Nuvi 1350 error msg "Cant unlock maps" after map update

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
aero99

Nuvi 1350 error msg "Cant unlock maps" after map update

Postby aero99 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:39 am

Dear All,

Its been a while since i use my garmin (about 1~2 yrs), yesterday took out to update map from garmin website with its Garmin Express, after that i get this "Cant unlock maps" error whenever i start the device.

Also the GPS seems very hard to pinpoint my current location and the map goes all haywire, repeatedly reroute even im on the straight road, tested when i drove to office this morning.

I not sure what just happen as my device is Genuine (non AP), thinking of Hard reset it (by pressing right bottom screen when On) but prob is the custom POI preset by the seller when i got this device and my All favorite is what i not sure how to back it up, also and do i need to reload all the maps since i purchase it since 2010?

Or if there is an easier way to fix the prob?

Seeking for your advise.

Thank you in advance.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Nuvi 1350 error msg "Cant unlock maps" after map update

Postby silverbeauty » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:25 am

aero99 wrote:Dear All,

Its been a while since i use my garmin (about 1~2 yrs), yesterday took out to update map from garmin website with its Garmin Express, after that i get this "Cant unlock maps" error whenever i start the device.

Also the GPS seems very hard to pinpoint my current location and the map goes all haywire, repeatedly reroute even im on the straight road, tested when i drove to office this morning.

I not sure what just happen as my device is Genuine (non AP), thinking of Hard reset it (by pressing right bottom screen when On) but prob is the custom POI preset by the seller when i got this device and my All favorite is what i not sure how to back it up, also and do i need to reload all the maps since i purchase it since 2010?

Seeking for your advise.

Thank you in advance.

Two things that is wrong :

1. Your Nuvi is not entitled to update the Garmin NT Map which is a commercial map
You can download the Garmin MfM map but this needs an unlock code which is
obtained when you enter your unit ID ( located in Nuvi tools info )

2. Looks like you had overridden your old NT map and now there is no map inside
your Nuvi thus the problems you are encountering.
Restore with backup files and you will be fine but using old map

Then download the appropriate MfM map located in garmin.com.sg mapupdate for your Nuvi 1350 unit.

aero99

Postby aero99 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:22 am

silverbeauty wrote:

Seeking for your advise.

Thank you in advance.

Two things that is wrong :

1. Your Nuvi is not entitled to update the Garmin NT Map which is a commercial map
You can download the Garmin MfM map but this needs an unlock code which is
obtained when you enter your unit ID ( located in Nuvi tools info )

2. Looks like you had overridden your old NT map and now there is no map inside
your Nuvi thus the problems you are encountering.
Restore with backup files and you will be fine but using old map

Then download the appropriate MfM map located in garmin.com.sg mapupdate for your Nuvi 1350 unit.

Thank you for your explaination sir, i see what i can do when i reach home (forgot to bring the mini usb cable to work XD)

anyway would a hard reset fix this problem too?

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:41 am

aero99 wrote:
anyway would a hard reset fix this problem too?

No. Hard reset does not bring back an erased map :-'

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:32 am

Seeking for your advise.

Thank you in advance.

You can't unlock maps because the maps are locked and you are not entitled to get the unlock code.

If you cannot unlock the map, what map are you using that goes haywire?

When you check more than 1 map of the same geographical area, one of the expected problems is the map behaves erratically.

As Bro SilverBeauty mentioned, a hard reset only gets rid of user data and customisation but will not bring back a deleted map. Custom POIs and Favorites are not linked to any map. If you have not saved them, they are lost forever.
Lean not on your own understanding

aero99

Postby aero99 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:16 am

hi all, i updated MFM and it seems to be working, but the same error always prompt whenever i start the device, will test the navigation when i on my way home.

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:54 am

aero99 wrote:hi all, i updated MFM and it seems to be working, but the same error always prompt whenever i start the device, will test the navigation when i on my way home.

MfM NT map stores map under name gmapsupp.img while Garmin NT map stores map under gmapprom.img. The Garmin NT map is the problem causing the "Cant unlock maps" to appear. Delete this map file name and you should see the error go away

aero99

Postby aero99 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:45 am

silverbeauty wrote:
aero99 wrote:hi all, i updated MFM and it seems to be working, but the same error always prompt whenever i start the device, will test the navigation when i on my way home.

MfM NT map stores map under name gmapsupp.img while Garmin NT map stores map under gmapprom.img. The Garmin NT map is the problem causing the "Cant unlock maps" to appear. Delete this map file name and you should see the error go away

thanks! no impact to the device by removing gmapprom.img? btw with this case reference, would it be possible if i get other same model gmapprom.img file and replace it?

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:21 pm

I have just confirm that the serial number at the back of the Nuvi and the Unit ID can be used to generate the unlock code. The Garmin code generator support both.

Hope this helps.
Common Sense Is Not Common.

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:13 pm

aero99 wrote:thanks! no impact to the device by removing gmapprom.img? btw with this case reference, would it be possible if i get other same model gmapprom.img file and replace it?

Garmin NT map is a commercial product. Your 1350 not entitled for free update.
Garmin MfM should be enough for your daily navigation needs.

Return to “GPS Devices”