Garmin Nuvi 1450 / 1460

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
epteh

Re: Garmin Nuvi 1450 / 1460

Postby epteh » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:36 pm

Hi,

Is there an upper limit for the number of addresses inside the address file in the CUSTOM POIs folder (Garmin/Poi/address.gpi)?
I have 75 addresses in the address.poi and the unit only reads 48 of them.

I have been working various ways for 1 day and still got no clue.
Help from the seniors and sifu's would be very muct appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Immortal25

Postby Immortal25 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:15 pm

Actually I also wanted to ask about this address thingy... Don't know if mine and yours are the same but anyways... I've always wanted to know if I could take out the addresses file and put it in some place and only use it when I need them. For example, if I'm travelling between Penang, KL and Singapore, obviously I'd have many coordinates from all states which may include hotels, attractions, foods, shopping malls etc. As the list gets longer for each category, I find it a nuisance to scroll up and down to search the coordinate that I want. So I was thinking if it was possible to just copy all those coordinates and take them out. When for example, I want to go to KL, I'll put those favourites back and take the previous state/country's coordinates out. You guys get what I mean?

epteh

Postby epteh » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:16 pm

Immortal25 wrote:Actually I also wanted to ask about this address thingy... Don't know if mine and yours are the same but anyways... I've always wanted to know if I could take out the addresses file and put it in some place and only use it when I need them. For example, if I'm travelling between Penang, KL and Singapore, obviously I'd have many coordinates from all states which may include hotels, attractions, foods, shopping malls etc. As the list gets longer for each category, I find it a nuisance to scroll up and down to search the coordinate that I want. So I was thinking if it was possible to just copy all those coordinates and take them out. When for example, I want to go to KL, I'll put those favourites back and take the previous state/country's coordinates out. You guys get what I mean?

I suppose you can sub-divide your address into more then 1 file and select the appropriate file as you need it. Furthermore, when the address file is poened, it shows a list of addresses according to the distance with the nearest one and furthest one last.
I don't find it any nuisance, you don't have to scroll much unless you are looking for the furthest point.

My question is what is the maximum number of addresses can be stored in one file.
I prefer all addresses to be in one file.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:56 pm

Immortal25 wrote:Actually I also wanted to ask about this address thingy... Don't know if mine and yours are the same but anyways... I've always wanted to know if I could take out the addresses file and put it in some place and only use it when I need them. For example, if I'm travelling between Penang, KL and Singapore, obviously I'd have many coordinates from all states which may include hotels, attractions, foods, shopping malls etc. As the list gets longer for each category, I find it a nuisance to scroll up and down to search the coordinate that I want. So I was thinking if it was possible to just copy all those coordinates and take them out. When for example, I want to go to KL, I'll put those favourites back and take the previous state/country's coordinates out. You guys get what I mean?

If I am not wrong thet 14XX series, in favorites you can create sub-categories

For example categorize food by country by state ....
Singapore Food
Malaysia Johor Food
Malaysia Malacca Food
Malaysia KL Food
Malaysia Ipoh Food
Malaysia Penang Food
Thailand Chengmai Food
Thailand Bangkok Food
Thailand Haadyai Food

or you can also categorize them by country
Singapore Food
Malaysia Food
Thailand Food

Immortal25

Postby Immortal25 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:37 pm

I tried searching for the address file in my 1460...I can't seem to find it?

Oh, there's no chance to sub-categorise the favourites. Hmm, it's true that it shows the nearest at the top and furthest at the bottom, but I think my main beef with this is that it all gets mixed up...and although quite logically we should know that if the coordinate is about 200+km away it's obviously from another state, but still I always like my things organized and so that if it's out of that particular state, it wouldn't show up. This would probably require Garmin to do some altering to the codes so that's why I don't expect much, so instead I'd like to do it myself, ala copying in and out the address files whenever I wish...if it's possible. :frus:

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:07 pm

Immortal25 wrote:I tried searching for the address file in my 1460...I can't seem to find it?

Oh, there's no chance to sub-categorise the favourites. Hmm, it's true that it shows the nearest at the top and furthest at the bottom, but I think my main beef with this is that it all gets mixed up...and although quite logically we should know that if the coordinate is about 200+km away it's obviously from another state, but still I always like my things organized and so that if it's out of that particular state, it wouldn't show up. This would probably require Garmin to do some altering to the codes so that's why I don't expect much, so instead I'd like to do it myself, ala copying in and out the address files whenever I wish...if it's possible. :frus:

Actually Garmin's favorites way of sorting makes sense. It sorts from nearest to furthest from the location you are currently at. So if you sub-categorize, like I mentioned it still makes it easier for you to search. Say you are in JB and wanted Melaka food POI, you look for the POIs in the Melaka favorite category. You need not scroll through the POI between JB and Melaka to find the POI in Melaka. Just click on Melaka and all the POIs will appear. POIs in JB, Sin, KL all will not show in this sub-category. Hope this helps

FYI all the POIs are stored in the Nuvi Root/GPS/current.gpx file

Immortal25

Postby Immortal25 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:29 pm

Ok...thanks for the replies guys..

