Nuvi 42LM

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Nuvi 42LM

Postby moeyhc » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:41 pm

I'm helping a friend to clean up his 42LM and something strange happened. No matter what I do to delete his favorites it came back after a re-boot. I then deleted the current.gpx file but this does not help. I proceed to do a Reset by pressing on the lower right hand corner of the screen while it Boots and clearing all user Data. Still no luck with it. Lastly, deleted the "current.gpx" file together with a Reset and this works.

May I know if the Favorites are store in the current.gpx and if yes, should it be gone when I deleted it? Where else is the favorite store?... Took me a while to clear everything.... :x
Common Sense Is Not Common.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Nuvi 42LM

Postby silverbeauty » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:42 am

moeyhc wrote:I'm helping a friend to clean up his 42LM and something strange happened. No matter what I do to delete his favorites it came back after a re-boot. I then deleted the current.gpx file but this does not help. I proceed to do a Reset by pressing on the lower right hand corner of the screen while it Boots and clearing all user Data. Still no luck with it. Lastly, deleted the "current.gpx" file together with a Reset and this works.

May I know if the Favorites are store in the current.gpx and if yes, should it be gone when I deleted it? Where else is the favorite store?... Took me a while to clear everything.... :x

Bro Moey, If my memory does not fail me, think this is a bug in Nuvi 42 series. The favorites data is is also replicated in unit main NOVRAM which is inaccessible to user. You have to delete current.gpx, then do a system reset or you can hook nuvi to basecamp and delete it manually.

System Reset Procedure
Start with the device OFF and unplugged from power
Press and hold the lower right hand corner of the display portion of the touchscreen
Power on the device while continuing to hold the display
Remove your finger from the touchscreen when "Erase all user data?" appears
Touch Yes

moeyhc
Valued Contributor

Postby moeyhc » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:35 am

Bro SB,

Thanks for the info. I was so frustrated with it until I decided to Reset and Deleted all at once... Only this method works... Damn it Garmin... will send them my BP medicine bill if I need them... :x I think it is really Stupid to store this in the Non Volatile RAM that is non accessible... :frus:

eddy_duyung
Contributor
Location: Tinggi Island,Johore. Garmin Mobile XT,nüvi 50LM,nüvi 880,nüvi 255W,nüvi 2465

Postby eddy_duyung » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:08 am

Bro,normally i can copy the " current.gpx" and open it with mapsources...so cant we put back the backup of " current.gpx to the unit? or ad list we have the backup of " current.gpx " ,and can have the list of our favourite in our PC if thats file is corrupt.Sorry if missunderstanding..
Nokia 5800XM , Garmin nüvi 50LM,Garmin nüvi 880,Garmin nüvi 255W,Garmin nüvi 2465

moeyhc
Valued Contributor

Postby moeyhc » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:07 pm

Correct, you can save the current.gpx and use it to re install to your Nuvi. But, how do you clean the unit before installing a new set of favorites? If you delete it all, it will restore back to original again after a reboot... This is weird and strange. What we are discussing here is to delete the favorites without it reappearing again.

Rona D'sara
Contributor

Postby Rona D'sara » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:39 pm

Same thing happened to my 52lm have to do hard reset to delete the current folder and the problem is the favourite poi also stored inside once deleted everything gone unless we do a backup copy.

eddy_duyung
Contributor
Location: Tinggi Island,Johore. Garmin Mobile XT,nüvi 50LM,nüvi 880,nüvi 255W,nüvi 2465

Postby eddy_duyung » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:45 am

And no options to delete the blue line of tracklog..i own Nuvi 50 before..so much limitations
Nokia 5800XM , Garmin nüvi 50LM,Garmin nüvi 880,Garmin nüvi 255W,Garmin nüvi 2465

Return to “GPS Devices”