Garmin Nuvi 50LM

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
vash_h

Garmin Nuvi 50LM

Postby vash_h » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:17 pm

OK.. PC Fair is here again.. and i got the Garmin Nuvi 50LM for only RM499, and yes, i know can get cheaper from low yat forums.. but i prefer to buy from the retail.. cash and carry, and peace of mind.

I was previously using Garmin Nuvi 205W (from taiwan), and was happy using mfm maps although junction view doesnt work.

then couldnt resist it and shifted it to Papago Z1.

Now, seeing mfm is now supported on garmin with junction view, here i am again. i still prefer garmin's interface.

having said those, i have several questions.

1st, how do i update the MFM map?
the set i have comes pre-installed MFM 2012.10 map, which i upgraded to 2012.20 map from garmin.com.sg website. but i read somewhere here, we can copy it to sd card, which i prefer to do anyway.. i also store my maps in SD card on my 205W. So i did it, create map folder and copied 3 files there, gmapsupp.img, gmapsupp.sum and gmapsupp.unl, then renamed it to MFM 201220.img, MFM 201220.sum and MFM 201220.unl

now, i would like to check with you guys, how should i update future maps? i cant possibly wait for garmin to update the mfm map.. it only comes 4 times a year.. most of the times even less. Also, when i was upgrading the map, i noticed junction view files are being copied as well, which i suppose is part of the upgrade process.

SO how should i proceed to update the map more frequently?

2nd, POI doesnt seem to be showing when navigating. is there something wrong with the map or is it with the unit itself? MFM POI is showing fine on my 205W

3rd, the routing is terrible. the 50LM will bring me to go a big detour to get to my destination.. it worked normally on my papago and 205W. is there changes in the map data or is there something wrong with my unit. i have switched off avoidance (except unpaved road, for obvious reasons i dont want to drive on unpaved road)

finally, is there a custom keyboard layout i can use? i loved the customised one for 205W.

for 2nd and 3rd issue, if its not map problem, then i would proceed with strong complaints with Garmin and warranty claims.

your assistance is greatly appreciated.

p/s, i only have MFM selected under map details in settings.
<-My Blog: HaroldChia.com->
<-MFM MAPS + Garmin Nuvi 50LM + Papago Z1 + Garmin Nuvi 205w + Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 ->

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Garmin Nuvi 50LM

Postby silverbeauty » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:12 pm

vash_h wrote:OK.. PC Fair is here again.. and i got the Garmin Nuvi 50LM for only RM499, and yes, i know can get cheaper from low yat forums.. but i prefer to buy from the retail.. cash and carry, and peace of mind.

I was previously using Garmin Nuvi 205W (from taiwan), and was happy using mfm maps although junction view doesnt work.

then couldnt resist it and shifted it to Papago Z1.

Now, seeing mfm is now supported on garmin with junction view, here i am again. i still prefer garmin's interface.

having said those, i have several questions.

1st, how do i update the MFM map?
the set i have comes pre-installed MFM 2012.10 map, which i upgraded to 2012.20 map from garmin.com.sg website. but i read somewhere here, we can copy it to sd card, which i prefer to do anyway.. i also store my maps in SD card on my 205W. So i did it, create map folder and copied 3 files there, gmapsupp.img, gmapsupp.sum and gmapsupp.unl, then renamed it to MFM 201220.img, MFM 201220.sum and MFM 201220.unl

now, i would like to check with you guys, how should i update future maps? i cant possibly wait for garmin to update the mfm map.. it only comes 4 times a year.. most of the times even less. Also, when i was upgrading the map, i noticed junction view files are being copied as well, which i suppose is part of the upgrade process.

SO how should i proceed to update the map more frequently?
Read this post to understand the mechanics of how/where to put maps in newer Nuvis. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13170

2nd, POI doesnt seem to be showing when navigating. is there something wrong with the map or is it with the unit itself? MFM POI is showing fine on my 205W
could be related to memory management of graphics. :-k

3rd, the routing is terrible. the 50LM will bring me to go a big detour to get to my destination.. it worked normally on my papago and 205W. is there changes in the map data or is there something wrong with my unit. i have switched off avoidance (except unpaved road, for obvious reasons i dont want to drive on unpaved road)
Don't know about 50M series but my 3790 n 765 both exhibit similar routing ....

finally, is there a custom keyboard layout i can use? i loved the customised one for 205W.
Not that I know of

for 2nd and 3rd issue, if its not map problem, then i would proceed with strong complaints with Garmin and warranty claims.

your assistance is greatly appreciated.

p/s, i only have MFM selected under map details in settings.

vash_h

Postby vash_h » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:18 pm

thanks for the links silverbeauty :)
<-MFM MAPS + Garmin Nuvi 50LM + Papago Z1 + Garmin Nuvi 205w + Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 ->

vash_h

Postby vash_h » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:49 am

ok.. i copied the cgps malfreemap to my 50LM and renamed my existing 2012.20 img file to .bakimg file.. guess what? POI still not showing.

i copied the same file to my 205W.. and it is showing fine.

DAMN.. its not a map problem. now still waiting for garmin to reply my email. they said 5 business days to reply.. so monday is their deadline to reply me.

tonyyan

Postby tonyyan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:31 pm

Recently I bought my nephew the 50LM ( Localised SG/My ) and added a few maps for him on the mini SD card but when inserted into the 50LM only 1 map showed .

I too have tried by subsituiting it with my Sdcard from my 1350 but no map showed...?

I brought it back to the shop and the retailer told me that for this series the unit is "locked"....??

Can someone plse. explain or confirm this.

Thks. & rgds

vash_h

Postby vash_h » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:36 pm

tonyyan wrote:Recently I bought my nephew the 50LM ( Localised SG/My ) and added a few maps for him on the mini SD card but when inserted into the 50LM only 1 map showed .

I too have tried by subsituiting it with my Sdcard from my 1350 but no map showed...?

I brought it back to the shop and the retailer told me that for this series the unit is "locked"....??

Can someone plse. explain or confirm this.

Thks. & rgds

could you please provide us with more information on the maps you put in the sd card and where in the sd card did you put the maps.. whether it is x:\maps (x denotes the drive of your sd card) or x:\map or just at the root directory x:\

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:19 am

vash_h wrote:POI doesnt seem to be showing when navigating. is there something wrong with the map or is it with the unit itself? MFM POI is showing fine on my 205W

All new Nuvis (1xxx, 2xxx, 3xxx, 50LM, 40LM) are like that. You only see POIs during navigation if it is zoomed down to 80m.
Garmin nüvi 2575R; Garmin eTrex Vista HCx; Android 5.0.1 Phone

vash_h

Postby vash_h » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:16 am

tympg wrote:
vash_h wrote:POI doesnt seem to be showing when navigating. is there something wrong with the map or is it with the unit itself? MFM POI is showing fine on my 205W

All new Nuvis (1xxx, 2xxx, 3xxx, 50LM, 40LM) are like that. You only see POIs during navigation if it is zoomed down to 80m.

Damn.. i dont like this..

tonyyan

Postby tonyyan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:17 am

Vash_H,
I named Sd card ''Map'' and copied maps into said SD card.It's what I do for my 1350's SD card.
Thks & rgds

tonyyan

Postby tonyyan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:49 am

Vash_H,

Yesterday noon I tried another way ,I used Gmaptool and ''stiched'' all the maps my nephew wanted into 1gmapsupp image.

This worked when I loaded SDCard into the 50LM.

So my conclusion is that the new series is kinda like the older series ec. my 250W where Sd card only accepts one gmapsupp image.

thks. & rgds.

Return to “GPS Devices”