Nuvi 765T Part 1

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
miju

Nuvi 765T

Postby miju » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:57 pm

Just got the new 765T and significant improvement noticed over my previous 760 thus far are:

(1) Faster signal retrieval
(2) Higher satellite accuracy
(3) Much faster/higher refresh rate
(4) Better graphics and cool animation, etc

Somehow, it comes with some issues though when using mysgfreemaps (and most likely any other maps not issued by Garmin). There are no shapes/polygons of buildings displayed on the map, instead random coloured polygons splashing all over the map and keep on changing randomly when zooming in/out ](*,) .

Heard in some other US forum of similar case for users in other country (if not mistaken in Belgium). The irony is that no such problem when using Garmin City Navigator (albeit rather outdated). Hence, the problem may not be mysgfreemaps itself, but Garmin perhaps [-X trying to force new users of their 7X5 series, to start with, to buy their City Navigator map instead? (...just my wild guess with limited GPS/Mapping knowledge).

Even if that's the real cause, can our sifus here do something to help us the 7X5 users? :prayer:

:tq:

rafizi

Re: Nuvi 765T

Postby rafizi » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:32 pm

Bro Miju, what about the custom POIs, seems like they are not appearing too?

Other than that, I can say the 7x5 series has amazing refresh rate, try city driving around 50-60kmh and you will feel like the car is moving in realtime!

miju

Postby miju » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:15 pm

rafizi wrote:Bro Miju, what about the custom POIs, seems like they are not appearing too?

Other than that, I can say the 7x5 series has amazing refresh rate, try city driving around 50-60kmh and you will feel like the car is moving in realtime!

Yup... apart from the polygon issues, the customized POI icon will not appears at all. :ko:

Something that I have just discovered today is that you may get all the POI of mysgfreemaps onto the 7X5 by having the City Navigator as your gmapsupp in the main memory and mysgfreemaps gmapsupp in your SD card; and then tick both. The map would then still be based on City Navigator, but surprisingly with all mysgfreemaps POI in standard icons (not customized). Although this is better than having outdated City Navigator POI, its certainly not good enough still :thumbsdown: coz the map of City Navigator itself has so many unlinked roads/tracks as discovered during my way home from work at KLCC to Ampang area.

Screen-shots of missing customized icons:

:ko:

miju

Postby miju » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:01 am

New firmware update (2.50) is available for 765T through webupdater this morning. Guess the same is available for any 7X5, and should be able to address the above issue... will try it out and report here later.

:thumbsup:

alyem
Regional Mapper

Postby alyem » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:16 am

miju wrote:Yup... apart from the polygon issues, the customized POI icon will not appears at all. :ko:

Something that I have just discovered today is that you may get all the POI of mysgfreemaps onto the 7X5 by having the City Navigator as your gmapsupp in the main memory and mysgfreemaps gmapsupp in your SD card; and then tick both. The map would then still be based on City Navigator, but surprisingly with all mysgfreemaps POI in standard icons (not customized). Although this is better than having outdated City Navigator POI, its certainly not good enough still :thumbsdown: coz the map of City Navigator itself has so many unlinked roads/tracks as discovered during my way home from work at KLCC to Ampang area.

:ko:

Did you try just using MFM map in the device and take out City Navi completely. Just try..
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

miju

Postby miju » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:39 pm

alyem wrote:Did you try just using MFM map in the device and take out City Navi completely. Just try..

Bro Alyem, tried that before but to no avail.

Somehow the good news is that new firmware 2.50 really solved that polygon issue :thumbsup: and my 765T now perform superbly!. The only minor setback is that the customized icons are still not visible even in 2D. Perhaps it will later be rectified by Garmin... (or our sifu mappers?).

Changes from version 2.20 to version 2.50:
Enhanced map drawing performance and reliability
Enhanced BT audio, connectivity and phonebook support
Inhibit display of the proximity warning over the Lane Assist view
Added additional checks so that Yards is used only for the UK locale
Updated text for the display of street prefixes in Europe
Corrected roundabout angle display in the next turn indicator
Corrected incorrect country code dialing
Corrected some issues that could make the unit's touch screen non-responsive
Corrected issue with warnings about locked GPI files
Corrected issue with Hungarian QWERTY keyboard layout
Corrected several issues with third party map compatibility
Added Fleet Management Interface support

Now I start to appreciate this 7x5 and have no regret upgrading from my previous 760!

Special :tq: to bro Antyong and our sifus here for your kind attention and assistance.

fancheng
Senior Mapper

Postby fancheng » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:45 pm

Taiwan 765 version can view 3D Building check Here
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

miju

Postby miju » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:54 am

fancheng wrote:Taiwan 765 version can view 3D Building check Here

Bro fancheng, have to admit it certainly looks nicer with icons! Heard garmin decided to take out that viewable icons features when navigating (for US/Europe version) to avoid too much crowded map, particularly in those regions.... but they could have probably come up with a better solution by putting an option for users to choose from the unit setting/menu itself (by turning on/off map details with viewable icons) ... which could be handy even for US/Europe users when they navigate in other part of the world/less crowded area :thumbsdown:

bahathir

Postby bahathir » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:49 am

Any 7x5T CAN view 3D building, not just limited to Taiwan version. 7x5T haves PowerVR 3D GPU (graphic engine) built, with OpenGL 3D rendering capabilities.

Agreed with miju, 7x5T lacks of '"Most" level in Detail setting. If you browse US map, especially in NY, you will see too many icons. I really hope Garmin will comes with sw updates to enable the "Most" detail level back.

TQ.
--
Garmin nüvi® 755T (v2.80 TWN)

bahathir

Postby bahathir » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:12 pm

--
Garmin nüvi® 755T (v2.80 TWN)

Return to “GPS Devices”