Nuvi 255W Part 2

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
mikecharlie4x4

Re: My Nuvi 255W problem

Postby mikecharlie4x4 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:50 pm

Bro Silverbeauty you are so 'chun'. The MFM map is with the gmapoem.img. I change it to gmapprom.img because the Thai is with gmapsupp.img. Now I can deselect the MFM map but alas I cannot deselect the Thai map pulak. Anymore tricks up your sleeve, bro?

Inggo
Contributor
Location: N04'37.399"E103'12.484" MyGPS,Nuvi,PapagoX2/X3/X5 Mapking, I-GO, GarminXT GoSPEED

Postby Inggo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:13 pm

mikecharlie4x4 wrote:Bro Silverbeauty you are so 'chun'. The MFM map is with the gmapoem.img. I change it to gmapprom.img because the Thai is with gmapsupp.img. Now I can deselect the MFM map but alas I cannot deselect the Thai map pulak. Anymore tricks up your sleeve, bro?

so, thai is your default map, x pa ler pakai jer while driving in peninsular..
my gmapsupp.img contain mfm + navnet+thai+philipina+vietnam+ausie&nz+middleeast, :lol: pun laju jugak.
my nuvi still NOT lagging while driving even the *.img file near to 1GB.
...maybe the -m'force'm- will be with you, always.. :peace:
:mrgreen: Skywalker

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:14 pm

Don't install any maps in your nuvi, but have them installed/copied into individual SD cards. You just plug in which card (ie map = gmapsupp.img) you want to use.
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

mikecharlie4x4

Postby mikecharlie4x4 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:31 pm

Thank you bros, so much for your advice. I will try one by one all the recommendation and see what comes. Kop kun mark. Largon

GoSpeed

Postby GoSpeed » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:52 pm

mikecharlie4x4 wrote:Bro Silverbeauty you are so 'chun'. The MFM map is with the gmapoem.img. I change it to gmapprom.img because the Thai is with gmapsupp.img. Now I can deselect the MFM map but alas I cannot deselect the Thai map pulak. Anymore tricks up your sleeve, bro?

i just got trick from Bro Inggo, try this:
- copy all *.img to your PC,
- rename mfm map as mfm_gmapsupp.img
- rename thai map as thai_gmapsupp.img
- Join that two img maps with GMAPTOOL to 1 image as gmapsupp.img
- then copyng back this one gmapsupp.img (contain 2 maps) to your GPS.

in navigation you can select & deselect any map you want :thumbsup:
You need for Speed? GoSPEED GPS ! it's customized skin.. 8-)

Inggo
Contributor
Location: N04'37.399"E103'12.484" MyGPS,Nuvi,PapagoX2/X3/X5 Mapking, I-GO, GarminXT GoSPEED

Postby Inggo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:56 pm

:oops:
:good:

gpsnerd
Contributor

Postby gpsnerd » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:03 pm

zamad wrote:Don't install any maps in your nuvi, but have them installed/copied into individual SD cards. You just plug in which card (ie map = gmapsupp.img) you want to use.

different country map on different sd card?

does installing map on sd card improve gps device (no lag)?
need to select map set location everytime when turning on the device
User of 205 / 205W
Currently using 255W and 205W, 4592 LM

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:09 pm

gpsnerd wrote:
zamad wrote:Don't install any maps in your nuvi, but have them installed/copied into individual SD cards. You just plug in which card (ie map = gmapsupp.img) you want to use.

Nuvis load selected maps into memory and run from there. SD card speed no significant.

If you have multiple maps, then need to select active map. This is one time procedure unless you change SD card.

Inggo
Contributor

Postby Inggo » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:08 am

gpsnerd wrote:

Bro, actually it's different way with Bro Zamad adviced..
1. Bro Zamad using 'safe way', but require a lot (some) of SD cards, its most safety way to avoid of brick your gps (hang) caused by corruption file.
2. My technique is only using main memory (not need SD card), just compile different country map to one file img.
your gmapsupp.img would become larger size, but you can select/deselect map country from mapinfo menus.

Don't worry, its NO Lagging during its strore in main memory.
No need select map every turning on, nuvi would memorized & save your default setup.

This technique it's more simple & most cheaper :mrgreen: (no need SD cards at all),
just using Gmaptool if you only have some img file collection or using Mapsource if you have complete set of master map.

gpsnerd
Contributor

Postby gpsnerd » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:20 pm

Inggo wrote:
gpsnerd wrote:

Bro, actually it's different way with Bro Zamad adviced..
1. Bro Zamad using 'safe way', but require a lot (some) of SD cards, its most safety way to avoid of brick your gps (hang) caused by corruption file.
2. My technique is only using main memory (not need SD card), just compile different country map to one file img.
your gmapsupp.img would become larger size, but you can select/deselect map country from mapinfo menus.

Don't worry, its NO Lagging during its strore in main memory.
No need select map every turning on, nuvi would memorized & save your default setup.

This technique it's more simple & most cheaper :mrgreen: (no need SD cards at all),
just using Gmaptool if you only have some img file collection or using Mapsource if you have complete set of master map.

Gmaptool or Mapsource can compile maps?
User of 205 / 205W
Currently using 255W and 205W, 4592 LM

Return to “GPS Devices”