Nuvi 205W Part 1

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
fidodido

Re: Nuvi 205W

Postby fidodido » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:22 pm

Yes, Garmin needs not to read file from POI folder.
As long as there is poi file anywhere inside Garmin folder (Correct if I am wrong), Nuvi will read it.

SureHeboh wrote:Just now, during one of my weekend drive-arounds, I think the display lag issue apparently disappeared. The screen refresh rate was definitely faster. That made me wonder if it was the GPI files in the \POI folder after all. It gave me the frights when I still got voice alerts on speed traps! I could swear that my \POI folder is empty! and Dr. Nightmare was not selected either. #-o Later [just now] I realised that I had earlier created another folder [\tempFiles] that also contained several GPI files including the SpeedTrap file. Seems that the nuvi not only read from the \POI folder, but anywhere else in the memory :ko: ... Can anyone verify this?

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Re: Garmin 205W: do I need a screen protector

Postby JasonLee » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:24 pm

gedebe wrote:Jason: on another matter, is there any track log in 205w that I could use wnutrack to plot my track?

Hi Bro Gedebe,

Did you manage to download your Trip Logs using MapSource?

I have found another way. Your Trip Logs (together with your waypoints) are in your Current.gpx file in the Garmin\GPX folder in your GPS internal memory. Open Current.gpx with MapSource and you can see everything you have recorded.
Lean not on your own understanding

simseair
Valued Contributor

Postby simseair » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi,

I just got a 205W and I noticed that the screen lag is quite bad as compared with my 200W. When I set the Map View to "Track Up" and when I turn a corner, I notice that the map turns slowly. The map will take about 2 secs to "track up" - ie. taking about 2 secs before the straight road in front of me is shown as a vertical line. My 200W will do it instantly.

Initially, I thought that the MFM map has too much data and I deleted some files like the POI and the contours. Still the same problem. I set the Map Detail to "Normal" and it is still the same. My software version is 4.80 which I believed is the latest.

Just wondering if anyone notice or suffer the same problem. Sometimes the line representing the straight road ahead will be slanted slightly. This is frustrating.

norwadi

Postby norwadi » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:44 pm

There are some discussions on lagging problems here.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1580

simseair wrote:Hi,

I just got a 205W and I noticed that the screen lag is quite bad as compared with my 200W. When I set the Map View to "Track Up" and when I turn a corner, I notice that the map turns slowly. The map will take about 2 secs to "track up" - ie. taking about 2 secs before the straight road in front of me is shown as a vertical line. My 200W will do it instantly.

Initially, I thought that the MFM map has too much data and I deleted some files like the POI and the contours. Still the same problem. I set the Map Detail to "Normal" and it is still the same. My software version is 4.80 which I believed is the latest.

Just wondering if anyone notice or suffer the same problem. Sometimes the line representing the straight road ahead will be slanted slightly. This is frustrating.

simseair
Valued Contributor

Postby simseair » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:50 pm

Hi Norwadi,

I do not think it is the map issue as I am comparing the 205W and the 200W using the same map. I did notice that the 200W tends to "track up" faster most of the time.

ajay

Postby ajay » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:12 pm

new 205W owner reporting :)
it's soooo fast compared to GMXT =D>
from Garmin Que for Pocket PC to Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile to Nuvi 205W to Papago M9 for Android & now Garmin Nuvi 2576.

yoladu
Valued Contributor

Postby yoladu » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:51 pm

simseair wrote:Hi Norwadi,

I do not think it is the map issue as I am comparing the 205W and the 200W using the same map. I did notice that the 200W tends to "track up" faster most of the time.

This is also my observation when comparing my N200W with the N550

:-k
Contribute exclusively to MFM. MSM don't get it !

Lanujang

Re: Nuvi 205W case

Postby Lanujang » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:59 pm

hi all,
i got myself a leather pouch for my 205W. :thumbsup:

after spending half a day in LYP yesterday, i found one at Mobile Arena. poorer by RM50. :mrgreen:

just to share...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ajay

Postby ajay » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:25 pm

nice pouch! where is mobile arena located?
from Garmin Que for Pocket PC to Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile to Nuvi 205W to Papago M9 for Android & now Garmin Nuvi 2576.

Lanujang

Postby Lanujang » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:49 pm

ajay wrote:nice pouch! where is mobile arena located?

1st floor. as you stand facing the escalator to 2nd floor, on your left. big shop.

Return to “GPS Devices”