Frequent Lost Satellite Signal on 3560LM

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
carlover

Frequent Lost Satellite Signal on 3560LM

Postby carlover » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:24 pm

Anyone using 3560LM here?

Recently I have issue with my 3560LM as it keep drop signal frequently even on clear sky on the empressway.

I notice there are times that it does not pick up any signals at all when there is no signal indications on the signal page. I dun have such issues previously and it is coming to a year and the warranty will be expired soon.

I have sent it back to Garmin thru AllBright, their boss also tested it with me on a short testing route and deduced that it is problem with my car.

I have also install the Re-radiating antenna but it does not solved my problem as when I park a place with no blockage, it will also drop signals.

I really give up on this set and thinking to change to another GPS, anyone has any advice?
Currently Using : Garmin NUVI 3560LM with Live Traffic FM Receiver

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Frequent Lost Satellite Signal on 3560LM

Postby silverbeauty » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:06 pm

carlover wrote:Anyone using 3560LM here?

Recently I have issue with my 3560LM as it keep drop signal frequently even on clear sky on the empressway.

I notice there are times that it does not pick up any signals at all when there is no signal indications on the signal page. I dun have such issues previously and it is coming to a year and the warranty will be expired soon.

I have sent it back to Garmin thru AllBright, their boss also tested it with me on a short testing route and deduced that it is problem with my car.

I have also install the Re-radiating antenna but it does not solved my problem as when I park a place with no blockage, it will also drop signals.

I really give up on this set and thinking to change to another GPS, anyone has any advice?

Hv you tested it in another car without any tint ?

Are you sure the re-rad antenna is boosting the signal inside your car ?

carlover

Postby carlover » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:52 am

silverbeauty wrote:
carlover wrote:Anyone using 3560LM here?

Hv you tested it in another car without any tint ?

Brother, I only got one car so no chance to test on another car.

How to test whether the re-radiating antenna is working?

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:09 pm

carlover wrote:
silverbeauty wrote:Hv you tested it in another car without any tint ?

Bro I am sure you have buddies who drives and your Nuvi is portable :mrgreen:

Unless you have access to signal strength meter, you use what you have. Put re-rad external antenna outside your home. Put the re-rad internal antenna inside your homw as far away from windows. Put you GPS next to it. Does the signal strength improve ?

carlover

Postby carlover » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:20 am

silverbeauty wrote:
carlover wrote:
silverbeauty wrote:Hv you tested it in another car without any tint ?

Bro I am sure you have buddies who drives and your Nuvi is portable :mrgreen:

Unless you have access to signal strength meter, you use what you have. Put re-rad external antenna outside your home. Put the re-rad internal antenna inside your homw as far away from windows. Put you GPS next to it. Does the signal strength improve ?

Brother, thanks for your suggestion. I have already install the Re-radiating antenna on my car so dun want the hassle to remove and install back again.

What I have done is borrow another set of gps then on the same spot, put one set of gps outside the car like on the bonnet, the other set is mounted inside the car with the re-radiating antenna power on and see the Satellite signals on both gps.

Then power off the re-radiating antenna and compare the signals again to test what is the issue whether it lies on any interruption inside the car or gps issue.

I guess it should be OK to test like that, right? Or you can assist me by testing it in your car?

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:49 pm

carlover wrote:

Brother, thanks for your suggestion. I have already install the Re-radiating antenna on my car so dun want the hassle to remove and install back again.

What I have done is borrow another set of gps then on the same spot, put one set of gps outside the car like on the bonnet, the other set is mounted inside the car with the re-radiating antenna power on and see the Satellite signals on both gps.

Then power off the re-radiating antenna and compare the signals again to test what is the issue whether it lies on any interruption inside the car or gps issue.

I guess it should be OK to test like that, right? Or you can assist me by testing it in your car?

No need to remove rerad antenna installation. Just unplug power to rerad and note accuracy then replug and note if any change in accuracy to tell if rerad is working.

If no signal detected, remove your Nuvi and move it to the bonnet and check the accuracy again. If still no signal outside car and you have clear view of the sky, then maybe your Nuvi is the problem. If there is signal outside car but no signal inside car then problem may be tint film.

Where is your external antenna for the rerad located? It should be outside the car and more than 1m from your Nuvi location.

Your way may not be conclusive if the one on the bonnet is already at max accuracy.
Lean not on your own understanding

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:39 pm

carlover wrote:

Try out what Bro JasonLee suggest.

If you want to we can arrange one Sunday afternoon to test it out if you want to.

I have both an ICE Garmin GPS installed in my car and a Nuvi 3790 / 1350 though I use only one of the three.

If I remember it correctly you live in TP ?

carlover

Postby carlover » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:17 pm

silverbeauty wrote:
silverbeauty wrote:
carlover wrote:

Try out what Bro JasonLee suggest.

If you want to we can arrange one Sunday afternoon to test it out if you want to.

I have both an ICE Garmin GPS installed in my car and a Nuvi 3790 / 1350 though I use only one of the three.

If I remember it correctly you live in TP ?

Brother, thanks for your offer to help out.

I managed to solve my problem after doing a trace on what cause the interference in the GPS Signal near my car dashboard area.

I have the default In-Car GPS installed and the antenna is installed on my dashboard, it do looks like the external antenna which is square in shape.

When I plug out the cable for that antenna, the GPS signals came back in full signals then once I plug it in, the signals all went off.

Conclusion, that antenna on my dashboard is faulty so causing interference near my dashboard area. What I will do is to plug out the cable as the GPS map is not updated and I seldom use it too.

I also decided to sell off the Re-radiating antenna, let me know if anyone interested.

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:16 pm

Great news that you solved the problem. :thumbsup:

Return to “GPS Devices”