Nuvi 205W Part 1

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Re: Nuvi 205W

Postby JasonLee » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:22 pm

jeremaze wrote:as for tracking purposes, the Nuvi200 is not a good choice with low accuracy.
Trip log feature in N205 not designed as a tracking tool as well, it function as a log if user want to know how and where they came from.

Having matched the tracks recorded simultaneously by the Nuvi 200 and the Etrex Vista side-by-side, I beg to differ on the assumed poor accuracy of the Nuvi 200. Of course the downside of the Nuvi is the short 5-hour battery life as it is really not designed to be used outside the car.

See for yourself and be surprised.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lean not on your own understanding

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:49 pm

Let me show you another side-by-side comparison between my Nuvi 200 and my hand-held Magellan Meridian Color set to its highest resolution of 10metres/track point and be amazed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aceedburn

Re: Garmin 205W: do I need a screen protector

Postby aceedburn » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:34 pm

screen protectors are HIGHLY recommended for all nuvis. imagine seeing scratches on the touchscreen of your brand new nuvi after 1 week? a RM30 screen protector is all it takes to keep your unit looking brand new even after years of usage!
nüvi® 205 & mfm - always takes you home!

JasonLee
Regional Mapper

Postby JasonLee » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:44 pm

Bro gedebe,

I suggest you decide after playing with it for a while. The 205 even without a protector is quite insensitive to touch and quite difficult to scroll by dragging unlike the 200. Stick on a PE film or something similar to the protector and see if the sensitivity is still acceptable to you then you decide whether you still want to plonk money down for a protector. I don't use one because I don't intend to keep my Nuvi forever. If it gets badly scratched after 2 years, it is a good excuse and time for me to buy a newer model. :rolleyes:

Bear in mind that My Nuvi 200 is only 10 months old and it is now already obsolete (discontinued). Good thing is, it has not a single scratch on the screen but already many scratches and nicks on the casing.

gedebe

Postby gedebe » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:48 am

JasonLee wrote:Bro gedebe,

I suggest you decide after playing with it for a while. The 205 even without a protector is quite insensitive to touch and quite difficult to scroll by dragging unlike the 200. Stick on a PE film or something similar to the protector and see if the sensitivity is still acceptable to you then you decide whether you still want to plonk money down for a protector. I don't use one because I don't intend to keep my Nuvi forever. If it gets badly scratched after 2 years, it is a good excuse and time for me to buy a newer model. :rolleyes:

Bear in mind that My Nuvi 200 is only 10 months old and it is now already obsolete (discontinued). Good thing is, it has not a single scratch on the screen but already many scratches and nicks on the casing.

Wah! So many disadvantage of 205W compare to 200W. No wonder I feel like not comfortable dragging the cursor around.
Jason: on another matter, is there any track log in 205w that I could use wnutrack to plot my track?

JasonLee
Regional Mapper

Postby JasonLee » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:15 am

gedebe wrote:Jason: on another matter, is there any track log in 205w that I could use wnutrack to plot my track?

No need.

Just use MapSource to receive the tracks from your device then in Mapsource you can do whatever you want with it and save it as gdb files eventually.

gedebe

Postby gedebe » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:03 pm

Good suggesion on Jason for checking 1st, but just for my info, what is the screen protector that you all used?

stuartloh
Location: KEDAH.205W,1350,GMXT N95,Holux Gpsmile 62F,Papago M8.2

Postby stuartloh » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:56 pm

ajay wrote:what's the difference between 200W & 205W?

1, The most important difference is 205W can finish searching the position more faster(very fast,in just few seconds only when you start the search at the same location).thats the most important when you come out from a building(shopping malls).

I had the complaint from my sister when using the 200W that i sold to her(as second hand :tease: ),most of the time when coming out from shopping mall have to stop by the roadside to regain the location at least for 30 seconds to one minute.

2, 205W can categories the POI under difference Category.that is good when you want to have a quicker scroll search.but 200W can't do that.

3, 205W have QWERTY keyboard.

4, 200W have a longer using time(5 hours),where as the 205W is about 4 hours.
人说人生如梦,我说梦如人生!

ajay

Postby ajay » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:17 pm

thnx for yr info! i think it's good enough to go for 205w. i hear it uses faster processor too right?
from Garmin Que for Pocket PC to Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile to Nuvi 205W to Papago M9 for Android & now Garmin Nuvi 2576.

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:44 pm

My 205W was experiencing severe display lag for the last few weeks or so. The refresh rate was about 1 sec, and always lag between 1 to 2 seconds even though my speed was around 80 - 90 km/h on highways. At roundabouts, my vehicle icon is still in the roundabout even though I've exited! :cry:

My initial thoughts was that the latest maps were more detailed and complex even though it is still less than 40MB, hence the lag. When I loaded it with earlier maps and went driving around, the lag was still very pronounced. I then suspected it was the GPI files in the nuvi \POI folder... so I deleted ALL of them (I actually moved them to my PC), and removed my SD card.

Just now, during one of my weekend drive-arounds, I think the display lag issue apparently disappeared. The screen refresh rate was definitely faster. That made me wonder if it was the GPI files in the \POI folder after all. It gave me the frights when I still got voice alerts on speed traps! I could swear that my \POI folder is empty! and Dr. Nightmare was not selected either. #-o Later [just now] I realised that I had earlier created another folder [\tempFiles] that also contained several GPI files including the SpeedTrap file. Seems that the nuvi not only read from the \POI folder, but anywhere else in the memory :ko: ... Can anyone verify this?
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

Return to “GPS Devices”