Garmin 2565(LM)

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
jchoong

Re: Nuvi 2575RLM

Postby jchoong » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:55 pm

I tend to agree with you guys - to enable only 1 set of maps at a time. But the SYT at Garmin SG told me that all the 3 maps need to be enabled - she mentioned something like the Garmin compiled maps are different from those found on the MFM and MSM websites. That was what she did when I got the 2575 back - with all 3 maps enabled. BTW, the 3 maps on my 2575 now (after the update) are:

1) MFM 2012.10
2) Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT 2012.10 MSM
3) City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NT 2012.10 CN SGM NT 2012.10 ALL

Yesterday I was on a short run and the 2575 had intermittent turn-by-turn navigation (sometimes on; sometimes none). Now I am confused! HELP...
Nuvi 2575; 40LM; Nexus 4

jchoong

Postby jchoong » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:02 pm

Additional findings:

a) When I put maps compiled by MFM and MSM (that are frequently updated) into a SD card, these are not recognized if they are put into the root folder /Garmin (as I used to do before with my old Nuvi). The only way the 2575 will recognize the maps is to put them into a root folder /Map. BTW, this is also true in the case of my other Garmin - Nuvi 3760.

b) Of the 3 maps loaded into the 2575, both the MFM 2012.10 and MSM 2012.10 maps can't find my condo's postal code. The Navigator 2012.10 is able to do so.

c) When I ran all the 3 maps (individually or all 3 selected) on simulated navigation mode, the turn-by-turn navigation seems to work.

(Edit: typo - should be 3760 instead of 3790)
Nuvi 2575; 40LM; Nexus 4

jchoong

Postby jchoong » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:42 pm

I just finished reading the 34 pages on the thread:
MFM-Garmin NT 2012.10 [newer MY/SG localised sets only]

My goodness, things are getting more complex than I expected.

Slowly, slowly.....
Nuvi 2575; 40LM; Nexus 4

ifinder_guy

Re: Garmin Nuvi 2565LM

Postby ifinder_guy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:21 am

After reading all the above post, I would say I have to agree that some memory issue may be the reason why 2565LM GPSr is having all these "hang", "next turn indicator box" missing and is lagging to some extend. I have experience all the above during a trip to KL (2 days ago). Iwas doing fine when I start my journey from Penang, Only when I was driving into Kl that all these start to hapen. lucky for me that i have my 1350 as a backup. It outdo my 2565LM.

Upon checking I noticed that 1350 runs with only 3maps. namely MFM 2012.10 (active), MSM 2012.10 and City Navigator NT 2011.40. It internal memory have a free space of abt 472Mb.

So I start transfering other maps from my Map folder in 2565LM to an external Micro SD card and I deleted my gmapsupp.img and gmapsupp.unl file from that folder. After that I reinstalled MFM 2012.10 NT map. Only then I noticed 2565LM performs much smoother than before. " Next turn indicator box" in view and maps does not "hang" anymore. still praying so that these remedies will work since I was only moving around in Kelana Jaya and Subang Jaya. Hope my journey back to Penang enroute thru Manjung will proved that this solution works. Keep your fingers crossed guys. or if anyone wish to experiment "this" dont forget to backup all your files. btw after transfering all maps and re installing MFM2012.10 from map folder I have abt 554Mb free space in my internal memory.
9W2GPS - Friendship through airwaves - 73.

ace
Valued Contributor

Postby ace » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:27 am

I did suspect that there is a processing speed or a memory issue in the 2565 about a month back when on one of the routing to a unfamiliar location, I went past the junction and the recalculation kicked in.

I can't remembered if I was using the latest MFM map, or the Garmin compiled MFM or the MSM maps, but most of the maps are on the SD card.

ace
Valued Contributor

Postby ace » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:41 am

jchoong wrote:I tend to agree with you guys - to enable only 1 set of maps at a time. But the SYT at Garmin SG told me that all the 3 maps need to be enabled - she mentioned something like the Garmin compiled maps are different from those found on the MFM and MSM websites. That was what she did when I got the 2575 back - with all 3 maps enabled. BTW, the 3 maps on my 2575 now (after the update) are:

1) MFM 2012.10
2) Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT 2012.10 MSM
3) City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NT 2012.10 CN SGM NT 2012.10 ALL

Yesterday I was on a short run and the 2575 had intermittent turn-by-turn navigation (sometimes on; sometimes none). Now I am confused! HELP...

Bro jchoong, looks like the SYT has taken you for a ride.., :mrgreen: :lol: on the part about enabling all the 3 maps together. If I have three navigators telling me which direction to drive, I will probably go nuts and throw all three navigators "out" of the car. :lol: The part about Garmin compiled maps being different from the MSM and MFM sites is, I think, 50% correct. MSM is abled to compiled Garmin standard map since if I'm not wrong, they have a Garmin map compiler. MFM is using a 3rd party compiler for the regular weekly map update. :-k

jchoong

Postby jchoong » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:32 pm

Ace, you are right. I was vulnerable in front of this SYT!

