
- That I can store unlimited number of track logs directly into the SD card without the 10,000 points limit - that means I do not have to depend on the 10,000 points per track limitation of the main memory. My experience is that when driving the whole day, I just need to switch on the 60CSX at start and leave it on the whole day, the tracks will be logged inside the SD card. I assume the data logger can do this?

Thanks
Please read HERE.

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:34 pm

The big different between data logger and handheld unit is we cannot see what we "logged" in real time while handheld unit can. Am I right?

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:26 pm

keong8260 wrote:The big different between data logger and handheld unit is we cannot see what we "logged" in real time while handheld unit can. Am I right?

Yes, you're correct. As a standalone device, the tracks cannot be viewed. Tracks can only be viewed if paired to a PDA/smartphone/notebook running appropriate GPS software.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

Kilat

Postby Kilat » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:09 pm

dvpro wrote:
chinwy wrote:Food for thoughts. Why 60Csx and not 60Cs?

I think you meant 60Csx vs 60Cx. :-k

I have the 60CSx. Was considering getting the Cx before deciding on the CSx, esp. with the $50+ price tag difference. However, based on hundreds of user reviews (try googling or check reviews at amazon.com), finally decided to get the 60CSx. Based on the user reviews, there's a lot of differences apparently, foremost of them is the SIRF GPS chipset. The 60CSx gets a satellite lock faster than the Cx and tracks with better accuracy. Try to check the reviews for more info...

azmie68

Postby azmie68 » Thu May 14, 2009 2:17 pm

Dear GPSMAP Members,

I am a newbie, just got my GPSMAP60CSx about a week ago and still toying with it. Have downlaoded MFM Road and Topo Map to Mapsource works fine but with some limitation on topo display. The question here is how can I have both road and topo map into my GPS? Have tried some options but the topo does not seem to appear on my gps as i zoom-in from 500m below. Can anyone please me?

Azmie.

lwlim

Postby lwlim » Thu May 14, 2009 4:32 pm

azmie68 wrote:Dear GPSMAP Members,

I am a newbie, just got my GPSMAP60CSx about a week ago and still toying with it. Have downlaoded MFM Road and Topo Map to Mapsource works fine but with some limitation on topo display. The question here is how can I have both road and topo map into my GPS? Have tried some options but the topo does not seem to appear on my gps as i zoom-in from 500m below. Can anyone please me?

Azmie.

Hi,

Did you integrate the topo map to MFM road map during the installation of topo map? Once you'd integrated them, simply copy the gmapsupp.img from your MFM folder to your gps device and it should work.

Regards

mohicans
Valued Contributor

Postby mohicans » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:35 am

keong8260 wrote:I'm quite satisfy with my 60CSx, quite happy with the re-chargeable battery life, about 3 days and the batt still running strong.
:peace:

Im actually quite skeptical over rechargeable batteries...not because of its longevity,this is simply because i accidently threw all the rechargeable batteries after the power has been depleted!! ](*,) ...thinking that its all alkaline batteries!
However since you said that it can lasts that long,could you please let me know where to purchase them,model and how much aar??Thanks brudder!! :peace:
"When the grey hair is dead,Magua will eat his heart out"

Return to “GPS Devices”