eTrex Series

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Re: eTrex Series

Postby keong8260 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:53 pm

kychow wrote:Hi silverbeauty - much apology.. I should have update my profile... I am based in Kedah M'sia hence will not be joining the coming S'pore GG.
Yes..I am learning about this device too.
And yes, I turn the device into USB-mode and read/access the file on the microSD. Mapsource able to read those .gpx files.

My concern is more on sending data to the device. I will find out more and share any learnings.

thank you.

Hey, why not you come to Alor Setar GG this May 1... then you might learn somethings too. :mrgreen:

kychow
Location: Kulim, Kedah, Malaysia (Forerunner 205, Nuvi 200, eTrex Vista HCx)

Postby kychow » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:43 am

Hi keong8260:-
Thanks for the GG invitation but I don't think I can make it to Alor Setar on May 01.

Hi JasonLee:-
I agreed that the eTrex can datalog 20 tracks with trackpoints up to 10,000 max each.
My problem is I cannot download huge tracklog to the HCx without having it truncated at 500 trackpoints.
Even if I connect the HCx as a USB device and manually copy the huge tracklog over to the microSD, this tracklog will not appear as saved track in the Track menu. Any workaround?

Thank.

kychow

Postby kychow » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:35 am

Can someone confirm that the Vista HCx will store the maximum 500 trackpoints per track for tracks that were saved after the tracklog activity?
I find that its a bit 'unacceptable' since we are able to track in 1sec/logging and have many details trackpoints for a long track but we can only do TracBack on saved tracks which allow maximum 500 points per track.
I may need all the logging details especially for long off-road, hiking and mountain-biking trails.

Thank you.

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:40 pm

kychow wrote:Hi JasonLee:-
I agreed that the eTrex can datalog 20 tracks with trackpoints up to 10,000 max each.
My problem is I cannot download huge tracklog to the HCx without having it truncated at 500 trackpoints.
Even if I connect the HCx as a USB device and manually copy the huge tracklog over to the microSD, this tracklog will not appear as saved track in the Track menu. Any workaround?

Thank.

I think we are not all talking about the same things hence the confusion.

Etrex can save track logs of max 10,000 points. I don't think there is a limit as long as there is memory space but I have not tested the limit so I am only guessing here.

I have only saved logs for transfer to my PC to view and manipulate in MapSource. I have not done it the other way round to transfer logs from the PC back into the unit. The only reasons I can think of for doing that is so that I can back-track or to use my tracks as a crude map where there are no maps. For many years I lived on such crude maps with my Magellan as there were no maps of Malaysia and Singapore available to my Magellan.

If your wish is to combine your tracks into a big one and transfer it back to your Etrex (for whatever reason) I cannot help you because I have not tried. If this is your intention, please make it clear and I am sure there may be others who have done it before and can show you how.
Lean not on your own understanding

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:45 pm

kychow wrote:I may need all the logging details especially for long off-road, hiking and mountain-biking trails.

OK, now your intention is clear. I did not read this post earlier and I was talking about the same thing for my Magellan - using the bread-crumb trails as a map.

Now that I have a Garmin, I think there are more options than that. Instead of doing that, why don't you learn how to make your own map? There are instructive tutorials in this forum to teach you how to create your own map. This will be a better work-around than using the crude bread-crumb trails.

kychow

Postby kychow » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:58 pm

JasonLee wrote:Now that I have a Garmin, I think there are more options than that. Instead of doing that, why don't you learn how to make your own map? There are instructive tutorials in this forum to teach you how to create your own map. This will be a better work-around than using the crude bread-crumb trails.

Hi JasonLee -
Yes.. I have built my own map before and able to combined it with Malsing/Malfree maps.
However, I think its 'unacceptable' for a tracking device like the Vista is unable to load a detail track (> 500 points) for navigation.

And yes the active track log can go up to 10,000 points but the navigation using TracBack is only relying on 500 points because once you save the track, Vista only intelligently saved up to the maximum (500 points).

Regards.

JasonLee
Regional Mapper

Postby JasonLee » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:04 pm

kychow wrote:Hi JasonLee -

However, I think its 'unacceptable' for a tracking device like the Vista is unable to load a detail track (> 500 points) for navigation.

And yes the active track log can go up to 10,000 points but the navigation using TracBack is only relying on 500 points because once you save the track, Vista only intelligently saved up to the maximum (500 points).

Regards.

Have you tried complaining to Garmin?

JasonLee
Regional Mapper

Postby JasonLee » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:17 pm

kychow wrote:And yes the active track log can go up to 10,000 points but the navigation using TracBack is only relying on 500 points because once you save the track, Vista only intelligently saved up to the maximum (500 points).
Regards.

Playing around with my friend's Etrex Legend HCx and reading the manual, I discovered something. This applies only to the HCx series.

The unit can write logs to both the internal memory and the SD card. In the internal memory, the 10,000-point limit applies and you are given an option whether or not to wrap (let the 10,001th track-point over-write point #1). However, if you choose in Track Setup to log tracks to the MicroSD card, by choosing the Log Track to Data Card option, the 10,000 point limit does not apply. This is what the manual says:

This file is a continuous compilation of all track data for the indicated date. As long as this feature is enabled, a new file is recorded for each day you use the unit. Recording continues until the card is filled.

Using this option allows you to record a large number of track points (depending on the capacity of the microSD card). Track logs on the data card are .gpx GPS position data files and are not used by your unit.

What a pity. Otherwise you can build big gpx files in MapSource and transfer to your microSD card. Anyway, it is good to know that you can have track logs bigger than 10,000 points.

Attached is one example of a log that has 10,534 points for a 3-hour hike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stanleyn

Postby stanleyn » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:38 am

I read previously (on another forum) that someone else had this issue with their Vista or Legend too. My Vista HcX now has the problem of the rubber lining on the sides coming loose. Looks like the glue they used on it has dried up and the rubber lining is loosening up. Anyone else had this problem before, and if so, did you have to send it back to Garmin to get the lining replaced, or did you DIY? I don't mind DIY-ing, just that i want to make sure i find the right type of glue for it.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:55 am

Mine sent back to Garmin Taiwan through local agent for replacement. Lucky still under warranty. They did not repair but gave me a re-furbished unit ... only problem got to get a new set of unlock codes for all my maps :(

Return to “GPS Devices”