Anyways 2 major questions regarding my 1460.

Firstly, about the travel guide...that has to be bought eh? Is there a free travel guide somewhere around the net? Is it really useful? Have any of you used this feature?

Secondly, some questions regarding the routes... created a route with 4 destinations...the problem is, whenever I reach one of the destination, obviously I have to get down from the car thus the GPS would be turn off, and when I come back to the car and turn it on, it doesn't quite continue where we left off. Instead I have to create the route all over again. I'd think this is a poor programming but please enlighten me? Another problem is whenever we reach a destination, obviously the GPS doesn't quite read us as having arrived unless we actually pass by the actual coordinate on the map...if we just stop near to the destination it doesn't read as having arrived. So when we want to go to the next destination, there is no NEXT button or something to bypass that first destination. Instead the silly GPS would keep asking me to u-turn and re-route me back to that first destination thinking I've not arrived there yet. This routing problem also happens when we make a wrong turn while on our way to a destination and if for example, between those 3 destinations, the roads will be used again, the GPS gets all confused and thought that we are heading to another destination.

Basically, the whole routing thing is poorly programmed. Or am I missing something? Do advise and tell me your opinions about it and how you gets make use of that feature.

Thanks!

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:03 am

Immortal25 wrote:Ok...thanks for the replies guys..

Anyways 2 major questions regarding my 1460.

Firstly, about the travel guide...that has to be bought eh? Is there a free travel guide somewhere around the net? Is it really useful? Have any of you used this feature?

Secondly, some questions regarding the routes... created a route with 4 destinations...the problem is, whenever I reach one of the destination, obviously I have to get down from the car thus the GPS would be turn off, and when I come back to the car and turn it on, it doesn't quite continue where we left off. Instead I have to create the route all over again. I'd think this is a poor programming but please enlighten me? Another problem is whenever we reach a destination, obviously the GPS doesn't quite read us as having arrived unless we actually pass by the actual coordinate on the map...if we just stop near to the destination it doesn't read as having arrived. So when we want to go to the next destination, there is no NEXT button or something to bypass that first destination. Instead the silly GPS would keep asking me to u-turn and re-route me back to that first destination thinking I've not arrived there yet. This routing problem also happens when we make a wrong turn while on our way to a destination and if for example, between those 3 destinations, the roads will be used again, the GPS gets all confused and thought that we are heading to another destination.

Basically, the whole routing thing is poorly programmed. Or am I missing something? Do advise and tell me your opinions about it and how you gets make use of that feature.

Thanks!

Multi-point route can be accomplish by splitting the journey into pre-plan journey vs one single journey. For example a journey from A - F can be split into 3 routes ( if you want to have 3 stops ). So in your GPS, you have it stored as for example Route A, Route B, Route C and Route D. You start off with Route A and rest/stop when you reach end of route A ( which is also start of route B). You then select Route B when you are ready to begin it to next destination.

Actually a single route can also accomplish the task if you do not want to go via a pre-determine route as above. If you are OK to let the GPS determine the route, you just let the GPS know your final destination and follow the route it computes. Stop anywhere you want along the way? As entire route is not completed, GPS will remember your current stop and continue from there.

As this is a GPS, you are also free to intentionally deviate from GPS chosen route. When the GPS detects this, it will dynamically re-calculate and offer a fresh routing based on your current location. This is what a GPS is for, getting you to the location you want. It can suggest a route but ultimately it is you who decides how about you want to go by.

But remember, a GPS is not "God". Common sense should prevail over a machine instructions :-'

Suggest you familiarize with features/functions of the Nuvi so you can take full advantage of it. There are many ways to use the Nuvi that the user manual never mentions :thumbsup:

Immortal25

Postby Immortal25 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:05 pm

True...am still learning to use it effectively even after a year. Anyways you're right on the single route being separated into multiple routes to avoid problems but my gripe was that since the feature was to enable a long single route with several destinations, what's the use if it restarts when I off the GPS? This is because for eg. 1 route consisting of destination A -> B -> C -> D. So we start from A and arrive at B, got out from car so meaning we have to off the GPS and go for makan or sightseeing. When we got back to the car and plug in the GPS again, the route is gone and if I selected the route I created which is A -> B -> C -> D; it tells me to go to A when we are actually already on B.

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:21 pm

Immortal25 wrote:True...am still learning to use it effectively even after a year. Anyways you're right on the single route being separated into multiple routes to avoid problems but my gripe was that since the feature was to enable a long single route with several destinations, what's the use if it restarts when I off the GPS? This is because for eg. 1 route consisting of destination A -> B -> C -> D. So we start from A and arrive at B, got out from car so meaning we have to off the GPS and go for makan or sightseeing. When we got back to the car and plug in the GPS again, the route is gone and if I selected the route I created which is A -> B -> C -> D; it tells me to go to A when we are actually already on B.

GPS already know you are at B so you will start at B. When you reach C, GPS will know you are at C and vice versa.......

Return to “GPS Devices”