Well, today I went to golf and ticked 2 maps - MFM and Navigator (untick MSM). Everything worked very well. With this combination I can even find my home (condo) by postal code; can't if I run MFM only. Not sure whether JCV is working or not as my route this morning (ECP to airport) does not have any complex junctions.
Nuvi 2575; 40LM; Nexus 4

ifinder_guy

Postby ifinder_guy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:22 am

ifinder_guy wrote:After reading all the above post, I would say I have to agree that some memory issue may be the reason why 2565LM GPSr is having all these "hang", "next turn indicator box" missing and is lagging to some extend. I have experience all the above during a trip to KL (2 days ago). Iwas doing fine when I start my journey from Penang, Only when I was driving into Kl that all these start to hapen. lucky for me that i have my 1350 as a backup. It outdo my 2565LM.

Upon checking I noticed that 1350 runs with only 3maps. namely MFM 2012.10 (active), MSM 2012.10 and City Navigator NT 2011.40. It internal memory have a free space of abt 472Mb.

So I start transfering other maps from my Map folder in 2565LM to an external Micro SD card and I deleted my gmapsupp.img and gmapsupp.unl file from that folder. After that I reinstalled MFM 2012.10 NT map. Only then I noticed 2565LM performs much smoother than before. " Next turn indicator box" in view and maps does not "hang" anymore. still praying so that these remedies will work since I was only moving around in Kelana Jaya and Subang Jaya. Hope my journey back to Penang enroute thru Manjung will proved that this solution works. Keep your fingers crossed guys. or if anyone wish to experiment "this" dont forget to backup all your files. btw after transfering all maps and re installing MFM2012.10 from map folder I have abt 554Mb free space in my internal memory.

Verdict = have no improvement on problems that still persists,
Next course of action = email sent to Garmin for clearification.
What I ask for = Read below

Hi,

I assume these message is forwarded to your technical department or any relevent department that is responsible for any solution.

I recently purchase 1 unit NUVI 2565LM from a local distributer in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The unit operates/ function as it should be upon initial inspection.

My complain is that the screen display will stalled after a prolonged use normally over an hour or more during navigation. Map frozed and no update on next turn info. Switching of power takes a long time to shutdown. Map display is also eratic and jumpy ( refresh rate on screen abt 1 or 2 sec) comparing side by side with Nuvi 1355 you can see a vast difference in performance. Next turn info indicator is also intermitently missing.

Map in use is Garmin NT maps.
1. Mfm 2012.10,
2.Msm 2012.10
3.City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia 2011.40

Seriously with a Nuvi set performing like this, its is going to pull down "GARMIN" from the market fast. As a die hard Garmin fan and user who had use Garmin GPS since the etrex series with a couple of Nuvis and Gmxts this is very dissapointing, never thought Garmin would compromise on quality for quantity to compete globally.

Many Nuvi 2565LM 2575R users complaining in blogs and forums regarding this problem. End users like us would really appreciate a money worth spending on product that we trusted like Garmin. RM600++ worth of petrol would be able to take u and yr family on a round trip across Malaysia. But investing it on a set that is not functioning as it should, would be a waste.

Hopping some good soul would be kind to come up with an explanation of this irregularities or replacement procedure for users like me.

Looking forward for a speedy reply.

Feel cheated.
9W2GPS - Friendship through airwaves - 73.

tokg
Valued Contributor

Re: Garmin 2565(LM)

Postby tokg » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:47 pm

nüvi® 2565LM Sing/Mal Unit Software v6.30
as of 2012/09/05

Change History
1. Fixed reboot issue when pressing "Traffic on route" with TMC enabled.
2. Fixed hang issue when navigating.

http://www.garmin.com.sg/products/onthe ... #updateTab
before=user, now=contributor, future=c2bc (continue to be contributor)

n33d

Re: Garmin 2565(LM)

Postby n33d » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:27 pm

tokg wrote:nüvi® 2565LM Sing/Mal Unit Software v6.30
as of 2012/09/05

Change History
1. Fixed reboot issue when pressing "Traffic on route" with TMC enabled.
2. Fixed hang issue when navigating.

http://www.garmin.com.sg/products/onthe ... #updateTab

updated to 6.30.. hope no more hang/freezing while using the MFM NT map.. now paranoid when using NT map cos last time the gps freeze when i am on an unfamiliar road at night :shock: .. luckily my co-driver (gf :D )beside helped me to restart and switch to mfm non-NT map

Return to “GPS Devices”