Garmin Oregon 450

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
toda_k20

Searching Address with the Oregon

Postby toda_k20 » Tue May 18, 2010 9:08 pm

Just got the Oregon 450 from Amazon few weeks back.

Any tips on how to search for MFM addresses with this unit ? I go to address search and it gave me "State/Province" which yield nothing when I key in any of the following: Johore, Malaysia, Singapore.

How would I search by postal code?

While I do not expect a Nuvi like interface, I think it is far to expect address to be searchable right ?

alyem
Regional Mapper

Re: Searching Address with the Oregon

Postby alyem » Tue May 18, 2010 9:37 pm

Dunno what Oregon 450..
But for Oregon 300, when u click address, "spell Country" turn out. > Click "Malaysia" > Click " Search All" > "House Address" Click enter > "Street Name"

Hope this help..
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

toda_k20

Postby toda_k20 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:40 am

alyem wrote:Dunno what Oregon 450..
But for Oregon 300, when u click address, "spell Country" turn out. > Click "Malaysia" > Click " Search All" > "House Address" Click enter > "Street Name"

Hope this help..

OK. For Oregon 450, I don't get "Spell Country" but I get "State/Province".

Zeus73

Postby Zeus73 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:51 am

toda_k20 wrote:

Hope this help..

I'm using Oregon 550, should be having same software as 450. I'm getting the same thing as bro alyem.

Have you load in any local maps?

Btw, how much you got the 450 for?

toda_k20

Postby toda_k20 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:47 pm

Zeus73 wrote:
toda_k20 wrote:

Hope this help..

I'm using Oregon 550, should be having same software as 450. I'm getting the same thing as bro alyem.

Have you load in any local maps?

Btw, how much you got the 450 for?

Hmmm.. perhaps there is a way to change that. Let me check..

I got it in early April when it was selling for 319USD. Price has since gone up to about 360USD.

toda_k20

Postby toda_k20 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:26 am

Update: I have been transferring the map to the Oregon using Mapsource. After using the MFM executable to generate the map and manually copying it to the /garmin folder, I am able to select country when I search addresses.

Is this a bug in Mapsource ?

toda_k20

Garmin Oregon 450

Postby toda_k20 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:25 am

Just loaded the latest 20101011 MFM on my Oregon.

I must say this is the first time I am doing it so I am not sure this problem existed in previous map version but here is the problem.

When I do a second (fresh) address search, I will get a display indicating the position is in the sea and the unit will not respond to the "Go" icon:

The problem will go away after I power down and up the unit.

The search also work fine if I use one of the recent find as a destination. It only happens when you search new address on the second time. I do this after stopping navigation for the first search.

dvpro

Re: Oregon 450: Error on second address search

Postby dvpro » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:08 pm

What are other maps installed in the Oregon? FYI, sometimes installing more than 1 map of the same region may result in map conflict issues such as the one you had encountered. Anyway, try Spell Country (although the country is already listed as a selection) before proceeding with the address search.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

toda_k20

Postby toda_k20 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:20 pm

dvpro wrote:What are other maps installed in the Oregon? FYI, sometimes installing more than 1 map of the same region may result in map conflict issues such as the one you had encountered. Anyway, try Spell Country (although the country is already listed as a selection) before proceeding with the address search.

The only other map on my GPS is the worldwide base map that comes standard with the GPS.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:13 am

OK, tested the map. And I think there's a bug. As a workaround (until it's fixed), you need to Spell Country every time you do an Address search (even if the country already appears as a selection).
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

Return to “GPS Devices”