How to revive a dying Holux GPSlim 236

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
zamad
Valued Contributor

How to revive a dying Holux GPSlim 236

Postby zamad » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:43 am

If you wondered why my 236 has been plutoed to semi-retirement mode, it is because of its inconsistencies in maintaining the BT connection with my Palm TX, and on more than a few occasions it had let me down :frus: It works when it wants to work. Can't have that...! From my readings at other forums, this is due to the circuit connectivity on its PCB for this certain batch made.

Anyways, I manage to get it working again, but not when the PCB is in its original casing. Even when the PCB is put carefully back in, most of the time it plays dead. What I did was to wrap the PCB with kitchen cling-on plastic (for wrapping dishes for microwave or fridge) to insulate the PCB from possible short-circuit, mount the battery and secure it with rubber band. It is not a pretty sight, but it works :) . Now all I need to do is to switch it on, twist the PCB board at the corner indicated and wait for BT to connect, and put in on the non-slip mat on the dashboard.

I'm posting 2 pix of the 236, if anyone wants to know how it looks like in the insides. So... don't throw away your 236. There might still be life in it. The only tools you need is a small flat-head screwdriver.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

JJ007
Valued Contributor

Re: How to revive a dying Holux GPSlim 236

Postby JJ007 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm

wah, you just give me an idea how to make use of my retire holux . it is still working just that now I have a Oregon :lol:

that is what I am going to do ...

open up the plastic casing, remove the battery

Open up my notebook back casing

connect a short usb cable to the device, solder the other end to one of my notebook USB connector (internally) to get 5V supply to the device

wrap the whole thing with something that insulate it from short circuiting to my note book.

wala, I have a notebook with embeded GPS functionality 8-)

why so? always forgot to carry along the BT GPS device when I need it lah ... :-'

(or is it a stupid idea?)
Device : Edge 800, Nuvi 1460 SG/My, Oregon 300
EPL : Man United Rocks !

Return to “GPS Devices”