eTrex Series

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
stanleyn

Re: eTrex Series

Postby stanleyn » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:32 am

Hmm... sounds bit troublesome if thats the case. Some more mine's likely out of warranty by now, probably 1.5 years i've had it i think. Will try and find a suitable glue for it, failing which have to send back... :(

Thanks Silverbeauty!

yoladu
Valued Contributor

Postby yoladu » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:04 pm

stanleyn wrote:I read previously (on another forum) that someone else had this issue with their Vista or Legend too. My Vista HcX now has the problem of the rubber lining on the sides coming loose. Looks like the glue they used on it has dried up and the rubber lining is loosening up. Anyone else had this problem before, and if so, did you have to send it back to Garmin to get the lining replaced, or did you DIY? I don't mind DIY-ing, just that i want to make sure i find the right type of glue for it.

remove the entire rubber lining, and be careful not to stretch it otherwise you will have to cut off some materials for it to fit. If you have to cut, do it at the bottom when the lanyard hole is, so it's not obvious.

Make sure all the glue is removed from the rubber lining as well as on the device. I used elephant glue (for glue sniffing type, and repair tyre puncture), apply evenly on both the lining and device, allow it to dry for about 10 mins or until it doesn't stick to your finger when touch.

Start from the top (the USB part), and slowly work your way down. You have to align the button sections accurately otherwise they will be difficult to activate.

If you are not a handyman, get professional help because it will get messy and could ruin your device

happy labor day :mrgreen:
Contribute exclusively to MFM. MSM don't get it !

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Fri May 01, 2009 1:45 pm

yoladu wrote:Start from the top (the USB part), and slowly work your way down. You have to align the button sections accurately otherwise they will be difficult to activate.

If you are not a handyman, get professional help because it will get messy and could ruin your device

happy labor day :mrgreen:

Another way, similar but less messy is to use a paper-thin double-sided tape instead of contact adhesive (elephant glue). Just completely remove the rubber, clean up both the inner side of the rubber and the GPS body with some alcohol so the double-sided tape will stick. Apply the double-sided tape to the body first. You may cut smaller strips to fill the gaps if you want the enter surface to be covered. Then apply back the rubber (as described by Bro Yoladu) onto the double-sided tape. I have been doing this for the rubber rings on my zoom lenses as they tend to stretch after some time. If I remember correctly, the thin double-sided tape was bought from Tesco.
Lean not on your own understanding

stanleyn

Postby stanleyn » Tue May 05, 2009 10:12 am

Cool bananas!! Will give it a go and see. Thanks lots you guys!

By the way, wouldn't super glue deteriorate the rubber lining stuff? I would've thought you would have to use some other not so toxic glue...

Cheers anyway...

stanleyn

Postby stanleyn » Mon May 18, 2009 4:51 pm

Question for all u eTrex users with digital compass.

On my Vista HcX, i find that sometimes there is a lag with the compass. Been using my unit recently to recce some trails for an upcoming hash, sometimes when stationary in 1 location, i can turn around at any angle, and the pointer will point to the direction that I am looking at, which is normal. Other times, it will freeze in place, regardless where I turn. When this happens I switch over to the compass screen and true enough, the compass is not moving at all. If I ignore it and wait for a while, next time I look at the screen, it is ok again. Either that, or if I switch off and on again, then its ok also. Anyone else experience this, and know whats the cause of the lag?

lfy81

Postby lfy81 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:04 pm

:tq: tq MFM, i am using it now and it is great.

fauzee
Polygon Mapper

Postby fauzee » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:56 pm

lfy81 wrote::tq: tq MFM, i am using it now and it is great.

:good: :good: bro..congratulate :mrgreen: :mrgreen: how much u bought :-? :-?
i still no enuff :$gone: :$gone: to buy..but my dream is Vista HcX with digital compass..i really need it..hope soon my saving enuff to buy it.. :D :D
~Lost Is Nothing~
...PLEASE INSTALL THE LATEST MAPS BEFORE DOIN' SOMETHIN'...

lfy81

Postby lfy81 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:32 pm

fauzee wrote:
lfy81 wrote::tq: tq MFM, i am using it now and it is great.

:good: :good: bro..congratulate :mrgreen: :mrgreen: how much u bought :-? :-?
i still no enuff :$gone: :$gone: to buy..but my dream is Vista HcX with digital compass..i really need it..hope soon my saving enuff to buy it.. :D :D

rm 999, no choice, the other shop is in butterworth, and i am from island side, so have to buy, i know amazon selling for rm 600 only, but i don't use credit card :mrgreen:

i have seen legend hcx in action in real jungle, really works :thumbsup: thats why i also buy, good luck with buying your vista hcx :mrgreen:
:rox:

vista99

Postby vista99 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:27 pm

firmware 3.0 is out for HCx/Vista

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... sp?id=3643

Changes made from version 2.80 to 3.00:

* Correct time scale of altimeter chart (Vista only).
* Add support for maps greater than 2 GB.
* Modify track log function for steady barometer output at power on ( Vista only ).
* Correct wrong indication of 'Vertical speed' and 'Glide ratio' ( Legend only).

lfy81

Postby lfy81 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Ok my simple review of my etrex Legend HCx, sensitive but not accurate enough.

A clearer and bigger picture in this below link because my picture upload limit is 800pixels

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/ ... llse-1.jpg

Return to “GPS Devices”