Nuvi 205W Part 1

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
simseair
Valued Contributor

Re: Nuvi 205W

Postby simseair » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:48 pm

Hi,

I find the autozoom feature annoying at times. I am sure there are others who feel the same too. Is there any way to overcome this problem? It does not has a "disable" button unlike the 800 series or the handhelds.

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:56 pm

simseair wrote:Hi,

I find the autozoom feature annoying at times. I am sure there are others who feel the same too. Is there any way to overcome this problem? It does not has a "disable" button unlike the 800 series or the handhelds.

I think it is OK for me. Why it bother you so much, bro simseair? :mrgreen:

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:14 am

Hi Bros/Sista,

Recently bought a Nuvi 205W Taiwan with Fw version 2.60. I was using a Nuvi 300 UK and find the 'Custom POIs' feature a great thing to have for separating my Favorites POIs. I tried to search the 205W but could not find this feature. Am I right or have I missed something... Thank you for any help... cheers!
Common Sense Is Not Common.

johnTan
Valued Contributor

Postby johnTan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:55 am

moeyhc wrote:Hi Bros/Sista,

Recently bought a Nuvi 205W Taiwan with Fw version 2.60. I was using a Nuvi 300 UK and find the 'Custom POIs' feature a great thing to have for separating my Favorites POIs. I tried to search the 205W but could not find this feature. Am I right or have I missed something... Thank you for any help... cheers!

Where to ? > Extras > Custom POIs
This is custom POIs location of my Nuvi 200W Taiwan, don't know whether the same.

Actually gpi file wherever to store, my nuvi 200w also can read it.
Eventhough I Create new folder with any name and outside Garmin folder to save all the gpi file,
my nuvi still able to read the gpi file. Thus, That's not must save the gpi file into Garmin\POI\,
To save at Garmin\POI\ for us to know that inside it stores custom POI file.
but inside My nuvi ,the Custom POI file store at Garmin\mfmCPOI\.......
No problem for my nuvi to read the GPI file from this folder.

If Nuvi can't detected any GPI file inside the internal or external memory,
it will prompt "No Extras loaded. For details, please visit http://www.garmin.com/extras.

moeyhc
Valued Contributor

Postby moeyhc » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:44 pm

Thanks Bro JohnTan,

I tried that but my custom POI set is empty (listed in the menu but empty)... I have created it using Mapsource and than use GPSBabel to convert the GDB to GPI. Will try again and feedback the results....cheers

hornet
Regional Mapper

Postby hornet » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:57 pm

Use Garmin POI loader easy.
Save as gdb file then use POI loader convert to gpi file or upload unit straight away.

http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simseair
Valued Contributor

Postby simseair » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:26 pm

Hi Bro Keong,

I dislike the "big brother" mindset of Garmin which seemed to indicate that they know what is best for you on the gps display screen. Users cannot control the zoom level. Many TomTom and Magellan sets allow the autozoom control to be turned off. But not Garmin. I am sure that many users will find that, while they would like their screens to display at certain zoom level, the screens will autozoom to a different level.

It used to be quite bad for the 200W which autozoomed quite frequently. With the 205W, the autozoom is less but it is still frustrating when you want the zoom level to stay constant and the unit just zoomed by itself when you turn a junction.

keong8260 wrote:
simseair wrote:Hi,

I think it is OK for me. Why it bother you so much, bro simseair? :mrgreen:

Rebel

Postby Rebel » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:53 pm

Hello,

I don't mean to interrupt and I hope I'm in the right thread for my question.
Did a little search but still couldn't get anything.

I was told that you could get a Garmin Nuvi 205 in Sim Lim Square for SGD200 which is about RM300 off the retail price here. I know this is hearsay and rather unrealistic but I couldn't get anymore information from the person who told me this. As I'm planning for a trip to Singapore for a couple of days soon, it'll be great if I could save some RMs if I could get it for such price. If it's true that is.

Can anyone from SG verify this? Is buying Garmin in Singapore still cheaper than in KL?

Many thanks and my apologies if this has been discussed before.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:20 pm

Rebel wrote:Hello,

I don't mean to interrupt and I hope I'm in the right thread for my question.
Did a little search but still couldn't get anything.

I was told that you could get a Garmin Nuvi 205 in Sim Lim Square for SGD200 which is about RM300 off the retail price here. I know this is hearsay and rather unrealistic but I couldn't get anymore information from the person who told me this. As I'm planning for a trip to Singapore for a couple of days soon, it'll be great if I could save some RMs if I could get it for such price. If it's true that is.

Can anyone from SG verify this? Is buying Garmin in Singapore still cheaper than in KL?

Many thanks and my apologies if this has been discussed before.

I do not think you can get the Nuvi 205 at retail price of Sin$200 off a shop in Sin. You can only get that price off the web .. amazon.com going for about USD$135. http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-205-3-5-In ... B0015F0A8G

Feel free to call Mr Yan at Perfect Watch@Sim Lim Square for a quote. ( Google for contact number )

Price at Trend Mobile at Funan Sin is about $278 http://www.trendsmobile.com/main/catego ... goryID=259

If you can come end of following week, we are having a gg in Singapore viewtopic.php?p=31319#p31319

moeyhc
Valued Contributor

Postby moeyhc » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:48 pm

Hello Bros & Sista,

Need help again. I am charging my Nuvi 205W after draining it fully (auto power off) since this morning. The screen still shows " Charging battery Completely " It is 'Bad' English from Garmin or it is really charging it completely? My Nuvi 300 display " Charging Battery Completed " when done. What does your unit display when it is fully charged?... Thank you for your help... cheers!

Return to “GPS Devices”