Tracking App for Nuvi

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
ThomasK

Tracking App for Nuvi

Postby ThomasK » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:33 am

Is there an app that I can upload onto the Garmin Nuvi 200 which can track (breadcrumb-style) hiking in the jungle?

Purpose of the App is to have a line on the GPS tracking my movements from the starting point. That way, if I get lost, I know the rough direction to get back to the starting point.

Appreciate if the link to the download can be included.

I hike only about once a month, so prefer not to buy another device.

Thanks, Thomas

zamad
Valued Contributor

Re: Tracking App for Nuvi

Postby zamad » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:17 pm

ThomasK wrote:Is there an app that I can upload onto the Garmin Nuvi 200 which can track (breadcrumb-style) hiking in the jungle?

Purpose of the App is to have a line on the GPS tracking my movements from the starting point. That way, if I get lost, I know the rough direction to get back to the starting point.

I am not aware of any app that can be uploaded onto the 200 because it already has a built-in feature to do that. It produces a magenta line of the route/track that you had made. It will record all your movements when you switch on your PND.

For a 'new' track/trip, you should clear the Trip Log memory. Here's how:
Tools >> My Data >> Clear Trip Log

To display your recent track/trip, you must enable it. Here's how:
Setting >> Trip Log >> Show (or Hide)

You might want to read this too: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3929, try it out and see if it works on your 200.

I hope you get good satellite signals in the jungle, because without which, your PND is good as gone.
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

cwyap
Valued Contributor

Postby cwyap » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:33 pm

ThomasK wrote:Is there an app that I can upload onto the Garmin Nuvi 200 which can track (breadcrumb-style) hiking in the jungle?

What's the duration of your jungle hiking trip? Remember that a PND is different from a handheld where battery life is concerned. At most your PND will last you for 4 hours? Unless you bring along a battery recharging device to power your Nuvi 200, or your hiking trip is just a 2-hour return journey, I would advise against using a PND for hiking trips.

If you don't want to spend much, you can always get the Garmin eTrex H. A good basic GPS unit and a good work horse too. Not expensive though it will be more expensive than the Nuvi 200 and even the Nuvi 1350 (not sure about its current price though; I paid RM600 for it 3 years ago). A handheld, like the eTrex H or the mapping unit 60CSx, has a battery life of between 18 to 20 hours using 2 pieces of AA alkaline batteries.
Courage is not living without fear.
Courage is being scared to death and doing the right thing anyway.
- Chae Richardson

ThomasK

Postby ThomasK » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:42 pm

Treks are usually 2-3 hours. Does a handheld like the eTrex H also depend on satellite availability?

I don’t get the “Tools -> My data -> Clear Trip Log” and my Settings does not have “Trip Log”.

I’m using the nuvi 200 wit software version 4.00, GPS sw version:2.6

Under Settings, it has System, Security, Navigation, Time, Language, Display, Map, Proximity Points

Thanks for your help.

Thomas

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:37 pm

Ooops! Sorry about that. I assumed (wrongly) that the 200 is very much like the 205. :oops:
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

cwyap
Valued Contributor

Postby cwyap » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:07 pm

ThomasK wrote:Treks are usually 2-3 hours. Does a handheld like the eTrex H also depend on satellite availability?

Better get a Garmin eTrex H then. Yes, eTrex H, like any other GPS devices, relies on signals transmitted by the GPS satellites.

If you want to know more about the eTrex H, check it here:-
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8705&ra=true

BTW, where do you do your jungle trekking, if you don't mind my asking?
- Chae Richardson

ThomasK

Postby ThomasK » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:30 pm

I join groups going on easy hikes, ex., to Puchong hill, Bukit Gasing, Bukit Indah, Saga hill, etc.

So there's no app for a Garmin Nuvi 200?

Thomas

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:50 am

ThomasK wrote:I join groups going on easy hikes, ex., to Puchong hill, Bukit Gasing, Bukit Indah, Saga hill, etc.

So there's no app for a Garmin Nuvi 200?

Thomas

"Nuvi" family of GPS are conceived for the mass market of vehicular applications. They are not made for good battery life, foot use in dense vegetation, not protected to take knocks / drops etc.... The correct application will be the hand-helds ....

Though lately with the new Garmin Montana, that segregation is getting grey ... one unit for all :-' Link : http://sites.garmin.com/montana/

cwyap
Valued Contributor

Postby cwyap » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:37 am

Thomas,

From those locations mentioned, you don't really need to have a breadcrumb to lead you back to your starting point. Those are well trodden trails. If you don't want to get a handheld, maybe this device will be help to you:-
http://www.lelong.com.my/gps-receiver-location-finder-data-logger-photo-tagger-76686110-2011-11-Sale-P.htm

Nonetheless if you are planning for serious jungle trekking, my advice is get a robust handheld. Spend a bit more but it will give you peace of mind and ensure that you can enjoy your trekkings safely (of course remember to use common sense when you "feel" or "sense" that the GPS is pointing to you a direction you think you shouldn't be going towards; the eTrex H doesn't give you this problem in the sense that it can't do routing as all it does is record your journey and when you want to retrace your steps, you just choose the TrackBack option).

For jungle trekking, I prefer to use the eTrex H (short day trip) though if I want more details (like contours & barometric reading) I will take the 60CSx (overnight, challenging terrain, & questionable weather).
- Chae Richardson

Return to “GPS Devices”